Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gello2424

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
CA
Oh sorry then didn't mean to put more crap up. I do like the pictures of that PB that someone baked! Still working like a champ.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by gello2424
Oh sorry then didn't mean to put more crap up. I do like the pictures of that PB that someone baked! Still working like a champ.
Hehe yeah that baked Powerbook is pretty impressive. Did you see the link someone posted the other day regarding some guy who ran over his 12" Powerbook with his SUV?? It still works!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
nice little video, i really think mac will be all g5 in a year. its performance is apples future. it will take a year to get everyone to be making software to take advantage of that G5

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by gello2424

I read the story, but I guess they never found out why she baked it in her oven. Why would you do that, unless she was loosing her mind.

gello2424

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
CA
I also wonder why someone would bake a computer.

Is has to be the same lady that put her little dog in the microwave to dry it off. I don't know just a thought.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I remember seeing an article about a guy who tried to torch a NeXT Cube. The thing was nearly impossible to burn! But on topic, the G5 is pretty quiet. You cannot hear it at all when you have the door and plastic on, but even with the plastic shield off, it is a lot more quiet than our Dell or my sister's Toshiba laptop.

gello2424

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
CA
I also read the story about that cube that guy burned finally got it toasted matter or fact he did two of them i am not sure where the whole story is or I would put add a link here.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Nice video. Didn't get a chance to try that out at the school book store. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Man, those pics of the baked PB is very disturbing. Who the hell puts their laptop in an oven? Crazy witch.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I wonder if there'll be a lot of people removing the plastic cover just like people who remove the mufflers off their cars.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

Am I the only one that found the wording: "Video of what the G5 sounds like" fairly strange?

It ranks up there with the line from Ghostbusters: "Listen! You smell something?"

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
from what i could see, the glass screen wasn't acting as a muffler, because you could hear the fans kick in when you removed it (as in you could hear them speed up) - why would it do that?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by mrjamin
from what i could see, the glass screen wasn't acting as a muffler, because you could hear the fans kick in when you removed it (as in you could hear them speed up) - why would it do that?

-mrjamin

The plastic "window" is actually an aerodynamic fairing that is used to direct airflow. In place, the shape of the fairing creates bernoulli and venturi effects at key areas to increase cooling through pressure changes. By removing the fairing, you slow the air over those key points, and the fans have to act harder to get the same cooling effect that the fairing provided.

Apple made the fairing clear because they're Apple, and appreciate a pretty face. :D

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by patrick0brien
The plastic "window" is actually an aerodynamic fairing that is used to direct airflow. In place, the shape of the fairing creates bernoulli and venturi effects at key areas to increase cooling through pressure changes. By removing the fairing, you slow the air over those key points, and the fans have to act harder to get the same cooling effect that the fairing provided.

that makes sense, i wondered whether it was something to do with that.

I have a silent pc, so i'm keen to hear how well apple pulled it off.

What are the harddrives in the G5's? In my experiences of silencing my pc, the hdd's are amongst the noisiest parts, that high pitch whirring may be faint but its the most annoying thing when all your fans are silenced.

For anyone who's interested, i use:

Zalman flower cpu heatsink, suspended fan + fanmate speed controller
Seagate baracuda hdd + silentdrive enclosure
2x zalman silent case fans + speed controllers
300w dual fan silent PSU
Beefy video card heatsink (no fan - geforce4 Ti)

in essence, lots of large, slow moving fans and LOTS of copper + alu heatsinks

so yeah, a total of 7 fans and virtually no sound at all. Can barely hear it at night.

Loudest part has to be my darn optical drives that sound like a seagul on speed stuck in my case - makes my whole desk vibrate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.