Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsanders9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
A week ago i turned on my ibook and about 30 minutes later the display turned off. So i rebooted and the display turned off again except this time it turned within 15 minutes. So everytime i rebooted the display would turn off even faster. Now whenever I turn the ibook on, the display doesnt even turn on anymore and the fan starts running at a really speed. Occasionally the ibook will fully boot up, but then 20 minutes later the display will go black again, and all the other starts happening again. Could someone please HELP i use my ibook everyday for school.

kufel

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
New York
Jus tin case, search apple support for instructions - try resetting the pram and nvram [worth a shot]. But it sounds like you might need a logic board replacement.

tsanders9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
if it was a failed logic board why would i be able too fully boot it up sometimes

kufel

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
New York
if it was a failed logic board why would i be able too fully boot it up sometimes

you might be better off finding an electronics engineering major and asking him, but drying joints resulting in kind of "movable" connectors are the thing, the most viable resolution being the replacement of said component, and yes it might eventually happen again with the replacement which will be a refurbished component at that point in time.

or if you prefer, kill a chicken or a goat as a sacrifice and maybe it will make it startup 99.9% of the time again

your choice mate :)

tsanders9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
I know that logic board was a common problem in the ibook g4s, has apple created some sort of recall or are they still saying that it isnt a mass defect

kufel

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
New York
I know that logic board was a common problem in the ibook g4s, has apple created some sort of recall or are they still saying that it isnt a mass defect

yeah G4 ibook MLBs are a somewhat heard about problem, however when you think about it there only a few main components in a laptop which may fail, I've seen many more HDs fail in ibooks than MLBs, I rarely seen an ibook G4 with more than one MLB replacement, the official recall was issued only on G3 iBooks.

As opposed to likelihoods and statistics, you should probably think is it worth paying about $300 [us] for a flat fee apple repair which will only have a 90 day warranty on it, or is it better to put it towards a new macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.