Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
(Note: I did do a search, didn't see an existing thread, lemme know if I missed one.)

This is a very serious recall.

Official page by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Hazard: The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added contains a chemical that can turn toxic when many are ingested. Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures.

Incidents/Injuries: CPSC has received two reports over the past several days of children swallowing Aqua Dots. A 20-month-old child swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state for a period of time, was hospitalized, and has since fully recovered. A second child also vomited and slipped into a comatose state and was hospitalized for five days.

Description: The recalled toy is a craft kit which allows children to create various multi-dimensional designs using small colored beads. The beads fuse together when sprayed with water. The recall applies to all models of Aqua Dots. The product is available in various different kits with accessories such as a drying fan, applicator pen, design templates for the beads, and spray bottle. The product is labeled for ages 4+.

Sold at: Mass merchandisers nationwide from April 2007 through November 2007 for between $17 and $30.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately take the recalled toy away from children and contact Spin Master to return for free replacement beads or a toy of equal value.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Spin Master at (800) 622-8339 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at http://www.aquadotsrecall.com

Apparently this is quite a hot item for kids and a lot of children really wanted/ want this toy. Please please please make sure that those you know w/ kids are aware of this recall.

It seems these were first recalled in Australia under the name, "Bindeez" or somesuch and have just within the last day or so been recalled here in the States. Amazon has pulled these toys off their site and Toys 'R Us has taken them off shelves.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
When will we stop buying stuff from china?

I doubt this has anything to do with China except them manufacturing it. If I'm not mistaken, the distributor and the designer is Spinmaster in Toronto, Canada. They're the ones that came up with the hazardous design, the Chinese just made what they were told to.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Nobody should be surprised. With a name like Aqua Dots it even sounds like a recreational drug.

Coming to a club near you :)

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
My two oldest daughters were pretty bummed when I told them that there won't be Aqua Dots for Christmas. I'm glad though. I really didn't want to buy it for them.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
My two oldest daughters were pretty bummed when I told them that there won't be Aqua Dots for Christmas. I'm glad though. I really didn't want to buy it for them.

Yeah, this doesn't sound like a very good product at all.

Hundreds of tiny little dots, which could easily get lost or scattered if you dropped the container, are easily swallowable and a choking hazard even if not coated with this stuff? And then once you "stick" it with water, that's it?

Seems like the toy manufacturers would just love to sell you a cheaply-made product which is essentially "one-time use" -- you play, you're done, you throw it out. Whatever happened to long-lasting, wholesome toys?

pdh1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
I doubt this has anything to do with China except them manufacturing it. If I'm not mistaken, the distributor and the designer is Spinmaster in Toronto, Canada. They're the ones that came up with the hazardous design, the Chinese just made what they were told to.

:mad:Wrong. China switched the chemicals that were used because they were cheaper. They weren't making them with what they were supposed to.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
:mad:Wrong. China switched the chemicals that were used because they were cheaper. They weren't making them with what they were supposed to.

Wrong, the company failed to keep tight quality control.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with where anything is made, it all comes down to quality control, and how much the original company really cares about how their products are made. sorry it's just facts.

pdh1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
Wrong, the company failed to keep tight quality control.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with where anything is made, it all comes down to quality control, and how much the original company really cares about how their products are made. sorry it's just facts.

Righttttttt, just like the Pet Food that killed peoples dogs:

"CNBC: China's former top drug regulator was sentenced to death in an unusually harsh punishment for taking bribes to approve substandard medicines, including an antibiotic blamed for at least 10 deaths.

Seeking to address broadening concerns over food, the government also announced plans for its first recall system for unsafe products.

The developments are among the most dramatic steps Beijing has taken to address domestic and international alarm over shoddy and unsafe Chinese goods -- from pet food ingredients and toothpaste mixed with industrial chemicals to tainted antibiotics."

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The Chinese did not do as they were supposed to. As in other cases, the factory owners substituted materials with cheaper ones that are hazardous. Sure we can blame Spinmaster (as they should have had a greater presence during QA) but we can also blame the factory owners who substituted these materials. Blame rarely falls entirely upon a single party ;)

Uhh yeah, this has nothing to do with the pet food recall, sorry.
No, but they do present a pattern. If Americans care about their safety, they're going to have to stop buying Chinese made goods (at least in the short term). I believe the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

When we are willing to pay more for products, and when people will work for $5 an hour to make the stuff.

I think that number is really closer to 50 cents/hour. Most factory workers only make about that much. There's no way any developed nation can offer labor at that price.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the manufacturer substitute one of the materials with the cheaper hazardous one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.