PDA

View Full Version : [UK] Birmingham Bullring Meet Thread

smr
Nov 6, 2007, 02:53 PM
Who else will be queuing outside the Birmingham Bullring :apple: Store on Friday? I'm planning to arrive about 4pm - may join the queue then, or keep an eye on the situation and join later. At least we will be indoors - the forecast for Birmingham for Friday has light rain.

Captain-Fungi
Nov 6, 2007, 04:01 PM
I am getting there for about 1pm and will see what the queue is like. If there isnt one then I am walking round Birmingham for a few hours! :D

nomad01
Nov 7, 2007, 12:24 AM
Same here.

Will get into town early and see how things look... if queues look too horrendous I may have to go to CPW instead! :-s

domster83
Nov 7, 2007, 01:27 AM
I'm going in at about 10am to survey the area. Might queue from then, or shop then come back.
Excited now

Captain-Fungi
Nov 7, 2007, 03:17 AM
I'm going in at about 10am to survey the area. Might queue from then, or shop then come back.
Excited now

Now you have made me think I should go even earlier, might get there for 11 now and see what it looks like.

Dont forget there is a BBC Webcam that is in the Bullring in which you can see the front of the Apple store so that might be a good place to do some recon on Friday morning.

smr
Nov 7, 2007, 05:25 AM
Captain-Fungi: Thanks for that. I didn't know about the Webcam, but I found it and here is the link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/webcams/bullring_inside_webcam.shtml). The :apple: on the front of the store is just visible on the left of the screen. I will keep an eye on it during the day!

I also see on the Bullring page on apple.com/uk that the store will close at 2pm and re-open at 6.02.

I can't justify queueing for more than a couple of hours, so I still plan to arrive about 4pm.

Captain-Fungi
Nov 7, 2007, 05:37 AM
Im going to start queuing as soon as the store closes :)

domster83
Nov 7, 2007, 10:56 AM
Im going to start queuing as soon as the store closes :)

I'll probably do some twittering when I'm in the Bullring so if you wanna know what its like, twitter.com/domster

Not long now....

shrewsburywolf
Nov 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
Was at the apple store in the bullring today, and a couple of the guys in there were saying that they were expecting in excess of two thousand people, and they were having a small meeting outside the shop discussing the best way to form the queue into the store.

I had a quick look at the touch whilst I was there, and I have to say I am sooo excited about friday now, the UI is so responsive, and the keyboard is better than I expected even with my fat fingers! :D. I have to say I was also very impressed with safari too.

smr
Nov 8, 2007, 02:58 AM
2000!! :eek:

If there is going to be that many I might just get it in my local O2 store in Telford! On the bright side, if they are expecting 2000+ I assume they will have at least 2000 in stock, so if the queue is 'short' (although my idea of short is now somewhat longer!) I might stick with the Bullring store.

There is also the Touchwood Apple Store in Solihull - I guess that would be a lot quieter, but still allow me to enjoy the 'Apple Store' experience.

Captain-Fungi
Nov 8, 2007, 02:59 AM
2000! Damn, looks like I am in for a long day. Probably go there for between 10-11 now.

Thats insane.

nomad01
Nov 8, 2007, 03:05 AM
2000!! :eek:

If there is going to be that many I might just get it in my local O2 store in Telford!

Hmmm... similar thoughts here. May pick up one from CPW or O2 and then just go have a look at the Applestore before I run home to play with my new phone! Hopefully. :)

In Brum city centre there are about 3 CPWs and 3 O2 shops. All have iPhone displays so if they're all getting a decent stock, I shoul dbe okay. I can't see there being huge queues at every one of those stores. Surely?? :confused:

shrewsburywolf
Nov 8, 2007, 04:56 AM
The guy did say that there would be plenty of stock for 2000+ people.

gavinj1999
Nov 8, 2007, 10:21 AM
I guess I will head in to the city around 3:30 to avoid the traffic :eek:

Will check out the webcam in the daytime to monitor queues

Captain-Fungi
Nov 9, 2007, 01:19 AM
Heading out the door in the next thirty minutes. If there is a BTOpenzone AP nearby I will post to let you know what the queue is like.

nomad01
Nov 9, 2007, 03:05 AM
Heading out the door in the next thirty minutes. If there is a BTOpenzone AP nearby I will post to let you know what the queue is like.

Looks quiet in the Bullring at the moment judging by the webcam... maybe queues outside the centre though?

Walked past the O2 and CPW store in Wolverhampton this morning and they've papered their windows in iPhone posters. :-)

Makes me wonder if I'd be better sticking around here and buying one... can't magine there'll be huge queues in wolves...?!!!!!?

Captain-Fungi
Nov 9, 2007, 03:08 AM
I am in the Bullring now. There is nobody outside the Apple store yet but they do have a lot of barriers up.

Looks like it is going to be a long day!

domster83
Nov 9, 2007, 03:22 AM
I am in the Bullring now. There is nobody outside the Apple store yet but they do have a lot of barriers up.

I'll be heading out in about an hour. Hope there isn't too much of a queue by then.
Have you started the queue then? Are you No. 1?

smr
Nov 9, 2007, 03:39 AM
Now you mention it Captain-Fungi, I can see the barriers on the webcam!! I will keep a close eye on it!
I'm working this morning, but the Mrs now wants to go shopping this afternoon so we should arrive in the Bullring between 2 and 3, so I will probably join the queue then. Not long to wait now:D

nomad01
Nov 9, 2007, 03:44 AM
So the barriers are on the opposite side to the Apple Store? Odd arrangement surely??

I think it's high time we had a bigger Apple Store in Brum now. This one gets WAY too crowded. I think something with a glass staircase would be nice. ;)

jagsheer
Nov 9, 2007, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the update.

I'm hoping to get there around noon.

smr
Nov 9, 2007, 03:54 AM
From the webcam, it looks like the barriers start just opposite the Apple Store front door and run 2/3 of the way across the mall, then turn at right angles and head off towards the door. I guess the idea is the queue forms along the barrier, and this takes it outside. Captain-Fungi - can you confirm this??

So, it might pay to arrive earlier and then get to wait longer in the warm indoors, rather than arrive later and have to wait outside! It also looks like they are expecting a big queue - at least it looks like it will be properly managed.

sneeks
Nov 9, 2007, 04:27 AM
Small queue here so far. Thought this link may be handy for some of you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/webcams/bullring_inside_webcam.shtml

domster83
Nov 9, 2007, 04:40 AM
Small queue here so far. Thought this link may be handy for some of you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/webcams/bullring_inside_webcam.shtml

I'm in the bullring now. No queues yet. Barriers all the way to the glass doors, snaking back and forward. Waiting for someone to take first place. Quiet so far.

nomad01
Nov 9, 2007, 04:46 AM
I'm in the bullring now. No queues yet. Barriers all the way to the glass doors, snaking back and forward. Waiting for someone to take first place. Quiet so far.

How you killing time?? Starbucks in Borders? :-)

jagsheer
Nov 9, 2007, 05:42 AM

Cant tell, but the webcam seems to show a queue forming.

smr
Nov 9, 2007, 06:08 AM
Re: webcam pic. Hmmm, it is hard to tell.

But I think you might be right jagsheer. There seem to be 3-4 people in a line running parallel to the front of the store. They have been there for the last two 5min webcam pics.

I will have lunch soon then head in (between 40mins and 2hrs drive from Telford depending on the M6!)

nomad01
Nov 9, 2007, 06:32 AM
Re: webcam pic. Hmmm, it is hard to tell.

But I think you might be right jagsheer. There seem to be 3-4 people in a line running parallel to the front of the store. They have been there for the last two 5min webcam pics.

I will have lunch soon then head in (between 40mins and 2hrs drive from Telford depending on the M6!)

Well it's lunchtime and there's still not too much action at the Bullring by the look of things... bet it'll be JAMMED by 5 when I get there! :(

domster83
Nov 9, 2007, 06:38 AM
How you killing time?? Starbucks in Borders? :-)

Was starbucks on 2nd floor. Now in the queue. Only 7 people here. Join fast!

nomad01
Nov 9, 2007, 08:14 AM
Any news from the Bullring??

Popped into CPW in Wolves at lunchtime and they said they were expecting 200 iPhones but have only received 80.

Even so... that's still a decent stock for a small city.

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 9, 2007, 08:53 AM
There has been one guy outside the O2 store at the Bullring all day, he was asleep half an hour ago. There's 20-30 people outside the Apple Store.

I went into the Apple Store and they are having a good joke. They have plenty of stock that just arrived and find it odd people want to queue when they have been told there's enough.

O2 store were still "don't bother wasting your money, just buy a Touch instead" attitude, even today on launch of the iPhone. All the other phone stores are doing crazy offers today for like 1000 minutes and 2000 texts with a free phone for little as £25/month, way better than the £35 200/200 for the iPhone. Looks like T-Mobile for me.

arkitect
Nov 9, 2007, 08:55 AM
O2 store were still "don't bother wasting your money, just buy a Touch instead" attitude, even today on launch of the iPhone.

Wow. Did they actually say that? :eek:

Interesting…

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
Yes, I have been to two Carphonewarehouse and O2 stores in Brum after a new phone for the last 2-3 weeks and they have said this to me almost every time. Only store that is enthusiastic about the iPhone is the Apple Store. Went to one of the O2 stores today said yes I can have the iPhone if I want, but they seem to know me now after being in around 10 times (lol) so they know to offer me something else.

Basically, I'm a student, they don't like the expensive cost of the contracts, plus the cost of the phone. A better phone (technology wise, yes the iPhone is very crippled in the feature department) and better contracts suits me better. Gosh salesmen in phone stores are honest and want the best for the customer.

They have even offered a free Touch on a £35/month contract with a Blackberry, with paying £30 for the Blackberry plus £7 'blackberry tax' if I wanted unlimited Internet. It also pi**es all over the iPhone contract with 3 times call time and texts allowance.

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 9, 2007, 09:07 AM
Right, back on the train into Birmingham now. Will be passing the O2 and Apple stores on my way to Millennium Point. Time to see the sleepy O2 store customer too.

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 10, 2007, 05:06 AM
Went just past after 6pm to have a look. Staff cheering everyone that walked in and out. Al the staff were in, found out I know some of the staff and never knew they worked there.