PDA

View Full Version : Video of what the G5 sounds like


gello2424
Sep 14, 2003, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone I am not sure if this is posted I did a fast searcha and didn't find anything.
But I found this video that someone made and you can hear what the G5 sounds like running.

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronsteele/iMovieTheater20.html

I am also going to type the url here just incase I linked it wrong.

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronsteele/iMovieTheater20.html

amin
Sep 14, 2003, 05:29 PM
It's been posted here before, but worth another view :) .

gello2424
Sep 14, 2003, 05:32 PM
Oh sorry then didn't mean to put more crap up. I do like the pictures of that PB that someone baked! Still working like a champ.

MattG
Sep 14, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by gello2424
Oh sorry then didn't mean to put more crap up. I do like the pictures of that PB that someone baked! Still working like a champ. Hehe yeah that baked Powerbook is pretty impressive. Did you see the link someone posted the other day regarding some guy who ran over his 12" Powerbook with his SUV?? It still works!

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 14, 2003, 06:41 PM
nice little video, i really think mac will be all g5 in a year. its performance is apples future. it will take a year to get everyone to be making software to take advantage of that G5

DakotaGuy
Sep 14, 2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by gello2424
Oh sorry then didn't mean to put more crap up. I do like the pictures of that PB that someone baked! Still working like a champ.

I read the story, but I guess they never found out why she baked it in her oven. Why would you do that, unless she was loosing her mind.

legion
Sep 14, 2003, 09:31 PM
hungry?? (and the powerbook looked sooo tasty...)

gello2424
Sep 14, 2003, 10:30 PM
I also wonder why someone would bake a computer.

Is has to be the same lady that put her little dog in the microwave to dry it off. I don't know just a thought.

Powerbook G5
Sep 15, 2003, 12:57 AM
I remember seeing an article about a guy who tried to torch a NeXT Cube. The thing was nearly impossible to burn! But on topic, the G5 is pretty quiet. You cannot hear it at all when you have the door and plastic on, but even with the plastic shield off, it is a lot more quiet than our Dell or my sister's Toshiba laptop.

gello2424
Sep 15, 2003, 01:12 AM
I also read the story about that cube that guy burned finally got it toasted matter or fact he did two of them i am not sure where the whole story is or I would put add a link here.

FuzzyBallz
Sep 15, 2003, 02:41 AM
Nice video. Didn't get a chance to try that out at the school book store. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Man, those pics of the baked PB is very disturbing. Who the hell puts their laptop in an oven? Crazy witch.

Schiffi
Sep 15, 2003, 08:13 AM
I wonder if there'll be a lot of people removing the plastic cover just like people who remove the mufflers off their cars.

Powerbook G5
Sep 15, 2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Schiffi
I wonder if there'll be a lot of people removing the plastic cover just like people who remove the mufflers off their cars.

Why would someone want a loud computer, though?

Blackstealth
Sep 15, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I remember seeing an article about a guy who tried to torch a NeXT Cube. The thing was nearly impossible to burn!

Ask and you shall receive

http://www.simson.net/photos/hacks/cubefire.html

patrick0brien
Sep 15, 2003, 02:47 PM
-All

Am I the only one that found the wording: "Video of what the G5 sounds like" fairly strange?

It ranks up there with the line from Ghostbusters: "Listen! You smell something?"

szark
Sep 15, 2003, 03:08 PM
Nope, I had the same reaction that you did.

mrjamin
Sep 15, 2003, 04:16 PM
from what i could see, the glass screen wasn't acting as a muffler, because you could hear the fans kick in when you removed it (as in you could hear them speed up) - why would it do that?

patrick0brien
Sep 15, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
from what i could see, the glass screen wasn't acting as a muffler, because you could hear the fans kick in when you removed it (as in you could hear them speed up) - why would it do that?

-mrjamin

The plastic "window" is actually an aerodynamic fairing that is used to direct airflow. In place, the shape of the fairing creates bernoulli and venturi effects at key areas to increase cooling through pressure changes. By removing the fairing, you slow the air over those key points, and the fans have to act harder to get the same cooling effect that the fairing provided.

Apple made the fairing clear because they're Apple, and appreciate a pretty face. :D

mrjamin
Sep 15, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
The plastic "window" is actually an aerodynamic fairing that is used to direct airflow. In place, the shape of the fairing creates bernoulli and venturi effects at key areas to increase cooling through pressure changes. By removing the fairing, you slow the air over those key points, and the fans have to act harder to get the same cooling effect that the fairing provided.

that makes sense, i wondered whether it was something to do with that.

I have a silent pc, so i'm keen to hear how well apple pulled it off.

What are the harddrives in the G5's? In my experiences of silencing my pc, the hdd's are amongst the noisiest parts, that high pitch whirring may be faint but its the most annoying thing when all your fans are silenced.

For anyone who's interested, i use:

Zalman flower cpu heatsink, suspended fan + fanmate speed controller
Seagate baracuda hdd + silentdrive enclosure
2x zalman silent case fans + speed controllers
300w dual fan silent PSU
Beefy video card heatsink (no fan - geforce4 Ti)

in essence, lots of large, slow moving fans and LOTS of copper + alu heatsinks

so yeah, a total of 7 fans and virtually no sound at all. Can barely hear it at night.

Loudest part has to be my darn optical drives that sound like a seagul on speed stuck in my case - makes my whole desk vibrate!