PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases 'Phase' iPod Game

MacRumors
Nov 7, 2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With the release of iTunes 7.5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/05/itunes-7-5-and-quicktime-7-3-released/), Apple promised support for a new iPod game called "Phase" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGame?id=267719580&s=143441) (iTunes link). The game was released yesterday to iTunes and sells for $4.99.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/11/07/phase.png

Phase is published through MTV Networks/Viacom but is a product of Harmonix (http://www.harmonixmusic.com/), creators of Guitar Hero (http://www.guitarhero.com/).

Phase is an interactive music game that lets you experience songs in an entirely new and unique way. Choose a song in your iTunes library, and Phase will turn it into a gameplay level. Press and glide the iPod's click wheel along with the rhythm of the music to catch notes and flowing sweeps.

The game is compatible with 3rd generation iPod nanos, iPod classic or the 5th generation iPod.

iLounge describes (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/mtv-harmonix-phase/) the gameplay, which is similar to existing rhythm games, such as Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero:
Once you've selected a song, a 3-D road appears on the screen, with discs and dots floating towards you. Your goal is to tap the Click Wheel's left, center, and right buttons to match the current positions of discs that are moving towards the bottom of the screen, and slide your finger on the Click Wheel to catch "flowing sweeps" of dots that appear inbetween the discs.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/07/apple-releases-phase-ipod-game/)

Flowbee
Nov 7, 2007, 02:33 PM
I downloaded this last night. It's surprisingly fun, but the targets don't always seem to match the rhythm of the game. You can 'play' your own songs from iTunes by adding them to your Phase playlist and syncing. Cool.

koobcamuk
Nov 7, 2007, 02:33 PM
I would like this on my iPhone.

ingenious
Nov 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
honestly, I think it's awesome.

but that's just me. :D

siurpeeman
Nov 7, 2007, 02:36 PM

it would make sense to implement a touch interface for this game, much better than a click wheel.

Zuwxiv
Nov 7, 2007, 02:37 PM

They already have it for free. Tap-Tap-Revolution, almost the exact same thing. Except the tappings you create can be shared and downloaded - you can make your own levels.

It's pretty sweet. You'll need to jailbreak it though.

OwlsAndApples
Nov 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ah so this is that 'phase' thing everyone was going on about in the iTunes thread.
Some serious pace :p

offwidafairies
Nov 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
i dont play games, but that pic looks really cool. makes me want to try it

creator2456
Nov 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
Got it last night and stayed up an extra hour just finding good songs for it.

Already addicting!

I even started a thread Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=383109) to post songs that are fun to play.

pianoplayer1
Nov 7, 2007, 03:06 PM
They already have it for free. Tap-Tap-Revolution, almost the exact same thing. Except the tappings you create can be shared and downloaded - you can make your own levels.

It's pretty sweet. You'll need to jailbreak it though.

Yea tap tap blows anything else away, tho its a little buggy.

Best game ever XD

Can
Nov 7, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm buying it. A good waste of 5$ :)

Never mind 5$, it is 7.5$ (40kr) in the Norwegian Tune Store :(

Edit:
It is actually quite good. I like the the feel of it. It seems to move really smooth and effortless.

jklps
Nov 7, 2007, 03:14 PM
Resembles Frequency and Amplitude, two Harmonix pre-Guitar Hero games.

LondonMacs
Nov 7, 2007, 03:14 PM
i really want to try it looks like good fun:D

bilbo--baggins
Nov 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
> The game is compatible with 3rd generation iPod nanos, iPod classic or the 5th generation iPod.

Doesn't that rule out all iPods capable of playing games? What DOES it work on?

EDIT: Oops: read it as in-compatible with... (got so used to all the games being incompatible with everything...)

mikeinternet
Nov 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yea tap tap blows anything else away, tho its a little buggy.

Best game ever XD

I also dig TTR. Especially that it is free and lets me make my own games on my own mp3s and share them.

... for 5 bucks i'm sure this apple game must at least do all that..:)

Trooperof3
Nov 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
looks like a fun game.. I dunno, i never really play games on it.,

Vidd
Nov 7, 2007, 03:30 PM
This looks like the first really cool iPod game.

Sijmen
Nov 7, 2007, 03:33 PM
In TTR the 'create a song' thingy doesn't really seem to work for me. I tap all over the screen but nothing happens - missing something here?

phillipjfry
Nov 7, 2007, 04:01 PM
I guess it'll be Feb '08 before I see any iTouch games :(

puuukeey
Nov 7, 2007, 04:16 PM
first starbucks, now viacom mtv. whats next the Carlyle Group? Cmon apple, partner with a cool company, get TC electronic to do your audio units. Get Universal Display to do your monitors.

or horror of horrors, just open up your platform. you'll save on DRM.

jklps
Nov 7, 2007, 04:33 PM
first starbucks, now viacom mtv. whats next the Carlyle Group? Cmon apple, partner with a cool company, get TC electronic to do your audio units. Get Universal Display to do your monitors.

or horror of horrors, just open up your platform. you'll save on DRM.

It is really a Harmonix game(now owned by MTV) but they are really creative in video games so it's not terrible as you describe.

messedkid
Nov 7, 2007, 04:36 PM
Just bought it after reading this article. Played for about an hour now, and noticed that in easy, it does seem that the song doesn't sync up to the tapping/sweeps required. When you try hard, you'll see that the motions it asks for matches up to the song much much more. I played TNT by AC/DC on hard while sitting on the crapper and sat there for like 20 minutes, just because it was so much fun. xD Sure I had game over because come on, let's face it, I just got the game, I was giving birth to a chocolate baby and was on hard (the game, not the baby :rolleyes:).

All I can say is...It's a lot of fun. :D

Antares
Nov 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
^^Thanks for the image.

Now, I was never good at music games...I wonder if this is worth it for me. It seems pretty cool, though.

onebloodonelife
Nov 7, 2007, 05:02 PM
I can't get the game to recognize that I've made the Phase playlist, so I can't play my own songs.:mad:

Tom B.
Nov 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
It looks really good! I think I will buy it right now. :D
It's gonna be great with the music from MetroidMetal.com (http://www.metroidmetal.com/)!

odedia
Nov 7, 2007, 05:06 PM
This looks so much like a ripoff of TapTap Revolution for the iPhone.

I thought with their money, they can at least be original.

Oded S.

milo
Nov 7, 2007, 05:10 PM

If the guys who did Guitar Hero (three of the biggest selling games of recent years) aren't a "cool company" I don't know who is.
:rolleyes:

This looks so much like a ripoff of TapTap Revolution for the iPhone.

I thought with their money, they can at least be original.

Oded S.

I think you mean that TTR is a ripoff of games like DDR and Guitar Hero?

onebloodonelife
Nov 7, 2007, 05:12 PM
I can't get the game to recognize that I've made the Phase playlist, so I can't play my own songs.:mad:

Scratch that, it took an uninstall and reinstall of Phase on my iPod, and now everything's good.:o

mikeinternet
Nov 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
In TTR the 'create a song' thingy doesn't really seem to work for me. I tap all over the screen but nothing happens - missing something here?

Same thing happened to my bro's iphone, but mine works great. I think we did everything the same. I don't know.

mark476p
Nov 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
Downloaded it last night and spent hours testing different songs. I agree with the poster who mentioned that it's more on beat in Hard mode than Easy mode.

Fun game... my thumbs are sore.

CapitalQ
Nov 7, 2007, 05:44 PM
Downloaded it last night and spent hours testing different songs. I agree with the poster who mentioned that it's more on beat in Hard mode than Easy mode.

Fun game... my thumbs are sore.

It's best on Expert mode! All you have to do is beat a Marathon on Hard to unlock it. :]

(Phase is really easy if you're good at Guitar Hero.)

chr1s60
Nov 7, 2007, 06:16 PM

Same here. I really would enjoy a game I could play that did not require me using the internet. I am tired of the same old web app games. I would like something with a few levels and the option to save my progress.

Idle
Nov 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
In TTR the 'create a song' thingy doesn't really seem to work for me. I tap all over the screen but nothing happens - missing something here?It doesn't show anything while you're tapping a new song, but it's registering the taps. When the song's over, give it a couple seconds and it'll show up as a playable one in the directory.

TTR is a cool game, but it crashed my iPhone every. single. time. Usually I could force-quit it, but after my 4th hard reset, I was convinced to un-jailbreak. Those apps in general just made things way too unstable.

quigleybc
Nov 7, 2007, 08:38 PM
I was giving birth to a chocolate baby and was on hard (the game, not the baby :rolleyes:).

:D

hilarious.

thanks for that.

lamina
Nov 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
Why is this $5.99 Canadian??

With the exchange the way it is, it should cost me $4.50 Canadian.

Bought it anyway. :) It's pretty cool. Like DDR for your fingers.

JPyre
Nov 7, 2007, 08:57 PM
TTR is a cool game, but it crashed my iPhone every. single. time. Usually I could force-quit it, but after my 4th hard reset, I was convinced to un-jailbreak. Those apps in general just made things way too unstable.

Ummm... I had the same thing happen, on my 5th iPhone jailbreak (other 4 phones ran TTR just fine) so I uninstalled, and reinstalled and it works fine, I don't know why you gave up so easily. Having TTR, ApolloIM, VoiceRecorder and NES on my iPhones and all my friend's iPhones has made them much more usefull and enjoyable. I think Apple owes me a commission, 2 people I know went out and bought an iPhone within days of showing them TTR. They then proceeded to call me and have me jailbreak it for them, nobody has had any issues and everybody is happy, and yes, I told them not to update through iTunes untill I gave them the go-ahead.

tbobmccoy
Nov 7, 2007, 10:18 PM
If the guys who did Guitar Hero (three of the biggest selling games of recent years) aren't a "cool company" I don't know who is.

not to be picky... but harmonix didn't do GH3, Activision did. Harmonix is doing Rock Band though, and although it's more expensive, it should be worth it.

teiresias
Nov 7, 2007, 10:36 PM

I'm having the same issue, I've added songs to the playlist that iTunes created and resynced my iPod. I can see the songs in the Playlist on the iPod, but Phase refuses to recognize I have music in there.

What a waste of $5.

brgnewman
Nov 7, 2007, 10:39 PM
What an awesome game!

Throw a little The Used, Marianas Trench, My Chemical Romance, etc into the Phase Playlist, hop onto the train and just start to play it

Fun little game, DEFINITELY RECOMMEND IT!

StealthRider
Nov 7, 2007, 11:43 PM
It messes with some of my 5G 60GB's settings though - clicker is turned off, songs set to single repeat, etc. I've been meaning to do a restore, I'll do that and get back to you all.

pooryou
Nov 8, 2007, 12:18 AM
not to be picky... but harmonix didn't do GH3, Activision did. Harmonix is doing Rock Band though, and although it's more expensive, it should be worth it.

To be more specific, Neversoft actually created GH3. But Harmonix created the franchise in the first place, without them it wouldn't exist.

curiosa863
Nov 8, 2007, 12:42 AM
The Clash
Straight To Hell
Best song i've played yet...
Perfect for this game.

curiosa863
Nov 8, 2007, 01:12 AM
Nas Feat. Busta Rhymes

Suicide Bounce

Best hip hop song I've played.

iQuit
Nov 8, 2007, 01:13 AM
Now just 99 cents.

iEdd
Nov 8, 2007, 04:08 AM
Looks awesome, makes me wonder why there are so many negatives :confused::
Mac Buyer's Guide: iPod
Rating (43 Positives; 43 Negatives)

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 04:41 AM
it would make sense to implement a touch interface for this game, much better than a click wheel.

Check out tap tap revolution http://cre.ations.net/creation/tap-tap-revolution
it is available via installer.app. :cool:

jawporta
Nov 8, 2007, 06:36 AM
What does Apple think we're stupid? Why buy another iPod game from them when they won't work once the iPod gets updated.

twoodcc
Nov 8, 2007, 07:05 AM
seems like a pretty good game. but i'm really looking forward to iPhone games though.

Roy Hobbs
Nov 8, 2007, 07:24 AM
What does Apple think we're stupid? Why buy another iPod game from them when they won't work once the iPod gets updated.

Its $5, big deal if it doesnt work on the next iPod.

You guys are way too damn cheap sometimes

Yateball
Nov 8, 2007, 07:50 AM
Why the hell is this getting so many negatives? It's a new game released for your ipod! SURE, I understand how the game might not be for everyone, so they don't download it... but how can that be a negative.

Just mind blowing....

Anyway this game is pretty cool if you're into the whole guitar hero scene. Worth 5 bucks for a time waster I'd say.

doemel
Nov 8, 2007, 07:54 AM
Looks awesome, makes me wonder why there are so many negatives :confused::

Maybe because a good many of us don't want to read this sort of pettiness on MacRumors?

xUKHCx
Nov 8, 2007, 07:57 AM
Maybe because a good many of us don't want to read this sort of pettiness on MacRumors?

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

Seriously you don't have to click the thread, and it is a good thing that theyt posted it afterall it is news from apple and people on here want to hear news from apple. Some people may not be aware of this until seeing theis thread and so it benefits them.

Froettmaning
Nov 8, 2007, 08:22 AM

Yes, some of us are more interested in clock speeds! ;)

This game is incredibly addictive, it really picks up on harder settings.

lifeboy001
Nov 8, 2007, 09:13 AM

As somebody might have said before, this all came from Frequency and Amplitude, Harmonix games that pre-date guitar hero.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/frequency.html
http://www.harmonixmusic.com/amplitude.html

I really suggest getting these games if you enjoy this genre- being a bit older now and less interested in video games, I bought a PS2 only to play them.

If we're going to get technical though, I believe DDR came out in 1998 while Frequency was 2001. There is a big difference in my opinion, and Phase may convince me to go back to full-sized ipods...

SthrnCmfrtr
Nov 8, 2007, 10:22 AM
This was the first iPod game I ever bought 8) It's pretty neat, although I'm going to have to try it with other bands besides The Doors to see how well it goes. Smiths, Ween, Nirvana, Skynyrd 8)

Rengeul
Nov 8, 2007, 02:11 PM
Last night after playing Phase for a couple of hours I had several exceptionally well runs on 'Daft Punk: Musique Vol. 1'. And suddenly this 'Super Frenzy' thing turned up! The dots turned red and the music started to go really fast. The music sounded really weird, sometimes distorted. Like high pitched (from the speedup), but at the same the bass remained "bass" (I don't know how to explain it better). Ultra stress but really funny. :)

Over and over again I tried to get this back today, but even two perfect runs in a row wouldn't make it!! So pleease, if anybody knows the exact criteria for starting this, let me know!!!

jensepollense
Nov 8, 2007, 03:18 PM
has anyone else had problems with it freezing and then having to reset the ipod?
i played it for quite a bit yesterday and today, and it must have happened at least 3 times. it's pretty annoying, and i have my menus a certain way so i dont feel like customizing them every time i have to restart because of the game.

zombitronic
Nov 8, 2007, 04:10 PM
Did anyone see South Park last night? I know it featured Guitar Hero and not Phase, but just the popularity and likeness of these games is a funny timing coincidence, if not a well oiled marketing machine by Harmonix, Apple, and more indirectly, South Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/3337b.jpg

:apple:

writeous
Nov 8, 2007, 07:31 PM
The game is pretty tight. The iPod Classic clickwheel unreponsiveness kind of ruins the fun every now and then though.

DaftUnion
Nov 8, 2007, 10:42 PM
Looks fun. When I buy a new iPod with that iPhone credit, this is def. something I want.

macguymike
Nov 9, 2007, 12:19 AM
When I add the game to my shopping cart, it does not have a "Buy Game" button by it. Instead, a "View" button is there and when I click it, I get the message...

The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.

Also, I can't remove the game from my cart!

What gives?? :confused:

Tom B.
Nov 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
When I add the game to my shopping cart, it does not have a "Buy Game" button by it. Instead, a "View" button is there

I had the same problem, I had to change to 1-click mode instead of shopping cart mode to be able to buy it.

iEdd
Nov 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
Did anyone see South Park last night? I know it featured Guitar Hero and not Phase, but just the popularity and likeness of these games is a funny timing coincidence, if not a well oiled marketing machine by Harmonix, Apple, and more indirectly, South Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/3337b.jpg

:apple:

Yeah, it was great! :D Poor old Randy Marsh.