PDA

View Full Version : [UK] Southampton West Quay Meet Thread

dodonutter
Nov 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
So who is going to be there and when...I'm planning on turning up at about 3 and joining the queue if there is one otherwise i'll hang around until one forms.

Tom

tico24
Nov 6, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'll be there from around 2.30 - 3pm.

bluetideUK
Nov 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
im probibly leaving portsmouth at 9ish so when i get ther do some shopping or whatever, not sure when ill start lineing up

tico24
Nov 7, 2007, 09:05 AM
Guys, I've been speaking to the West Quay Apple guys today and here's what I've learned...

- They are closing at 2pm and re-opening at 18:02 until 22:00.
- They STILL don't know what stock they are getting. All they have been told is "hopefully enough."
- I was in the store for 10 mins speaking with a couple of the Apple guys. During this time, no less than 4 people questioned the team about the iPhone.
- They will get a load of iPhone accessories in at the same time (including bluetooth headsets and cases).
- The O2 store (only 2 units away from the apple store) will still be opening. They haven't really worked out what to do with regards to the queues combining!
- The staff don't know if they are getting free iPhones. Either way, they're not allowed to take/purchase any from the first batch for themselves or for friends.
- They plan to leave their free wifi on. However, they strongly recommend against activating your phone in West Quay. You won't be able to activate your phone physically IN the store, whether on your own Mac or the store's mac.

I think we're underestimating the demand for this phone. My advice...get there early!

I plan to start hanging around at around 11ish and I'll get in line once I see others waiting.

I hope this info helps!
If you want to know more, I have a genius friend in the store and should be able to get any questions answered.

dodonutter
Nov 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
Guys, I've been speaking to the West Quay Apple guys today and here's what I've learned...

- They are closing at 2pm and re-opening at 18:02 until 22:00.
- They STILL don't know what stock they are getting. All they have been told is "hopefully enough."
- I was in the store for 10 mins speaking with a couple of the Apple guys. During this time, no less than 4 people questioned the team about the iPhone.
- They will get a load of iPhone accessories in at the same time (including bluetooth headsets and cases).
- The O2 store (only 2 units away from the apple store) will still be opening. They haven't really worked out what to do with regards to the queues combining!
- The staff don't know if they are getting free iPhones. Either way, they're not allowed to take/purchase any from the first batch for themselves or for friends.
- They plan to leave their free wifi on. However, they strongly recommend against activating your phone in West Quay. You won't be able to activate your phone physically IN the store, whether on your own Mac or the store's mac.

I think we're underestimating the demand for this phone. My advice...get there early!

I plan to start hanging around at around 11ish and I'll get in line once I see others waiting.

I hope this info helps!
If you want to know more, I have a genius friend in the store and should be able to get any questions answered.

Cheers for that tico24, think i may do the same and turn up in the morning bout 11ish instead of 3 and join whenever a queue starts. need to buy somethings in town anyway so getting there early may be a good idea.

sounds like they are nice and organised in the west quay store then :p

If anyone wonders i'll be wearing a black Animal shoulder bag so say hi if you see me :D

7jjm
Nov 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hi guys, I will be getting there at about 4:30, do you think I am leaving it a bit late? Surely they won't run out of stock?

sparkyms
Nov 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm headed to carphone warehouse in Romsey, as I don't think there'll be anyone there.
If not I'll zip over to Hedge End's Carphone Warehouse, I don't think it'd be TOO busy there either.

I'm just a little wary of town centre as it seems like everyone will just head there and I don't wana be without an iPhone! But likewise i dont want to hedge my bets too much in smaller stores as they might sell out too fast...

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do really.

tico24
Nov 7, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hi guys, I will be getting there at about 4:30, do you think I am leaving it a bit late? Surely they won't run out of stock?

Going purely on what the Apple store guys said to me earlier....they shouldn't run out of stock, but the later you leave it, the later you'll get your hands on one.

I'd personally be besides myself with frustration if I can't get my hands on one until 10pm...thats another 4 hours!

bluetideUK
Nov 7, 2007, 05:37 PM
ill probably be wearing a socom hoodie, im thinking as we will be queuing i'll probably need to pack some food.

bluetideUK
Nov 9, 2007, 04:06 AM
at the store now!!! currently no queue

dodonutter
Nov 9, 2007, 04:14 AM

Awesome...have to ferry my gf from central station back home then im on my bike and into town so should be there by 12...hope the queue doesn't start for a while!

(the day is finally here!)

tico24
Nov 9, 2007, 04:46 AM

Thats good news. I aim to be there for 12.30ish.
Are there provisions for a queue (ie barriers etc) or does it look like its gonna be a bit of a free for all?!

bluetideUK
Nov 9, 2007, 05:13 AM
Thats good news. I aim to be there for 12.30ish.
Are there provisions for a queue (ie barriers etc) or does it look like its gonna be a bit of a free for all?!

there is barriers nothing else though

tico24
Nov 9, 2007, 05:29 AM
Right, I'm leaving now! See you in a bit i guess!

dodonutter
Nov 9, 2007, 05:58 AM
Just heading down there myself now

dodonutter
Nov 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
Well i have my iPhone but apparently i have no signal (on any O2 phone) what the **** is going one! i wana use my toy!

tico24
Nov 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
Got mine. Its activated, has loads of signal.

But: doesn't apear to have a phone number and I can't make calls.
Has no EDGE.

steve101
Nov 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
Just bought my iPhone from the O2 store around the corner from West Quay.

There were about 10-20 people who arrived at the store whilst I was there.

Apparently the Apple store was PACKED and tons of people queued where as the O2 store was really empty lol.

Anyway the guy still sold me one even though I'm 17.

Just waiting for some hacks to get it on PAYG or what the hell I might even do a contract.

Cya,
steve101.

dodonutter
Nov 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
Well I'm on my iPhone and it is amazing but I can't get on the o2 network so I'm limited to wifi which is fine but a little bit of a pain since I can't call or text anyone to brag!

I called o2 and apparently I have to wait 24 hours before it will work which is a pain but at least I can play.

Enjoy your iPhones guys

EDIT: All working now, got activated at 1am! Obviously too many people tried to activate at once and o2 couldnt quite cope