PDA

View Full Version : Rev. A G4 / G5

phaeton
Sep 15, 2003, 01:33 AM
i just wondered what the problems with the rev. a. g4's was. could someone give me a short list?... i'm just a little worried because i already order my g5...

aphexist
Sep 15, 2003, 01:25 PM
Apple engineers mistakingly embedded exposed shaving razors underneath the upper handles on Revision "A" G4 Powermacs. Do you want to fall victim to another unfortunate oversight? Gives a new meaning to the slang, "bleeding edge."

Wait...keep waiting. Rev. B will be much, much safer. And faster and cheaper and quieter.

cubist
Sep 15, 2003, 01:39 PM
The first G4's, called "Yikes", were basically blue&white G3's with a G4 chip plopped into their Zif sockets. They had slow bus speeds, but I think they worked OK.

I don't think the current G5's are like that at all. This is a true redesign (as Sawtooth was). If they had kludged the G5 chip into an MDD, that would have been a true Rev. A design.

bousozoku
Sep 15, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by cubist
The first G4's, called "Yikes", were basically blue&white G3's with a G4 chip plopped into their Zif sockets. They had slow bus speeds, but I think they worked OK.

I don't think the current G5's are like that at all. This is a true redesign (as Sawtooth was). If they had kludged the G5 chip into an MDD, that would have been a true Rev. A design.

That's partly right. The lowest of the three models was a Yikes (400 then 350) but the other two were Sawtooth 450 and 500 then 400 and 450) models with the enhanced system controller and faster system throughput.

RandomDeadHead
Sep 15, 2003, 03:18 PM
My rev. A G4 ordeal was a nightmare.
It went through 4 logic boards in 5 months. It never was quite right, and that's after ordering a 400 mhz one and recieving a 350 mhz one. Yikes indeed!:mad:

But my past experance has not kept me from ordering five dulies for my office, these new ones seem far better than the rev. A g4's did.