Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
When we first heard about WiiConnect 24, there was talk about it being used to update games. New weapons, levels, characters, etc.

Is this ever going to happen? How far could this go? For example, could they send an update that would allow BWii to use voice chat?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii (and DS), and have told many people they're the most fun I've had gaming in a long, long time. But I feel like there's so much more that could be done with them that's not (game updates, DS demo's from WiiConnect 24, just 1 code for your friends for games, etc etc).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I may be wrong, because I have no inside knowledge from Nintendo on the subject...but I don't really think there is a mechanism for such patches. I mean, obviously you can't change things installed on the game disk; on PCs, you install a game to the hard drive so updates are easy. On an XBox 360 or PS3, each game might have their own little directory on the hard drive where updates can be dumped and the game has been programmed to pull new content from.

I'd imagine if BWii hasn't been designed with patching in mind, i.e. has not been told to pull updates from a certain directory on an SD card or built in memory, it would not be possible.

Also, there's not really enough free space in the flash memory for every game to be dumping a lot of updates...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.