Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helicopter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
mke
ok heres the deal - i just bought my iBook on saturday (mind you i am completely new to the mac world, just switched from a pc) and the apple store employee told me how to set up the internet but i cant remember what he said and ive been playing around trying to figure it out for two days and i cant.

i have sbc yahoo dsl and currently its hooked up to my old pc. i dont want both of them connected at the same time, i just want my iBook hooked up to it.

i go to my system preferences and click network and i have no clue how to set up any of the information that it requires. i used the sbc yahoo booklet that explains how to set it up on os x but it only lets me get as far as confirming my sbc account (which i am online during) but after that it wont let me use internet explorer. yes the ethernet cable is plugged in.

ANY advice on what to do / what im doing wrong / comments would be greatly appreciated. please help me!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Correction: Perhaps you should have SBC talk you though it. I have found that every ISP is a little quirky on the set up. Some use MacPOET others don't. If you have a router, and your account is already verified, you should be able to connect via the ethernet to the router and by setting your Mac for DHCP, under the TCIP settings.

This should get the ball rolling.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Wow, the above post changed quickly. RE: "Apple told me I didn't need a router."

You don't if your physicly moveing the ethernet cable, but to share the account I think you need a router or a switch.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
do you have the 2wire modem, if so i can help you out. i have f***ed with that thing so much i should be tech certified.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.