PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger for Mac officially Dropped... before its rebir...

MacBytes
Nov 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: MSN Messenger for Mac officially Dropped... before its rebirth (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071105162025)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

vohdoun
Nov 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
It was so nice compared to the Windows version, simple no ads... but hahah! I'm not surprised!

Windows Live Messenger 9 should ship in late 2008 or early 2009, and Microsoft is trying to work out a way for Live Messenger users to chat with AIM/GTalk/ICQ-based users.

They are going that slow they'll be lapped!

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
Adium ftw. I use Mercury Messenger for video, and would love MS to make a great replacement for that...

johny5
Nov 5, 2007, 03:35 PM
why would M$ take time at creating a new Messenger if theyre not going to make money out of it?

I would have looked forward to it though (even though the existing CUT DOWN VERSION is buggy as hell haha) I removed it, the small amount of space it was taking up i wasn't bothered about, it was the pure fact of have a crap buggy M$ app on my Mac. I swear they built in bugs to either upset the Mac users or simply to have a buggy app on a Mac.

hear hear Adium ftw!

Kilamite
Nov 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'll look forward to Messenger:Mac in 2008.

Hope they get it out in January.

pknz
Nov 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
Its such a joke.

Peace
Nov 5, 2007, 04:07 PM
Good riddance!

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 04:08 PM
why would M$ take time at creating a new Messenger if theyre not going to make money out of it?

I would have looked forward to it though (even though the existing CUT DOWN VERSION is buggy as hell haha) I removed it, the small amount of space it was taking up i wasn't bothered about, it was the pure fact of have a crap buggy M$ app on my Mac. I swear they built in bugs to either upset the Mac users or simply to have a buggy app on a Mac.

hear hear Adium ftw!

If all Mac users go to AIM for example, it would convince at least some of their Windows friends to switch to AIM, and there would be a knock on effect. All I hear from potential switchers wondering about software: Does it have Word, Excel and MSN?

zombitronic
Nov 5, 2007, 05:10 PM
<sarcasm>

How awful.

</sarcasm>

chillywilly
Nov 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
Except for some minor issues that I've been able to work around, MSN Messenger for Mac 6.0.3 worked pretty well for me.

But reading the updates that the new Messenger will have next year, I see some nice improvements and additions that I look forward to, like the ability to communicate with other IM client users. I know this function is possible in iChat using a Jabber account, but making it more seamless will be welcome.

stuff99
Nov 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
the new messenger should have offline msging and webcam support like our windows counterparts.

MikeTheC
Nov 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah. What a shame. What a real frackin' shame.

Now it looks like I'll have to go to Adium full-time.

Oh, wait. I already have.

Never mind.

</sarcasm>

anti-microsoft
Nov 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
Oh BooHooHooooo!! I wan't MSN Messenger Baaaaack!! Waaaaa!!

AS IF!! BYE, BYE!!

GSMiller
Nov 5, 2007, 07:49 PM
Dang could they take any longer to release it? I could have all my friends converted to the Mac and using iChat by the time Microsoft could release the next generation of Messenger:Mac.

hob
Nov 5, 2007, 08:35 PM
they should drop it altogether and just bundle Adium - which I think is now getting video support as well? FTW indeed :)

logandzwon
Nov 5, 2007, 08:49 PM
they should drop it altogether and just bundle Adium - which I think is now getting video support as well? FTW indeed :)

Problem is that adium does not suppost windows live corporate, or whatever lame name they call it. My company uses it officially.

synergykyd
Nov 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
Messenger sucked on the Mac and sucked even worse on Windows. Good riddance! :p

solvs
Nov 6, 2007, 03:18 AM
I'll look forward to Messenger:Mac in 2008.

Hope they get it out in January.

Not until later 2008, maybe even '09.

johny5
Nov 6, 2007, 04:08 AM
Thinking about it now, the only major feature i miss from when I used Messenger on a pc was offline messages.
Now I am guessing that M$ stores these in a cache somewhere for when you log back on. It was a nice feature as you didnt have to create emails but now as I only use Adium and a few mates still send offline messages via the pc, it is more of a hindrance to me thinking i may have offline messages waiting so i have to boot up vmware now and again to check.

hopefully adium will add this feature soon.

samh004
Nov 6, 2007, 04:34 AM
I use Mercury so I can't say this bothers me particularly.

As all the whiners complain about all the time with iChat, maybe Microsoft will do a deal with Apple instead, they'll support other networks, like AIM and Gtalk on the Windows side of MSN, allowing iChat to connect and thus problem solved. Unlikely, but would be the best option for all concerned.

DamoRed
Nov 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
As a sometimes frustrated MSN user, frequently being signed out involuntarily, I'd still take it any day over Adium.

And while the current format will not be updated, it will still continue to run, until the all new 2008 model, whenever that will be.That will then run with others running theur PCs. So it's pretty much a non story.

Damo

Cloudane
Nov 6, 2007, 12:18 PM
Windows Live Messenger 9 should ship in late 2008 or early 2009, and Microsoft is trying to work out a way for Live Messenger users to chat with AIM/GTalk/ICQ-based users.

They already did that with Yahoo I think, but it was pointless - say if you were on Yahoo on the Mac because it has much better native support, and can now talk to MSN users. Sounds great? NO. Because it'd only work if the MSN user was on Windows Live Messenger. Half of my friends are what you'd probably call "software luddites" and still using the standard Windows Messenger (along with Winamp 3, sometimes even Windows 98).. thus it made no difference.

However aMSN works brilliantly on the Intel Macs. It's a bit on the sluggish side on my old G4 Powerbook, but on the iMac it's second to none. There's absolutely no need for Microsoft's crippled version.

If Adium, or rather Pidgin, ever gets support for Personal Messages (bloody slow OSS developers... that's why I abandoned Linux) it'll be an even better option.

Nermal
Nov 6, 2007, 12:19 PM
Problem is that adium does not suppost windows live corporate, or whatever lame name they call it. My company uses it officially.

I was about to ask about this. I haven't even tried connecting to Live Communications Server (I think that's what it's called!) using Adium because I don't see it listed as supported anywhere. You've just confirmed it, so now I won't bother trying to play around with it :)