Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/09/music.swap.settlement/index.html

A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America for $2000.

I don't know how RIAA execs can sleep at night, it's like taking candy from a baby. I hope they're satisifed, they've lowered themselves to picking on 12 year old girls who share crappy 'n sync songs on kazaa. :mad:

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Damn. I used to download mp3s way back when I was on a PC and I know it may sound stupid, but I didn't think it was illegal. I just assumed it was just like downloading a Windows theme or a new wallpaper or something. Using programs like Winamp and FTP servers and other programs to get a song or two seemed to be legal enough. I can't imagine a 12 year old girl to know what a copyright is or understand why or how she was doing something wrong. It makes me wonder if UPN would sue me for recording an episode of Star Trek or something with how things are going.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I know everyone here thinks the RIAA is this evil monstrosity that is out to kill our babies. They're not. I know that it is bad that a 12 year old who lives in the projects got sued, but look at ti from their standpoint:

Copywrite enfringement is an everyday thing now. Anyone who's anyone is doing it. Breaking the law has somehow become the cool thing to do. It's the RIAA's job to put an end to it. So they start suing hoping that it will get the message out.

I'm sure that when they did all of the IP checks, they had no idea that they were suing an eleven year old girl. They just found someone who was breaking the law. Extensively. When they found out, do you really think that they could back out? Sure it's a bad thing, but backing out gives the message that it's ok to steal music if you're young or poor. It's not ok to steal music!

Music is a luxury. you don't need it to survive. I can understand someone stealing a loaf of bread if they have gone without food for a week, but music is for entertainment.

Although I don't agree with a lot of what the RIAA has done, I do agree that what they're doing isn't some evil ploy.

When it comes to kids, the average person has a hard time at looking at the facts. Please at least consider the other side here.

P-Worm

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Greedy scum

It is just not right taking money from a 12 year old girl. No amount of spin doctoring will justify this action.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm not saying the RIAA is evil or anything, I know it is doing its purpose. But still, did this 11/12 year old girl know what she was doing was this illegal thing stealing from others? Back in the day I did not know what I was doing was a crime, honestly, so it's just a little extreme. I have no idea what I'd do if I were that young and being sued and treated like I were this horrible scum for something I didn't even realize I was doing.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Living in the wrong place

Originally posted by P-Worm
I know that it is bad that a 12 year old who lives in the projects got sued, but look at ti from their standpoint:

I am sure that if it was a 12 year old girl living in the suburbs there would be an uproar about this. I guess that because this girl is living in the projects the RIAA feel justified to treat her like a criminal.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Lesson #1 in business school:
what do you do when your customers are unhappy with your product and stop buying it? Sue the **** out of them!

Somehow, slapping around your consumers will convince them of how good your product is.:confused:

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Hypothetical question...

So, if I borrow a friends CD and listen to it until I'm sick of the songs....can I be sued? can my friend be sued? I didn't pay for it, and he gave it away....??? What's the difference?

The industry is so worried about it's numbers...have they stopped to think that our economy hasn't been doing well for quite a few years now, and since music is a luxury item, that purchases would decline? They are setting a dangerous standard for the internet (ie: invasion of privacy).

I'd compare it to the war on drugs: do you go after the supplier or the user?

I'd like to use the 'George Bush's answer to forest fires' solution: to stop all stealing of music: quit making music!!!

There's just so many things wrong with the RIAA and what they're doing, it makes my head spin. Yes, I can understand that they want compensation where compensation is due, but so do the artists (who have historically been given the short end of the stick).

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Not sure what constitutes piracy, but...I made a copy of a few of my CDs because I didn't want to have to move my CDs from my house, to my car, to school, so I made copies to keep the originals at home and the copies in my car so I never had to swap back and forth. Is this illegal, too?

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Not sure what constitutes piracy, but...I made a copy of a few of my CDs because I didn't want to have to move my CDs from my house, to my car, to school, so I made copies to keep the originals at home and the copies in my car so I never had to swap back and forth. Is this illegal, too?

That's not illegal. It's fair use --- it's just for your own personal use.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
What if I were to give a copy I had in my car to my girlfriend to borrow and just end up not caring to ask for it back since it was a copy, would that then be piracy? (Sorry, just trying to figure out the basis and where this piracy/stealing aspect actually comes in)

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
What if I were to give a copy I had in my car to my girlfriend to borrow and just end up not caring to ask for it back since it was a copy, would that then be piracy? (Sorry, just trying to figure out the basis and where this piracy/stealing aspect actually comes in)

Yeah, that's piracy, because "For you own personal use" doesn't apply here.

Just to be safe, if you have to think about it, it's probably illegal. :D

P-Worm

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
So, I guess it boils down to: is loaning a CD to a friend illegal?

If it is, then I guess we're all screwed and have to find some way to limit the power and scope of the RIAA.

If it isn't, then there's some very large loopholes in P2P (and other types of) sharing: Oh, I 'borrowed' such and such song and I was going to delete it after listening to it X many times....

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Loaning a CD to a friend is legal because you are not making an unauthorized copy of the CD. Burning a copy to give to a friend is illegal because you are making an unauthorized copy (it is unauthorized because you are giving it to a friend). Making a copy and giving both the original and the copy to the friend is legal. Making a mix and giving it to a friend is illegal. Making a mix and giving it and all of the CDs from which tracks were drawn to a friend is legal.

Basically, it's an issue of whether the original is transferred as well.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Isn't the defence for P2P mp3 sharing that it's for "preview" use, anyway? "I was just over-zealous with my previewing habits, honest!"

I would have to agree. So many people are happy with the quality of MP3, that it's become a commodity and marketable. The music industry still wants first rate dollar for third rate quality --- oh, did I mention that there's no other expense involved, like the physical CD, case, artwork, shipping, etc.?

I still think that iTMS is overpriced. Sure the quality is better and it's quite convenient, but what do you get? Some 1's and 0's over a wire. You supply the media to play it on.....I don't know if they're offering the artwork as of yet. I think the music industry has always been about one thing: highway robbery. The only exception I can think of is the Grateful Dead...you could bring your own recording equipment and patch into the main board to record the concert....you just couldn't do the illegal thing and sell the tapes afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.