PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases iMac Software Update 1.2.1 (Tiger)

Samuel88
Nov 6, 2007, 03:19 AM
W8742xxxxxxx
20" 2.4

No crashes/freezes/artifacts ever with 10.4.10 / 1.1. Trying 1.2.1 now.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacsoftwareupdate121tiger.html

EDIT:

Fast conclusion: The update didn't ruin what wasn't broken for me, it seems. I tried changing quick between screensaver, while having iPhoto running in the foreground, WoW in a window in the background -- all while spamming my cursor over the dock, magnifying it. I'm eager to hear other user's reports. I also would consider it wise to install this update, even though you haven't got any freezes, as this would help you notice a hardware problem earlier.

RevToTheRedline
Nov 6, 2007, 03:29 AM
W8742xxxxxxx
20" 2.4

No crashes/freezes/artifacts ever with 10.4.10 / 1.1. Trying 1.2.1 now.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacsoftwareupdate121tiger.html

Wow Apple is really on the ball with these updates now, didn't 1.2 just come out?

Samuel88
Nov 6, 2007, 03:34 AM
Wow Apple is really on the ball with these updates now, didn't 1.2 just come out?

It did, however it got pulled a couple of days after. I guess they realized they didn't address the problem adequately with it.

l33r0y
Nov 6, 2007, 06:48 AM
Eager to find out if this fixes the issue... it could be the catalyst for me making the purchase! Come on Apple! :apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::)

djc6
Nov 6, 2007, 07:16 AM
Very preliminary results indicate 1.2.1 might just be more of the same :(

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1222144&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1222062&tstart=0

Luap
Nov 6, 2007, 08:19 AM
Very preliminary results indicate 1.2.1 might just be more of the same :(

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1222144&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1222062&tstart=0

And it is the same. As mentioned in another thread here.. 1.2 introduced a bug that made it impossible to upgrade to Leopard after installing it. So if you are not going to use Leopard, then 1.2.1 is going to be the same as 1.2 for users.
Its a very minor update which has nothing in it to improve the freezing issue over 1.2

chaosbunny
Nov 6, 2007, 08:30 AM
And it is the same. As mentioned in another thread here.. 1.2 introduced a bug that made it impossible to upgrade to Leopard after installing it. So if you are not going to use Leopard, then 1.2.1 is going to be the same as 1.2 for users.
Its a very minor update which has nothing in it to improve the freezing issue over 1.2

lol, this is getting ridiculous...

you know what the person on the apple hotline told me today?

"So if programs that use the gfx card much make your computer freeze avoid using these programs"

Um, yes, that's why I paid 2200 bucks for this...

snickelfritz
Nov 6, 2007, 08:32 AM
lol, this is getting ridiculous...

you know what the person on the apple hotline told me today?

"So if programs that use the gfx card much make your computer freeze avoid using these programs"

Um, yes, that's why I paid 2200 bucks for this...

That's ludicrous; OSX uses the graphics card!

Mindflux
Nov 6, 2007, 09:37 AM
That's ludicrous; OSX uses the graphics card!

Don't be naive, you know what they meant.

flopticalcube
Nov 6, 2007, 09:40 AM
The freeze happens in the dock. Are we not supposed to use the dock either?

snickelfritz
Nov 6, 2007, 09:53 AM

I was certainly not feigning naiveté; OSX itself is probably the most demanding "graphical application" on many iMacs.
(Quartz, OpenGL, CoreImage, CoreVideo, CoreAnimation are all core OSX graphics APIs)

I do know what they meant: don't run games on your iMac if they're causing problems.
It ain't the games causing the problems though, and any competent tech should know that by now. (especially if they work for Apple)

AlexisV
Nov 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
If you've still got freezing, I'd be starting to demand a replacement. There are plenty of freeze-free Alu Macs out there, sitting in Apple's stores and warehouses.

chaosbunny
Nov 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
If you've still got freezing, I'd be starting to demand a replacement. There are plenty of freeze-free Alu Macs out there, sitting in Apple's stores and warehouses.

Well, that's what I tried today, and I got the answer I posted above. :o

I'm fed up for now, but guess it is worth another try in a few days.

mustang_dvs
Nov 6, 2007, 01:49 PM
No difference in behavior:

Screen goes black when running programs that use OpenGL
Google Earth causes immediate UI freeze (except mouse)
Gecko Engine browsers and MS Office (particularly Excel 2004) still cause random UI freezes (mouse still moves)

20" 2.4GHz 3GB RAM S/N: W8730xxxxxx

Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R40310)

MacRumors
Nov 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Shortly after posting (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/imac-software-update-1-2-tiger-and-1-3-leopard/) the original iMac Software Update 1.2 for Tiger, Apple quietly pulled the update off their site.

Today, Apple has posted a new iMac Software Update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacsoftwareupdate121tiger.html), now at version 1.2.1.
This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with 2.0, 2.4, or 2.8 GHz processors running Mac OS X Tiger.

It improves the performance and reliability of graphics-intensive games and applications and fixes an issue that some customers encountered when installing Mac OS X Leopard after applying iMac Software Update 1.2.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/06/apple-releases-imac-software-update-1-2-1-tiger/)

twoodcc
Nov 6, 2007, 02:01 PM
glad to see that they finally fixed it

offwidafairies
Nov 6, 2007, 02:12 PM
Gee they are pretty quick hey

mrzeve
Nov 6, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'm going to give the same advice I always give in these situations.

Email sjobs@apple.com

kkat69
Nov 6, 2007, 02:18 PM

Yah we know. In other words:

Stop using Photo Booth
Stop using Coverflow in iTunes
Stop using iTunes Visualizer
Stop using ... wait a min, why not just stop using OS X all together.

jholzner
Nov 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
Ha...well it took me about 5 hours to install leopard on My friends iMac. He installed that update the day it came out and the bought leopard that afternoon and I installed it for him that evening. Everything seemed to go okay (upgrade install) but after restart, I could not log in! It acted like I was going to log in and the boom...right back to the login screen. Eventually read that it was this update that caused it and an archive and install fixed it.

Stridder44
Nov 6, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yah we know. In other words:

Stop using Photo Booth
Stop using Coverflow in iTunes
Stop using iTunes Visualizer
Stop using ... wait a min, why not just stop using OS X all together.

Stop using iLife
Stop using any kind of games
Stop using Aperture

The list goes on. Mindflux needs to lay off the Apple koolaid.

daneoni
Nov 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
Isn't it safe to say if your iMac is still freezing after these updates then its most likely a hardware issue?

jacobhb
Stop using iLife
Stop using Aperture

The thing that always freezes me:

The dock...

madmax_2069
I was certainly not feigning naiveté; OSX itself is probably the most demanding "graphical application" on many iMacs.
(Quartz, OpenGL, CoreImage, CoreVideo, CoreAnimation are all core OSX graphics APIs)

I do know what they meant: don't run games on your iMac if they're causing problems.
It ain't the games causing the problems though, and any competent tech should know that by now. (especially if they work for Apple)

i might not own a intel Mac, but since when did the Dock become a game, unless it became a game of chance playing with it

Dan8302
Nov 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading to an iMac this week, should I wait? I've been hearing about this problem for a while now, is it all iMacs or just some?

Gerard.
Nov 6, 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading to an iMac this week, should I wait? I've been hearing about this problem for a while now, is it all iMacs or just some?

Its just some, mines has been fine from the start. No freezing at all.

ShockTroop
Nov 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
I have not experienced any freezes with my iMac.............

billystlyes
Nov 6, 2007, 03:14 PM
Freezing and glossy screens! No thanks... see you next generation.

Mindflux
Nov 6, 2007, 03:21 PM
Stop using iLife
Stop using Aperture

My iMac has YET to lock up. It's my first Apple computer *EVER*. I'm not on the Kool-Aid. I just have yet to see these problems. I berated Apple users for years and years before buying one. Don't you think I'd be one of the first to harp about a problem?

DanB91
Nov 6, 2007, 03:32 PM
My iMac has YET to lock up. It's my first Apple computer *EVER*. I'm not on the Kool-Aid. I just have yet to see these problems. I berated Apple users for years and years before buying one. Don't you think I'd be one of the first to harp about a problem?

lol uve been flaming apple fans for years, now someone is flaming YOU for liking a mac. what be a world without irony?

psychofreak
Nov 6, 2007, 03:33 PM

I have a feeling gloss is here to stay...

Mindflux
Nov 6, 2007, 03:37 PM
lol uve been flaming apple fans for years, now someone is flaming YOU for liking a mac. what be a world without irony?

I like MY mac, because it works. I've yet to see anyone flame me. Maybe you ought to re-read the thread.

flopticalcube
Nov 6, 2007, 03:37 PM
glad to see that they finally fixed it

Fixed what? This update does nothing for most people.

cohibadad
Nov 6, 2007, 03:43 PM

Never had a problem with 7 of the new iMacs. we use both 20" or 24". And the glossy is much nicer to use imo than the previous gen screens in both light conditions and dark.

Stridder44
Nov 6, 2007, 04:00 PM

Haha oh ok. So if everyone in the world had a lethal virus except you it wouldn't be a real problem just because you don't have it. The truth is an ass load of people are having serious GPU problems with the new iMacs and it's been going on, unfixed, for WAY too long. This is absolute BS and there is no excuse for it.

lukechip
Nov 6, 2007, 04:16 PM
Its just some, mines has been fine from the start. No freezing at all.

I've had one freeze in my 1st week of use of my new 24" iMac with Leopard, but that was during a lot of system setup stuff (partitioning / app installs etc). Symptoms were identical to those of other (mouse still moved).

Hopefully I've been dealt a lucky hand.

I'm not installing the update until it has been safely in use by others for weeks.

craig1410
Nov 6, 2007, 04:30 PM
I might be tempting fate but my machine hasn't locked up for 3 days now after installing the 1.2 update and just now the 1.2.1 update. Prior to that it locked up 5 times since 31st October - twice on 31st Oct and 3 times on 3rd Nov. It always seems to lock up several times in quick succession and then it's fine for a number of days at a time.

One thing I can still notice is white speckles on a black background if I move a window around the screen. For example, if I have two Terminal windows open - one empty and one with a bunch of text in it (directory listing for example). If I grab the second window and move it around the screen there are some white sparkles showing in the empty window. This is the sort of behaviour I used to see in 3D games under bootcamp just before the machine crashed. The strange thing was that sometimes the machine would boot up and I could play the game for hours with no sparkles and no crashes.

Beginning to suspect a replacement machine is going to be on the cards... I've been holding off talking to Apple until I felt the problem was well understood and until known good machines were filling the supply chains. That time might be now.

Cheers,
Craig.

Mindflux
Nov 6, 2007, 04:40 PM
Haha oh ok. So if everyone in the world had a lethal virus except you it wouldn't be a real problem just because you don't have it. The truth is an ass load of people are having serious GPU problems with the new iMacs and it's been going on, unfixed, for WAY too long. This is absolute BS and there is no excuse for it.

An "assload" by a SMALL sampling over Rabid users on a forum. If you polled mom and pop iMac user I bet the majority would say this is non issue.

It's like going to a ford forum and asking how many have squeeling brakse because of "X component". You'll get a bunch of people attesting to it, but if you could poll everyone with that model car it would be likely the percentage is smaller than the forum lets on. Then again that Ford example may be bad... haha

Marble
Nov 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
About 100 unique people have answered positively to having experienced the issue in the iMac 1.3 thread. I would say that this is a high number when you consider that the iMac is only a few months old, and that it's on a forum that represents only users who are active and interested in the Mac world.

I don't care if the number is really 5% of total, lower, or higher, it's a lot of people now, and it's only going to get higher as Apple keeps selling freezers.

centic
Nov 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
This is the reply back I got from sjobs@apple.com:

There is a new update coming out late this week that should really
nail the problem.

Sorry, and thanks for your patience.

Steve

gvg45
Nov 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
First off I want to say sorry for the long post, but I just want to share my experience with my OS upgrade.

I have had my 2.8 24" iMac since late August. It has been running flawless. I always had 10-12 day up times displayed by my iStat widget. I only rebooted with updates.

Then, the first week Leopard was release, I installed it. Oh man, what a mistake. My computer would go to sleep and it would not wake up. I would have to power off/on from the back in order for it to work again. On top of that, if I manually chose the computer to sleep, often times (5 out of 10) it would just lock up. Again, I would need to power off from the back.

Another issue, I would put a movie in and I would hear the movie playing and the controls for iDVD would be at the bottom but the movie never came up on the screen.

Another issue, when going into the System Preferences, I was not able to lock the lock, at the bottom left corner, so no other changes were made.

I did 2 fresh installs as well as resetting the PRAM several times. I seriously thought I had a hardware problem. I sat on the phone with :apple: 3 times, 2 of those times were for an hour and a half and the last time was for over 3 hours! And still no help!

So yesterday, as my last ditch effort, I did a clean install back to Tiger to see if I was able to recapture some stability. Well so far I have a total of 7 hr. 24 min uptime with absolutely no issues at all. Sleeps and wakes up on command and movies play like they should.

I really liked Leopard when it worked, but for me at least, it seems like there are WAY TOO MANY bugs. My advice to those that are having freezing problems, reload Tiger and be happy again. I would not say that all freezing issues are hardware problems. Some may be, but in my case at least it appears to be software related.

I decided to buy my first Mac early, before Leopard release, just in case the new OS was unstable. It looks to be paying off. I am going to wait for a few more updates before trying Leopard again.

Marble
Nov 6, 2007, 04:59 PM

That's as close to hopeful as we're going to get, I think.

amancalledsun
Nov 6, 2007, 05:30 PM
Ha...well it took me about 5 hours to install leopard on My friends iMac. He installed that update the day it came out and the bought leopard that afternoon and I installed it for him that evening. Everything seemed to go okay (upgrade install) but after restart, I could not log in! It acted like I was going to log in and the boom...right back to the login screen. Eventually read that it was this update that caused it and an archive and install fixed it.
Yup, same problem a lot of people have experienced. This is the real reason why Apple rushed to fix the 1.2 update and release the 1.2.1. I wouldn't doubt that the freeze issue hasn't been touched since 1.2.

lazyrighteye
Nov 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
Might be worth repeating: this site, this forum and it's users represent a very small % of Apple users.
A passionate %?
You betcha.
But still, the minority.

Also, people are more apt to post when they have issues than when things are working well. That is human nature. And this is not meant to devalue those that are experiencing iMac issues - ugh. Unacceptable and can be SO frustrating!
In my experience, Apple has been very good about replacing faulty product (under warranty) with that which works. Hopefully you troubled iMac users have the same good fortune.

Now about these freezes... WTF?!?

GNice
Nov 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry for the noob question, but do you have to grab is update from Apple or should running Software Update grab it if you "need it"?

gvg45
Nov 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the noob question, but do you have to grab is update from Apple or should running Software Update grab it if you "need it"?

Running software update will grab what you need.

AudioMan
Nov 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
Wanted to chime in here to add my 24" strangeness....

Click the brightness down 3 clicks and the lower portion of the screen flickers.

Wait for the display to "dim" and the whole screen flickers.

This is a slight flickering mind you.

No crashes, no hangs period. Ever. Fine since day one. Purchased new in early Oct.

iTunes visualizer displays in a "reduced color simple mode"? Not sure what to call this one, just no fancy OpenGL "look". Almost a single color look to it.

Lastly, Sticky notes do not display with correct fonts.

Add it up and I don't know what it means but thought it might be another clue to add to the pile. Thanks for reading....

djc6
Nov 6, 2007, 07:00 PM

I left mine at the apple store for repair Sunday... They ordered a logic board and graphics card preemptively in the event they found it to be a hardware problem. I wonder if I should ask them to hold off and see if this patch will fix it. I don't want anyone unnecessarily opening the computer.

blumoon
Nov 6, 2007, 07:41 PM
It's all in personal taste. I love my glossy screen and have not experienced any freezes. Love my iMac! :)

balwx
Nov 6, 2007, 07:45 PM
I hope this issue will be rectified, as I really want to purchase a nice 24" imac. I'm just worried about any problems....

pavelbure
Nov 6, 2007, 07:46 PM
also the average user will either

a: just keep cursing the imac not knowing that there is a problem and just chock it up to usual computer lock ups

or

b: don't bother coming on forums and just call apple and get it fixed without any of us knowing about it.

mbcracken
Nov 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
I was hoping todays fix would help me out some. My "freezing" on my 20" 2.4G iMac only occurs on my iTunes. My library at only being 23 gb but I get a ~5 minute lollipop everytime I launch iTunes. I've gone thru and deactivated all the extra iTunes junk without any success. So, when I saw iTunes was updated & there was a new 1.2.1 release I thought (prematurly) that I would finally get rid of my haunting lollipop...but not.

Cheers,
Mike

phillipjfry
Nov 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm kind of curious as to the course of action apple would take in order to remedy this issue.

They could come out with decent video drivers.
They could allow everyone to return their iMacs back for their money (with or without restocking fee).
They could give Apple Store credit to those with reproducible issues.
They could issue a recall on all iMacs with that video card in question and rethink their whole GPU selection and go back to nVidia.

As an informal poll, what do YOU think apple would do if this issue goes on too long. Anything else you think Apple might do with the current situation, aside from "provide a fix" or "working video drivers"?

Marble
Nov 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
If Apple can't fix this with software, then I will settle for nothing less than replacement or credit. If I have to wait for my iMac to be sent to a workshop somewhere, disassembled, and returned, I will lose precious days, maybe weeks of productivity time.

Impulse29
Nov 6, 2007, 11:41 PM
How does garbage like this even get approval to be distributed? Since I've installed Leopard, my mouse has been laggy, my keyboard keeps disconnecting and the iMac update has actually made it start to freeze and wake up randomly in the middle of the night.

This kind of issue shouldn't happen to a company that sells their own computers and programs to go with them.

solvs
Nov 7, 2007, 01:05 AM
I wasn't having any issues with my Al iMac, but updated anyway. 1.2 had a weird issue with a black rectangle showing up after the first reboot, but it went away, and that was the last of it. Or so I thought. For some stupid reason I updated to 1.2.1 and now I'm having issues. Froze already, but the mouse still moved. Thought it was just a fluke. But then it did it again. It's my only machine I haven't updated to Leopard. After the rest of my apps are updated for it, or 10.5.1 rolls around (whichever is first), I think I'll go ahead and update it. Tiger was working well, except for a FireFox issue that, ironically, just got fixed right before this. Can't be hardware, because it was working fine.

Hopefully whatever new update comes out this week fixes it.

BKKbill
Nov 7, 2007, 05:35 AM

You really should read what Mindflux said before the trash talk starts. We all know there is a problem and I'm sure the midnight oil is being burnt to get the problem solved. I also bought an aluminum iMac at the beginning of last week and it was a freezer. Took it back to the apple reseller here in Bangkok on Friday picked up the replacement on Tuesday. I tried to get this one to freeze. So far no problems. I did download and install the latest upgrade 1.2.1 I think it was.

Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
Just to add my iMac is a 24" and have yet to upgrade to Leopard and will wait for more positive reports.

Lob
Nov 7, 2007, 06:09 AM
These iMacs seem to be freezing at different times for everyone and some do not freeze at all. I wonder if the video cards are just flakey and its not a software issue at all? I came to this discussion late and don't feel like reading every post to see if anyone has mentioned that.

nzmc36
Nov 7, 2007, 06:19 AM
I should have waited to load Leopard..... I ran the new update (released yesterday afternoon), and the machine (iMac 24" 2.8GHz) ran for 2-3 hours without a hitch. I also seemed a lot faster loading programs etc... in general a lot snapper. Then I did the foolish thing and put Leopard on, not a fresh install, just the up-grade (anyone noticed a difference between the two methods?). The first hour it crashed non-stop, and is pretty much unusable. I tied to write an email to the Applecare/tech (whoever) that is helping fix the thing and it took 3 goes before I could send anything. The first email detailed all the crashes, the second similar... a lengthy email.... the third about two lines of frustration.... will see what he says later this morning.

I'll have to take the old trusty 17" PB to work... which has crashed a total of 2 times since ~ May 2003... one of the early ones. After finally taking the plunge to upgrade, I brought two iMacs, 20" 2.4 GHZ and the 24" 2.8GHz... they are both freezers and I'm about to pull my hair out. I lost 2 hours of work getting ready for a major presentation last week, and half my class notes (to give class) went down the frigg*n toilet last week.... that's not counting all the minor losses.......so mez not a happy camper. I know I should save more often, and I usually do, it's just sometimes one forgets when the pressure is on to complete something.... and that's usually when some thing goes wrong... I think they call it Murphy's Law :)

sdfuller
Nov 7, 2007, 10:18 AM
I have been expereince an issue with WoW where the game would freeze upon me logging out - but I just chalked it up to the game itself (or some add-on I was using). This discussion makes me wonder if this is not something more serious.

centic
Nov 8, 2007, 07:53 AM
I left mine at the apple store for repair Sunday... They ordered a logic board and graphics card preemptively in the event they found it to be a hardware problem. I wonder if I should ask them to hold off and see if this patch will fix it. I don't want anyone unnecessarily opening the computer.

I left mine at an Apple Store as well on Sunday. They called me back on tuesday saying they installed this software update and it was supposed to fix it, I pretty much refused to pick up the computer due to all posts saying it doesn't fix anything, and they said they'd run further tests and see what happens.

It's now Thursday morning and I still haven't heard back from them

Gemylon
Nov 10, 2007, 06:52 PM
Anyone knows what's happening here ?

Cant seem to find any 'news' from Apple nowhere around...

G

Marble
Nov 10, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well it's the weekend, again, so... nail-biting time!

Neeper
Nov 12, 2007, 10:20 PM
Can we get a frickin update that works already? I am sick of my freezer. How much longer do we have to wait?

What are my options if I didn't get Applecare and it's been 2 months since I got my iMac?

solvs
Nov 13, 2007, 02:34 AM
After a couple of reboots and some cache clearing, I don't have anymore freezes, but I'm also not taxing the video card much.