Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urrl78

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I'm sure most know how to set up your Macbook/MPB in System Preferences so it will share the internet Expresscard signal with other laptops as long as you have a Sprint or other Expresscard and the other laptop is wireless. Well it seems to work fine with me, Windows or Mac laptop, but with the iPod touch it is a different experience. My iPod touch does not share the wireless signal at all in OSX and as far as Bootcamp Windows XP is concerned, as long as I am constantly surfing; looking up websites with no pause, the iPod touch keeps the connection. If I stop and pause activity on the iPod for about 10 seconds the connection is broken in Windows XP. Here's the kicker; if I have my Powerbook on, sharing the MPB Expersscard Wifi signal, the iPod stays connected regardless. Has anyone had any success using an Expresscard with your MBP/Macbook and the iPod Touch? I will learn more later this evening. My friend has an iPod Touch, so I will see if she can get on the net wirelessly from my MBP in OSX, and if his iPod breaks the signal like mine in Windows using Bootcamp on my MBP. If it does not I will know my iPod has a defect. Any thoughts?

For those who don't know about using your Macbook/MBP as a"Base station", yes, it can be easily done using an Expresscard. I really want to go mobile, but the Expresscard routers are not out yet, due early next year from what I hear. Would be cool to use the iPod Touch anywhere in my area without depending on Hotspots. Imagine going into a Starbucks or anywhere with your iPod connected to the router in your vehicle.:D

Of course I could leave the MBP in the vehicle but I would not want to do that.

cmclaughlan

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
http://www.evdoforums.com/

There are actually routers that will accept your evdo Express Card on the market now, Linksys and Kyocera being 2 that have products for sale.

I just purchased an EVDO USB card last night and am really impressed with it.

Just need to come up with a way to amplify my MacBook Wifi so that I can use my ipod touch further away from my desk, meetings can be so dull ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.