Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfresh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Anyone thought about a spirit level app for the Touch.

If you've ever put up shelves or any other simple DIY activity you'll have used one those little yellow glass tubes filled liquid and with a bubble in it to get your shelves level. Effective, if a bit analog!

Since the Touch has an acceleromter, how much more cool would it be to have a yellow screen with a little image of a bubble which moves around according to how level the Touch is? If you had markings in the centre of the screen you could place your Touch on your shelves and adjust them till the bubble was dead center - and your shelves where level.

Touch = totally brilliant digital spirit level which plays music and videos too!

Now "all" we need is someone to code it...

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
I doubt it would work as an accelerometer senses movement, not leveling (AFAIK)

mfresh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I am not sure you are correct that it wouldn't work:

If you have a play with the Sensor app you'll see that the measurements for roll and pitch persist even when the Touch is not moving. Essentially the spirit level app would be taking this data and presenting it visually.

It is called an accelerometer though, so one would assume that it measures acceleration....

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
If you have a play with the Sensor app you'll see that the measurements for roll and pitch persist even when the Touch is not moving. Essentially the spirit level app would be taking this data and presenting it visually.

If there is constant feedback on pitch and roll, then yes it would be doable.

If it only measures movement, then it probably wont work.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
it could work, but my experience of the Touch's accelerometer is that it's too inexact to be used as a device like that

i always prefer a spirit level with a liquid in it anyway...leave gravity do its job :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.