Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'd give Handbrake a try. I have had good luck with it. It just pulls out the feature flick, and not the whole menu though(which is how i like it):apple:

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
are there any guides

Handbrake is very simple and self explanatory since it's an all-in-one solution and has selectable profiles depending on what your target is for ripping (PC, iPhone, iPod, etc.). So usually you just stick in a disc, let it scan it, pick which part of the disc you want ripped (this is the only nebulous part sometimes, since these aren't labeled due to the way DVDs are encoded, but on a regular DVD you'd generally just pick the one that has the longest displayed time since that's no doubt the movie), select the target profile and hit go. You end up with a file with the same chapter stops as the original DVD (no menu systems though), you can assign custom names to the chapters too, prior to starting the encoding if you want.

The only changes I make (I only really encode for use on my iPhone) is that I set it to do some form of deinterlacing since the iPhone profile isn't set to do that by default.

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
I'm going with handbrake on this one. The files it produces are quite large, though, just to warn you. As in, large compared to most files produced by other ripping softwares. Still, quality is amazing, so I'd totally recommend handbrake.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
if you have a copy of windows laying around install windows via boot camp... ripit4me, dvddecrypter, dvdshrink, img burn (all free)

mactheripper has gone crazy recently and requires a "donation" to use the latest beta releases... 2.6.6 is outdated and fails on many current dvds, however you can still find mtr 3 r14f floating around, which will work on a lot of films... the current beta i believe is r14i however there is no way to get this working without spending money... even after using mtr if you want to shrink the film to fit on a single layer dvd its going to cost even more money for a program like DTOX (dvd2one) since there is no free mac dvd compression software.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
i use mac the ripper all the time since it gives me full quality.. but if i want a movie for my ipod i just use handbrake to rip the mactheripper file into mp4.. works great

zack

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
if you have a copy of windows laying around install windows via boot camp... ripit4me, dvddecrypter, dvdshrink, img burn (all free)

mactheripper has gone crazy recently and requires a "donation" to use the latest beta releases... 2.6.6 is outdated and fails on many current dvds, however you can still find mtr 3 r14f floating around, which will work on a lot of films... the current beta i believe is r14i however there is no way to get this working without spending money... even after using mtr if you want to shrink the film to fit on a single layer dvd its going to cost even more money for a program like DTOX (dvd2one) since there is no free mac dvd compression software.

any DVD, rips em all, only in windows, will still need Nero or any good burning software;)

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I'm going with handbrake on this one. The files it produces are quite large, though, just to warn you. As in, large compared to most files produced by other ripping softwares. Still, quality is amazing, so I'd totally recommend handbrake.

How large is large? Will a standard 2 hour movie be 1 gig? 2? more?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.