Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
Im trying to find out that is the best longest lasting CDR media

i have heard that Kodak Gold are one of the best.

any recommendations?? im looking for something for archival purposes..

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Most media is good.

Just store it properly, let no water get near those disks!

Seal em tight or something.

I haven't heard bad stuff about archiving them as much as water/(ech) Mold damage.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Sony

I've been buying Sony CD-R's and CD-RW's for years and never had a problem with them.

jonbenya

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2003
The best media by far is from a company called tayo yuden. they actually manufacture i believe 80% or so of all cdr stock in the world. There is a grading scale for CDR's that dictates their bulk sales prices, so "A grade" CD's are kept by them to sell at a premium mostly to album mastering houses and recording studios. B-D Grade CDR's are usually sold to other compaines such as TDK, Sony, etc. the complication to this is that CD quality control can change from batch to batch, based on the success of the dye process and so forth. For burning personal CD's Tayo Yuden is a bit of overkill IMO, and can be difficult to consistently obtain. I find myself constantly changing CD brands based on sales personally, unless I am burning CD's to go to mastering, in which case I always have a pack of TY's on hand to get the best quality burn. If you're ever unsure of the quality of CD's that you're using, CD Analyzers are a wonderful thing. :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've had mixed things with Sony media not being read in many CD players so I tend to stay away from them. Memorex is always really good for me, though. TDK is pretty top notch, too. Just stay away from those stupid stacks, though, since half of them get all scratched up since there is no protection to keep them from damaging each other and you will end up with 100s of random discs without enough cases to go around to protect the ones that do survive.

jonbenya

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2003
The TY's can be ordered through specialty shops such as Sam Ash or Guitar Center; essentially anywhere that has a pro audio department.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've been using cheap spindles of 100 CD-Rs for a couple of years... no problems. i usually get the cheapest i can find, around AUD $40 for a 100 spindle. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.