PDA

View Full Version : Apple faithful dial M for mutiny

MacBytes
Nov 4, 2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple faithful dial M for mutiny (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071104220657)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rjwill246
Nov 4, 2007, 09:16 PM
This "article" is valueless. Why print such utter rubbish?

padrino121
Nov 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
This "article" is valueless. Why print such utter rubbish?

Using your logic this comment is even less useful then the article itself. If you would be so kind please explain why this "article" is "utter rubbish" since although it is a bit of a commentary it brings with it a number of strong facts.

bluebomberman
Nov 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
It's a pretty confusing article - there's like three or four different themes running through the brief article, and they all compete with each other instead of reinforcing each other.

Not well written.

XNine
Nov 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Anyone stupid enough to buy an iPhone and not use the designated carrier in the product's contract gets what they deserve when Apple locks them out.

There's a contract that you agree to when you purchase the unit. If you don't like those terms, don't buy the product and save yourself frustration and money.

A revolt? How about we just string up people with no common sense and beat them?

todd2000
Nov 4, 2007, 10:46 PM
Did they even do research before writing this "article?"

They were offered a $100 voucher but that was not enough to silence them.

Judging from the response on these forums, the $100 was enough to silence almost everyone.

Wil Shipley, who bought an extraordinary 15 iPhones, calculated that he could have saved $3,000 if he had waited to buy until after the reduction. But on his blog he said it was not so much this that angers him as the iPhone's 'closed' system which prevents third parties adding their own software applications.

Ahh where have they been? 3rd party apps are coming in Feb.

He also condemned the once idealistic San Francisco company for exploiting the sale of ringtones as no other phone operator does.

San Francisco???? Last I checked apple was based in Cupertino. As for "exploiting" the sale of ringtones, there are companies that charge more then Apple, or at least about the same for ringtones.

rjwill246
Nov 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
Using your logic this comment is even less useful then the article itself. If you would be so kind please explain why this "article" is "utter rubbish" since although it is a bit of a commentary it brings with it a number of strong facts.

Factually "fluff" ---and thus still not worth responding to. There is a place for discernment, something totally lacking in this authour's armamentarium.
So, I am not bothering to comment-- others have done that, quite well, too.

Linkster82
Nov 5, 2007, 12:47 AM
I fail to see where a conglomeration of blog entries and comments from rival phone and service providers quantify as a revolt of the mac faithful. Seems a patchwork of garbage someone sewed together into an incoherent article.

Also, anyone have any serious problems being on an EDGE network? I sure haven't.

nstrudwick
Nov 5, 2007, 03:51 AM
This article is rather a mixture.

However, it draws attention to what we've always known that being an early adopter of a new technology always risks that it will suddenly improve or get cheaper. If we want the cachet of having the first model there is a risk that we may lose out in other areas.

It does make one other important point, that Apple is changing quite obviously from the "cool, friendly" company to something much more mainstream and perhaps less user-friendly?

jabbawok
Nov 5, 2007, 05:58 AM
I think Apple as a company aren't changing as much as our perception of them is. The bigger Apple gets the bigger target they become. One of the big environmental groups admitted to targeting Apple over toxins in the iPhone simply because they were a high visibility target and made good copy, despite there being other worse offenders.
As for the specific case of the iPhone unlocking and 3rd party apps. The iPhone is sold as tied to one network and with no support for 3rd party apps and when used as directed it is as good as any electronic device.
In my younger days i used to mess about overclocking CPUs and hacking graphics cards. I never felt the need to moan about AMD when i fried a CPU clocking it way passed its spec. Apple should be applauded for responding to their customers and announcing 3rd party app support in the future. :apple:

jayducharme
Nov 5, 2007, 08:16 AM
The article does seem a bit over-the-top in places. But I've had similar concerns. Things like the GUI gaffs in Leopard (those useless, faceless folder icons in the dock, the clumsy incorporation of stacks, removing contextual menus, etc...), the problems with the firewall, the inability to add your own ringtones to the iPhone, putting a calendar into the Touch but not allowing input (plus having no way to hear an event alarm except through headphones) ... on and on and on. It's as if the ship has come loose from its moorings. Apple has made occasional missteps before, but rarely have the mistakes been in the areas of user interface or user satisfaction. Then again, never before has Apple taken on so many different products.

I don't think that the problem is greed. I tend to think its more like other huge corporations: layers of administration begin to dilute the effectiveness of whatever talent they've hired. They need another strong visionary like Ives to help bring consistency to the myriad products Apple has in the pipe, focusing on enhancing the user experience. Time Machine is great, but it won't save the OS if users are struggling to find files or organize their data.

Silencio
Nov 5, 2007, 11:27 AM
Truly useless article.

Nice that they use Wil Shipley, a developer who had a vested interest in creating software for the iPhone, as the primary voice of "revolt". He's a smart guy, but the blog post they referenced had some very highly flawed reasoning governed more by emotion than common sense. And now one of his main complaints -- the lack of a iPhone SDK -- has been publicly addressed by Apple, yet the Guardian couldn't be bothered to mention that fact, nor could they reference Shipley's most current blog entry where he gushes about the potential iPhone games he could come up with that take advantage of the UI and networking features of the device.

Basically, The Guardian will never miss an opportunity to bash Apple. So it has been, so it will always be. :rolleyes: