Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey dudes!

I'm running VPC 6.1 2000 Professional and its going REALLY well on my 17"

My 17 has 1 gig of RAM --- VPC has 512 MB allocated to it, as well as a maxed out VRAM

I'm running ArcView 3.3, a GIS software, over it, and its all running really well within the above configuration

DO NOT PURCHASE VPC WITH XP --- I tried XP inside the Apple Store (even with the animations turned off, and so on) and it was not as fast, nor was it as stable as 2000

ArcView is also a pretty graphic intensive app, so I'm impressed, so far, with how well its running

Until now, I've been using my SONY VAIO Pentium 3 500 mhz laptop for ArcView, but the speed on VPC definitely rivals my VAIO (it may even be exactly similar)

feel free to ask any questions below

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I find it funny that someone uses 'Loving' and 'VPC' in the same sentence and and yeah W2K in the mix too

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Re: Loving VPC 6.1 2K Pro

Originally posted by HasanDaddy
DO NOT PURCHASE VPC WITH XP --- I tried XP inside the Apple Store (even with the animations turned off, and so on) and it was not as fast, nor was it as stable as 2000

I think it depends on what you're using it for. If your usage is minimal and you happen to have a copy of XP, by all means use it rather than buying 2000. I mainly use VPC only for Kazaalite and a couple work-related apps that don't require much power. I already had a copy of XP that I bought for a PC that no longer functions (my VAIO laptop with a broken display). XP on VPC works fine for my limited needs, and my Mac has far less power than yours (I have a 12" PB with 640MB RAM).

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Thanks for the info. XP is why I switched to Apple at work. Yesterday I just setup a 17" 1Ghz iMac for the family (Now it is their turn to switch.), so when I get them VPC I will make sure I get 2k.

FYI, my experience with VPC, is if you have 5 and go to 6, to redo your VPC OS's and don't upgrade them. I was amazed to see an iBook with a straight version 6 run circles around my 1Ghz TiBook. (I had version 5 and upgraded to 6.)

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
GIS on Virtual PC

Have you had a chance to run ArcGIS 8.3 on that machine yet?
I'm thinking about getting a PB 12" and getting virtual PC for that
machine but I am not quite convinced I can ditch the desktop PC
yet.

Thanks,
Mark.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
xyian said:
Have you had a chance to run ArcGIS 8.3 on that machine yet?
I'm thinking about getting a PB 12" and getting virtual PC for that
machine but I am not quite convinced I can ditch the desktop PC
yet.

Thanks,
Mark.

I would save a few more dollars adn go for the 15" with the faster processor. Why 15", because VPC takes up room on the desktop and you might want to work with something else while keeping an eye on it, plus the 15" has a little more power, which is what VPC needs.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
I would have to agree that of any versions and windows and VPC, the combination of VPC 6.1 and Win2k Pro is the best match. XP . . . . about as evil as on a PC. Just make sure you have as much RAM assigned to windows as you can afford.

Hopeful the video is much better is VPC 7.0 . . . .

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I believe that this is the first thread I have read that paints VPC in such glowing terms. I have used for years with few complaints, but then I don't demand much of the App. Most of my stuff works in X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.