PDA

View Full Version : I Just Have To Say This!!!

DakotaGuy
Apr 14, 2002, 03:45 PM
Just sitting here...on my iBook...Oh every day goes by and I love this little machine more and more. As I type a favorite song of mine is playing off of iTunes...sounding perfect through a set of Bose speakers, never missing a beat...I just plugged in my Kodak and downloaded 100 pictures on to iPhoto. I made my own movie with sound, effects, and titles...it was so easy!!! One button, that is all it took! When I click on Mail...there is my new email, when I hit IE I am off into the www world. It never fails to impress me with features, everyday I learn something new about my Mac and about OSX. Today I helped a friend of mine purchase a new iBook. He spent a lot of time around mine, and fell in love with it. He had a Dell Latitude. He could not get downloads to work right, had to go though 10 steps to get pictures off of his camera and could not even get an MP3 to play right on it. He finally made the decision yesterday when I brough my iBook over to his apartment and he got a chance to see them side by side. The graphics, the sound, the quality, and more then anything the ease of use, made the old Dell look like junk.

Yes I love my Mac. I have to argue hard with Windows people, because they tell me...they don't care that Windows is a poor OS...they will take crashes and glitches...because everyone else puts up with it. Pretty hard to argue with someone who does not even support their own system, they just run it...and as one friend of mine stats, he is perfectly happy to send Bill his money, even if his products are not very good.

Two years ago...my first Mac showed up on my doorsteps. I ran up to greet the UPS man...I was so excited to open the box! Well I still love that little Blueberry iMac, and I love this iBook even more. I am away from home for the next couple of months and poor Macky is sitting home all alone on a desk with a dust cover over him. But the end of May I will get to fire him up and experience the excitement all over again. For now I am enjoying my iBook and since I got it in December I have already used it to convet two windows users. I will fight hard to defend my Macs...always....you should too!!!

mac15
Apr 14, 2002, 04:42 PM
yeah I hear ya
look at itunes the easiest music
iphoto the easiest for digital photography
iDVD super easy
imovie and its complete

But how hard is it to rip mp3s in WMP in windows XP
you can't rip mp3s you can only rip WMAs which suck
and the windows movies maker is so SH#T and very unstable

and don't get me statred on DVD in windows
they can barely play DVDs let alone burn one

and digital camera suck in windows
I could develop my own before you could get it off your camera in windows

Its just fun and exciting to use macs
APPLE FOR LIFE

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 05:46 PM
XP leaves a lot of basic functonality out...and then charges you to get it back in...

You have to BUY the codecs to allow MP3 ripping and DVD playback through Media Player...what kind of bogus crap is that?!?

I love my Mac
Never turning back

me hate windows
Apr 14, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by mac15

But how hard is it to rip mp3s in WMP in windows XP
you can't rip mp3s you can only rip WMAs which suck
and the windows movies maker is so SH#T and very unstable

and don't get me statred on DVD in windows
they can barely play DVDs let alone burn one

and digital camera suck in windows
I could develop my own before you could get it off your camera in windows

Its just fun and exciting to use macs
APPLE FOR LIFE
I think you are wrong on a few things. I don't know about ripping mp3's in Windows, but DVD's play better on a buddy's WinXP laptop(using PCfriendly DVD than my 450G4 (his laptop is 500Mhz with 128 ram.) My tower has 576 ram. And the WinXP digital camera wizard thingy is more stable than iPhoto. iPhoto crashes whenever I eject the camera and unplug it, and then it takes down the whole top Apple menu.
The windows movie maker does suck, and burning DVD's is even worse. But not all stuff is super horrible in Windows.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by me hate windows

I think you are wrong on a few things. I don't know about ripping mp3's in Windows, but DVD's play better on a buddy's WinXP laptop(using PCfriendly DVD than my 450G4 (his laptop is 500Mhz with 128 ram.) My tower has 576 ram. And the WinXP digital camera wizard thingy is more stable than iPhoto. iPhoto crashes whenever I eject the camera and unplug it, and then it takes down the whole top Apple menu.
The windows movie maker does suck, and burning DVD's is even worse. But not all stuff is super horrible in Windows.

DVD playback is related to the video card specs, not the OS...
XP's digital capture equates to Image Capture, not iPhoto...

Bobd
Apr 14, 2002, 06:50 PM
I totally agree with me hate windows when he says that not everything is super horrible in Windows. I think we do not live in a world made of Black and White...

The iPhoto example is a good one, for this sort of things exists in Windows XP too, and actually came out before iPhoto did. Abercrombieboy, I don't know about your friend's Dell, but I know that on my PC MP3's play just fine and i have nothing against WMA (mac15, why did say it sucks?), and I've never had any problem downloading whatsoever. I'd even say that on some features (I did say "some") WMP is better than iTunes : I don't think, for example, you can get iTunes to identify the CD you insert and display the cover for you. Anyway, I guess that your friend's computer must have a problem of some sort, but I can also find examples of mac users friends of mine who keep on having problems surfing on the web or viewing DVDs, or... And when they ask me, I just tell them that their software is probably not properly configured and that it needs fixing... not that it sucks.

Again, OSX has great features, such as DVD Burning. But keep in mind that you only get that software on Superdrive equipped machines. When you buy a PC equipeed with a DVD Burner, it also comes with its basic burning and authoring software. As I recall, iDVD is not a part of OSX, it's just another optionnal application... As for WMP, if you don't like it, get Winamp or one of the dozens free MP3 player available out there...
(By the way, next version of Windows will natively support DVD+RW burning)

But let me tell you that I also think that some features in Windows are just useless or simply not good : I never use Moviemaker for example...

As for Windows users who have to put up with glitches and crashes... Tell me... When OSX first came out, who was claiming it to be the best OS ever, while it was overall slow, buggy, and slower than before on your favorite apps? And wouldn't you call that a bug, when you install a MP3 player update that completely deletes a partition of your hard drive? Still, you keep on using (and loving) you Mac. Why couldn't Windows users do the same? As for stability, I have to say my Windows XP runs 24 hours a day (I'm a massive downloader) without any problem. Not everybody can say that, both on Mac and PC sides, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd say Windows XP suits my personnal, home needs and suits them well, more that OSX (which I use at work, too) does.

I'm not trying (nor do I want to) to start a Mac vs PC debate , but I think some of your information was not accurate. As I've already stated in this forum, I'd be more than happy if Microsoft would incorporate some of OSX features in Windows, and i think that many Mac users would be happy to see Apple integrate things from the PC world. The ideal, universal, perfect OS is not there yet...

Bobd
Apr 14, 2002, 06:55 PM
Rower_CPU You can, in the Luna interface, by right clicking on a picture, send it via email, have it printed over the internet, or share it on a community website, and of course, print it (different sizes and layouts). All of this you can also do via the Capture Image wizard. That's why it can be compared to iPhoto in my opinion.

iPhoto does other things, and does them very well, by the way... But for users who just want to do what i stated, Windows XP will work like a charm. Well, it does work like a charm for me... :)

blackpeter
Apr 14, 2002, 07:00 PM
Your story seems similar to a lot of Mac-convert tales I've heard (even my own).

For the masses, the idea of switching over to the Mac OS carries a lot of stigmas. They say, "I won't be able to do everything I do with Windows. Don't I have to buy all new programs. And even then - is every program I run on my PC even available for the Mac...?"

A lot of people, the PC population included, seem to think it fair to trade freedom for convenience. Sure their computers crash a lot, but at least they can find a million people to service it. "Where do I bring my Mac to every time it needs to be fixed." This question worried me a year ago when I bough my first Apple. Silly me, I didn't know that Macs hardly need fixing* ;)

That PC paradigm was encoded in my brain. Bill Gates had succeded in programming me to think that technology was not accessible for me beyond the surface level - that I need to rely on techs to keep my computer running - that I need to upgrade to the latest Windows every 6 to 8 months - that if their software still didn't work, then I probably needed to buy a new computer.

When I sat down and played with my freind's G4, my computer life turned a corner. I saw it on his desk and couldn't believe that a computer looked so attractive. I just wanted to go up and touch it - which he offered. He pulled down the side panel with one simple move and I was in awe. So clever yet so obvious! Using it proved to be an equally plesant experience. The machine ran the way it looked: smooth, simple, powerful.

When I have friends over who've never seen my G4 rig, I see them go through the same thing I did. The marvel over how good it looks and can't believe that getting at it's guts is as simple as opening a drawer. When they boot into OS X, I can see them thinking (sometimes they do it aloud) "Why dosen't my OS look this pretty? Isn't Windows supposed to be better." Pretty isn't the half of it. I usually point out that my machine has been on for a week since it's last reboot.

My Dad has never owned a computer in his life, but at 53 he purchased a TiBook. My brother scoffed at my purchase of an Apple - but came around when he actually came face-to-face with it. Now he wants me to keep him up to date on the hardware rumors. He's in the market for a G5 ;)

The biggest challenge Apple has is breaking through the MS "training." If eveyone could just try a Mac for a day, I don't think many would go back. It's getting them there that's the tough part.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 09:02 PM
Bobd-
Good points, but what's your take on the "pay-to-play" situation of XP?

Bobd
Apr 15, 2002, 02:50 AM
Well, agai, I'm not saying that Windows XP is perfect, and I certainly don't agree with MS monopolistic attitude. In my opinion, the fact there is no MP3 encoder included is because MS wants to promote their own codec (WMA). But ou can play MP3 on WinXP, you just can't record them.
I don't see this as much of a problem, actually. I see 2 reasons for people to need MP3 encoding : either to rip CD's so that they can listen to them while working etc.; or because they use a portable MP3 device. First case, who cares if the music you ripped is MP3 or WMA, in my opinion they offer the same sort of quality (good enough for my non-musician ear at least). Second case, when you buy a MP3 portable player, it comes with its own MP3 encoding and transferring software, wich, as it will install the appropriate codec, it will become available in WMP.
So I don't thnk it's a big deal for the final user, who can easily find workarounds (and you can actually get free MP3 enocders should you need them. What I think is that it's a big deal as
But still, there are free encoders available which will make for it if you need them (http://www.mp3-converter.com/encoders/mp3_encoder_downloads.htm). It is a big deal as it shows a notoriously aggressive attitude from MS using unfair ways to promote their own standards.

As for DVD's, Last Windows version did not offer support for reading them (you needed a separate player, like PowerDVD). Now, it still doesn't support DVD playing, but they made so it was ready to use 3rd party codecs to play DVD's. Which means that if you want a basic DVD player, you can have it for a smaller price (only the codec) than in previous versions of Windows, which somehow is an improvement (of course, there is room for a lot more...) I have actually found a free "DVD playing in WinXP" package, I just don't know if it is legal or not... So on this point, OSX definitely is btter than WinXP, since it comes with its own DVD software. By the way, are there any other DVD players available on Mac? If not, that would be a good reason for Apple to have developped their own... On the other hands, Windows XP also has some features that OSX doesn't (Messenger for example), it doesn't make it a better OS, nor a worse one...

j763
Apr 16, 2002, 01:47 AM
XP vs. OS X...
From someone who actually uses both OS's on a daily basis!

Photography:

iPhoto has many more features than the inbuilt XP camera support. However, iPhoto is far too unstable for an Apple App... It is reasonable to expect this to be addressed in an iPhoto update.

Movies & DVD:

iMovie is miles ahead of WMM. FCP is way better than iMovie... However, WMP can play both audio & video. I see this as an advantage... Watching DVDs is pretty much equal if you use a third-party Windows player. DVD Burning -- forget about it if you're using XP...

Music:

To clear this up, WMP can rip MP3s... The catch is that you can only rip at a max of 160 bitrate. This is the default setting in iTunes as well, however, you can change it to whatever you like (i like 192 -- small files, good sound). WMA files are better quality and smaller than MP3s (you're probably waiting for the word but. Well here it is) BUT they can contain copyright protection!

Bobd
Apr 16, 2002, 02:14 AM
j763 mostly I agree with you. I use both OS's too, by the way.

As to DVD burning, you should consider that OSX does not include it. iDVD does, and it is not included as a standard on every Mac, nor is it free, since you can't download it for free. It's actually something you pay for when you choose a Mac with a Superdrive. It is a DVD burning app made by Apple.

So it's not very fair to compare both OS's on this point because as i stated earlier, PC's that include a DVD-R or DVD+RW burner also include a third party software in order to actually use the device... It's kinf of like comparing Appleworks to Word because both happen to be included on different computers...

Just to let you know, since you use Windows XP too, there's a registery tweak available to encode MP3 up to 256 kbit/s. If you can read French, you'll find it here : http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windowsxp2002.html#MP3. Ands as to copyright information in WMA, that doesn't bother me, but I guess it depends on what you need MP3's for...

Rower_CPU
Apr 16, 2002, 10:09 AM
j763, I use both OSes too...

What I find troubling is that MS is making people pay for things that should be built into its apps.

Even worse, the DVD player that came with my two year old videocard isn't supported by XP...so where does that leave me? My DVD-ROM is essentially useless until I pony up $30 or so to by new software to replace something that works perfectly fine in Win2K, WinME, Win98...

eyelikeart
Apr 16, 2002, 10:25 AM
I use 2 OS as well....9 & X....he he he...

whenever I run 9...I'm reminded of how much quicker it is...seems like a faster computer when I do (my TiBook that is)...

then the ********* crashes and I'm reminded of why I love OS X so much...he he he :p

macstudent
Apr 16, 2002, 10:58 AM
From the PC users that I know, no one actually uses WMP unless it is to watch a video they downloaded from the net. The best mp3 program on a pc is winamp hands down. They have an alpha out for mac which is severly limited and does not compare to itunes.

If a decent version of winamp was available for mac, I would be interesting to see if it was better than itunes. Although since it would not sync with an ipod it would lose that argument.

eyelikeart
Apr 16, 2002, 11:14 AM
there still is MacAmp....or MacCast...whatever it is....

works well...but u need to buy it....so why buy when there's iTunes?? :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe
Apr 16, 2002, 11:32 AM
Staying on topic, I've had my first G4 for about a week right now and I love her. I'm getting over the "new OS learning curve" so more of my time is being spent doing what I want to do, instead of figuring out how to do what I want to do. ;)

And I have to agree with Bobd that both OS's have their pro's/con's and neither OS is as bad as the opposite camp says it is.
Right out of the box I'd say that OS X is probably a bit more feature filled then XP, but there are thousands of share/freeware proggies for Windows so that buying added functionality<sp?> from M$ (or anyone else) isn't even needed. Not to mention that people with...uhhh... low moral character can download almost any windows app they want for free. In fact M$'s tactics is probably one of the most used excused from ripping off M$ software.

And I honestly don't know anyone who uses WMP for music. Why would you when winamp and sonique (not as good, but has cooler skins) are free and have a huge base of "home coders" making free skins and plugins?

Well, I'm going to continue to use both my Mac and my PC so I'll be getting the best of both worlds. :D

Lethal

mcrain
Apr 16, 2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
there still is MacAmp....or MacCast...whatever it is....

works well...but u need to buy it....so why buy when there's iTunes?? :rolleyes:

And people scoff when I say that Apple is just as anticompetitive as M$...

Mal
Apr 16, 2002, 12:05 PM
mcrain:
There's a big difference between preventing competitors from being able to develop products properly and simply creating a better product. Apple is not as anticompetetive as you think, the closest they've come is denying the clone licenses. That was simply because they were hurting Apple's reputation, and sending more people to the dark side. I mean, c'mon, Darwin is OpenSource! Any developer has access to the base source code they need to develop apps for the Mac.

That's not my definition of anticompetetive.