PDA

View Full Version : 8gb vs 16gb

dr4cula
Nov 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
Hi,

This topic has probably been discussed many times before, but I really didn't want to hi-jack someone else's thread to ask my question.

I'm not sure which iPod touch to get - the 8gb model or the 16gb model.
The 8gb model would fit perfectly for my music collection. I currently have 2gb 1st gen nano. It fit my music collection quite well, although later on, I had to start deleting some old songs off from it to fit new albums. But with video, I'm not sure if it would fit. I'm sure I would like to get a few live concerts on it plus maybe a couple of movies when going from one city to another or when going abroad. I won't use photos probably at all, but you never know.

When the touch first came out, I was sure to get the 8gb model, but as time went on, I started thinking of 16gb. Now I'm still thinking which one to get. As for the 16gb, the price is the factor that keeps me questioning if I should get it. The 8gb one is 4900EEK (~$453, ~218) and the 16gb one is 6490EEK (~$600, ~288). Now, I could probably afford it, since I'm splitting the price with my sister, but in here, people are getting iPhones from the US and selling them for 7000EEK, which makes me actually quite pissed off to pay almost as much for iPod touch. I don't want and I don't need iPhone, but the point remains the same ... I know I should just ignore, but yeah :/
Ah, and one more thing. With the 16gb, I think my touch will have a longer tech-living. By that, I mean, that probably with the next touch upgrade, Apple will get rid of the 8gb model, which means I will be outdated. Happened with my nano as the 2nd gen ones started from 4gb. Although I don't think it's that necessary, but still, it has been bugging me :D

Anyway, could you be kind enough to share your thoughts on this? Also, could you post your model's capacity and list the stuff you have on it? Like how many gigabytes of music, videos, photos etc.

Thanks in advance,
dr4cula

WildCowboy
Nov 4, 2007, 03:00 PM
I think most people will recommend the 16 GB one, as it allows you to grow into the capacity of it. Video takes up a good amount of room, so be prepared for that and know that you can't upgrade the storage later...better too much capacity at first than running out of room.

And yes, the 16 GB iPod touch is the same price as the iPhone in the US as well. But they're very different beasts...you get twice the storage with the iPod touch, and you aren't saddled with a monthly contract for phone service. They're really completely different products.

I wouldn't worry about the 8 GB iPod touch being "orphaned" in any way if the lower capacity gets dropped in the future. It's the exact same technology as in the 16 GB model and Apple will continue to support them just fine. So you wouldn't be outdated in any technical sense...the only thing would be capacity as I mentioned above.

Only you can really answer whether you can afford the jump to 16 GB. But in general, buy the largest amount you can afford and more than you think you're going to need.

Phil A.
Nov 4, 2007, 03:03 PM
I went through the same thought process and finally decided on the 16GB one. I know it's the same price as the iPhone but it does have double the capacity and that extra capacity comes in really useful when you start putting movies on it. A movie ripped at decent quality for the ipt comes in around 1GB so an 8GB model will fill up pretty quickly.
The way I looked at it was whatever I bought will last me 2-3 years so it will cost me about 25 - 40 a year over the life of the device to go for the bigger device and on that basis it's a no-brainer.
In short, if you've got the cash, I'd definitely recommend the 16GB: You won't regret it :)

mmfy
Nov 4, 2007, 03:41 PM
I went through the same thought process and finally decided on the 16GB one. I know it's the same price as the iPhone but it does have double the capacity and that extra capacity comes in really useful when you start putting movies on it. A movie ripped at decent quality for the ipt comes in around 1GB so an 8GB model will fill up pretty quickly.
The way I looked at it was whatever I bought will last me 2-3 years so it will cost me about 25 - 40 a year over the life of the device to go for the bigger device and on that basis it's a no-brainer.
In short, if you've got the cash, I'd definitely recommend the 16GB: You won't regret it :)

Sorry a bit off topic (I went for 8GB - cheaper b7 $100 US and in 2 yrs whatever I get will prolly be outdated anyway so best start saving from now :)) - but why do ppl always call the 1 GB mark as decent movie quality?? I've been using handbrake and for the 3.5" ipod/iPhone screens I can get great quality at 400 - 600 MB! Matter of fact the usual 700 Divx/Xvid movie looks great on a 17" monitor fo that matter if encoded well. Is it just my eyes or are there visiophiles on here when they call 1 Gb "decent" rather than outrageously oversampled video??

cwolves
Nov 4, 2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry a bit off topic (I went for 8GB - cheaper b7 $100 US and in 2 yrs whatever I get will rolly be outdated anyway so bests tart saving from now) - but why do ppl always call the 1 GB mark as decent movie quality?? I've been using handbrake and for the 3.5" ipod/iPhone screens I can get great quality at 400 - 600 MB! Matter of act the usual 700 Divx/Xvid movie looks great on a 17" monitor fo that matter if encoded well. Is it just my eyes or are their visiophiles on here when they call 1 Gb "decent" rather than outrageously oversampled video??

I completely agree. I posted a comparison shot of a 10 sec clip on here a while ago: 100kbps --> 1,000kbps. 400kbps was definitely good quality for the touch which would put a 2 hour movie with 128kbps audio at around 450MB.

Someone else posted that 800kbps was the sweet spot for him. I then opened the 800kbps clip and compared a frame to the 700kbps and 900kbps clips in photoshop. I literally couldn't find a single difference between the three.

People just have this notion in their heads that 1MBPS = good quality. This was true several years ago but it's definitely not today.

milla06
Nov 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
To answer your question I will tell you what I think about touch after getting my 16GB one. Why didn't Apple produce 100GB Ipod Touch? To get things straight it depends on what type of user you are. Also consider that with touch can upload music, video clips (or even full movies), pix and podcast/vodcast if you gonna use it to its full potential.
I hope that is helpful

Aaleck
Nov 4, 2007, 09:45 PM
Get the 16 then you don't have to worry about it and you know you will have space for the future.

dr4cula
Nov 5, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks alot for your replies! Guess I'll get the 16gb model :D