PDA

View Full Version : Bit rate not right

DopestGingah
Nov 7, 2007, 04:50 PM
I have iTunes version 7.5 (now that I think about it, this problem never happened on any previous version) and I have the new Angels & Airwaves album at 320 kbps. I want to make this 256 kbps like the rest of my library. So I have the prefrences set up to import at 256 kbps w/ no VBR. But after I select the songs and convert to AAC, the new songs come up as random bit rates (none of them are 256 kbps)! What is wrong!?!

lostless
Nov 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
Itunes is now correctly showing the average bit rate of VBR AACs. Some songs use more data then others. Some may not need all 256Kbs all the time. In VBR, the encoder only uses the import rate as around where the encoer should try to keep the song, but if it doesn't need that much, it will go below that rate. It it needs more, it will go above. Look at a VBR MP3 in itunes and see that it shows the same random number

DopestGingah
Nov 7, 2007, 06:47 PM
Itunes is now correctly showing the average bit rate of VBR AACs. Some songs use more data then others. Some may not need all 256Kbs all the time. In VBR, the encoder only uses the import rate as around where the encoer should try to keep the song, but if it doesn't need that much, it will go below that rate. It it needs more, it will go above. Look at a VBR MP3 in itunes and see that it shows the same random number

Okay well is there any way to force iTunes to make it 256kpbs? I don't like this because I sometimes sort my music by bit rate and now there will be random numbers everywhere! Is there anyway I can "downgrade" iTunes then?

vandlism
Nov 8, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah I have this happening too, even though itunes is set to 256 CBR.

DopestGingah
Nov 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah I have this happening too, even though itunes is set to 256 CBR.

Really? What iTunes version do you have? And if you have 7.5, then did this happen with any previous version?

DopestGingah
Nov 8, 2007, 08:21 PM

I did not set it to VBR though! So it all should be 256kbps!

Blue Velvet
Nov 11, 2007, 07:08 PM
Thread closed due to excessive and repeated bumping.