Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I can't believe they did this! I want to remove Windows XP from my Macbook and merge the partition with the normal one for Mac OS X! Please tell me I can still do this even though Bootcamp no longer works?

:( :( :(

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
!@#$!! I can't believe this!! Please guys I'm sure there's another way (through a 3rd party application or something) that will let me manage partitions and completely eradicate the one with windows and help it become an active member of the Mac HD society?

:eek:

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Well I did not even know that they were going to stop it until I tried just now to remove windows. Bootcamp assistant simply won't run and it gives you the message saying it has expired!

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Hmm, i'm still able to re-boot into Windows. I know Leopard makes it easy to re-partition. :D But of course if you have Leopard, probalby don't need to get rid of XP.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Well I did not even know that they were going to stop it until I tried just now to remove windows. Bootcamp assistant simply won't run and it gives you the message saying it has expired!

THEY did say it was going to expire and even on the download page it was stated it would expire once leopard was released. I hate to say it but you can't claim ignorant on this one. They clearly marked it out.

When does Boot Camp Beta expire?
As indicated in the license agreement for Boot Camp Beta, the Boot Camp Beta program expires when Mac OS 10.5 Leopard becomes available publicly in October, 2007.

Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expiration
The license to use Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expires on September 30, 2007 (2007-09-30). Boot Camp Assistant Beta will no longer open after expiration.

To continue using Boot Camp Beta for Microsoft Windows on your Intel-based Mac, you'll need to update to Boot Camp Beta 1.4, until Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is available.

Boot Camp Beta 1.3, 1.4 expiration
The license to use Boot Camp Beta expires when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is available to the public. To continue using Boot Camp at that time, upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Important: Apple does not provide technical phone support for using Boot Camp Beta, burning the Macintosh Drivers CD, or installing Windows. Support is available on Apple's website. Fee-based support agreements are not available for Boot Camp Beta.

When you download it it told you it would expire. To remove it from a Tiger system is a bit tricky since Tiger does not support dynamic partitioning from within the OS. Partition manager or something similar might help there.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The only way to get rid of Windows now is to boot into your software restore DVD, use disk utility and perform a clean install of the operating system.

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Thanks for the answers everyone! I'm willing to go ahead with the system restore method after backing up my data, so I hope it works!

Even if they did say it will expire, they should have left a way to at least remove the partition, considering I can still run Windows XP normally (but can't remove it).

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Well the thing is I plan to sell my Macbook, and then prolly get a Macbook Pro with Leopard when it's available from Amazon (or is it now?). So need to prepare the machine for the buyer.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Well the thing is I plan to sell my Macbook, and then prolly get a Macbook Pro with Leopard when it's available from Amazon (or is it now?). So need to prepare the machine for the buyer.

So just do a reinstall of the entire OS. That way you don't have to worry about passwords and such getting into the hands of your buyer.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
What's your system date set to? It's not supposed to expire until after 1/1/08.

that is what I was wondering about too...
the 1.4 version was supposed to be valid till that date.
I think if you still have the 1.3 version then you might be out of luck because I think that version really got disabled a while ago.

Retired
May 16, 2006
that is what I was wondering about too...
the 1.4 version was supposed to be valid till that date.
I think if you still have the 1.3 version then you might be out of luck because I think that version really got disabled a while ago.

1.4 is here :)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The only way to get rid of Windows now is to boot into your software restore DVD, use disk utility and perform a clean install of the operating system.

NONONONONO!!!! just reset your date and time to like june 2007 or something. then you can. thats what i had to do

if you do this it will become unexpired and you can remove the partition without having to do a clean install.

an install should be THE LAST piece of advice ever listed. comeon people

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Great advice everyone, thanks! I'll try the time reset idea just for fun, but then I think I'll just re-install the OS to prepare the machine to be sold.

Thanks! While I'm at it (I know this is the wrong place to ask but...). Will the Leopard-ready Macbook Pro be available at Amazon anytime soon? I don't think they sell it now :).

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Actually setting back to june worked for me! I had 1.2 apparently. Now reinstalling Mac Os X. Thanks everyone. Didn't think it would be that simple :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.