Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Cornwall
Does Bootcamp have any other uses besides being able to install MS Vista along side Leopard also how much extra memory/ram does it need if I was to take up this option?

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
bootcamp has its uses as non-destrutively splitting your harddrive. Useful for some... however in leopard, you can do this (i think) with Disk Utility.

It doesnt need any extra RAM as such, just the minimum that vista needs, since you wont be running OS X and Windows alongside, the two operating systems dont share.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
Boot Camp creates a secondary partition on your internal hard-drive, in order to allow you to run Windows XP/Vista (and several Linux distros I reckon) natively. That is, when using Boot Camp, you can run OS X OR Windows/Linux only. That is, the only requirements for you to use Windows/Linux is for your hardware to meet the minimum requirements of the OS.

Windows Vista Minimum | Recommended Hardware Requirements

Processor 800 MHz | 1.0 GHz
Memory 512 MB RAM | 1 GB RAM
Graphics card DirectX 9 capable | DirectX 9 capable GPU with Hardware Pixel Shader v2.0 and WDDM 1.0 driver support
Graphics memory 128 MB RAM supports up to 2,756,000 total pixels (e.g. 1920 × 1200) or 512 MB+ for greater resolutions such as 2560x1600
HDD capacity 20 GB | 40 GB
HDD free space 15 GB | 15 GB
Other drives CD-ROM | DVD-ROM

If you are looking for a way to run OS X AND Windows/Linux at the same time, check out VMware Fusion or Parallels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.