PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Firmware 1.1.2 Arriving Friday

MacRumors
Nov 8, 2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Pocket-lint.co.uk received (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/11199/12223/iphone-update-112-confirmed-apple.phtml) confirmation from Apple that the 1.1.2 firmware update would become available to all iPhone owners on Friday, November 9th.
Although the time could not be confirmed, iPhone owners who sync their device with iTunes tomorrow in the States will be presented with the option to upgrade to the new firmware.
The new firmware incorporates more international language support, and there have been rumors that it will again break many of the 3rd party hacks for the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/08/iphone-firmware-1-1-2-arriving-friday/)

pdpfilms
Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 AM
Sounds pretty irrelevant for U.S. english speakers. Not really any reason to upgrade from 1.1.1...

arn
Nov 8, 2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds pretty irrelevant for U.S. english speakers. Not really any reason to upgrade from 1.1.1...

I'm sure there are bug fixes included as well.

arn

SilentPanda
Nov 8, 2007, 10:43 AM
I will finally be able to have a piñata party!

Do not hit the panda with a stick.

VaDor
Nov 8, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sure there are bug fixes included as well.

arn

And will break lots of 3rd party software lol :apple:

JDC55
Nov 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
Flash support???????

FunkyJunk
Nov 8, 2007, 10:49 AM
It will probably patch the TIFF exploit. This would break the hacks in the process since that's how they work, but it would provide a more secure platform for those who update.

SciTeach
Nov 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
Looks like :apple: is "closing the lid". I wonder how fast someone will hack the new version.

mainstreetmark
Nov 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
Before anyone starts, this is just a 0.0.x revision, so don't expect any new features like note syncing, video taking, email selecting, flash, to-do lists, sdks, mms or 3G.

I'm sure that'll all be here in time.

Ted Witcher
Nov 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
Where is landscape keyboard and the half-dozen or so universally requested tweaks? What are they working on over there?

kbrain2929
Nov 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ok... I want to see some dang flash support and SOMEHOW the ability to connect to an IP printer. That would be sweet! :apple:

marco114
Nov 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
just think how much apple is making off these hacked phones, they estimate 25 million in sales, it's in their best interest to make the patches happen slow and keep leaving holes for people to get in.

salvatorereda
Nov 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
what about the ipod touch
is there going to be a update for that!

apple needs to update a flash app and .mac mail!

CWallace
Nov 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'll stick with 1.1.1, thank you.

I have yet to AppTap my phone, but I am tired of losing ringtones every time Apple updates iTunes (at least iToner works after the first re-sync under 7.5) and iPhone update.

Laurent
Nov 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
What about iPod touch?!

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
Great I can now get more iBricks for my brick wall.

Hehe, there is always a sucker to try it after unlocking the phone.

AgingGeek
Nov 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
Where is landscape keyboard and the half-dozen or so universally requested tweaks? What are they working on over there?

Now that the intial lunch has been successfull, all the Managers at Apple have yanked back their pilfered employees to work on other projects. Budget meetings have been held to point out how high the burn rate was and how it's not sustainable. Lists have had to be made about prioritizing Steve's wishes to make sure the profit margins stay in line with analysts expectations.

What do you call 100 accountants at the bottom of the ocean?....

izzle22
Nov 8, 2007, 11:03 AM
What about iPod touch?!

Why? Two different products. Why does there always have to be an iPod touch update with the iPhone. Just wait your turn. :p

drewpage
Nov 8, 2007, 11:04 AM
I am all in favor of making my iphone more secure and adding new features, but I hope they tested this upgrade more than 1.1.1. That one was a bit bumpy.

izzle22
Nov 8, 2007, 11:07 AM
I am all in favor of making my iphone more secure and adding new features, but I hope they tested this upgrade more than 1.1.1. That one was a bit bumpy.

How has it been bumpy? I have had no problems at all, and I have 5 friends with iPhones and they have had no problems either.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
Now that the intial lunch has been successfull, all the Managers at Apple have yanked back their pilfered employees to work on other projects. Budget meetings have been held to point out how high the burn rate was and how it's not sustainable. Lists have had to be made about prioritizing Steve's wishes to make sure the profit margins stay in line with analysts expectations.

Along with 1,000,000 Lawyers a great begining.

twoodcc
Nov 8, 2007, 11:11 AM
what about nike+ support?

i think i'll wait and read the reports before installing this

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 11:14 AM
what about nike+ support?

i think i'll wait and read the reports before installing this

Darn, probably lost another brick.

lcm123
Nov 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
did anybody watch bionic woman show on nbc last night? in one scene, i saw a guy talking on his iphone, he had the iphone held up to his ear and the whole time the iphone display was lit up. that was funny :p

madmaxmedia
Nov 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
It will probably patch the TIFF exploit. This would break the hacks in the process since that's how they work, but it would provide a more secure platform for those who update.

It depends on whether the update patches the system, or does a full rewrite. Earlier updates only applied patches and thus didn't didn't 'un-jailbreak' phones IIRC. The last update rewrote the entire OS, which is equivalent to restoring your phone from scratch with standard Apple OS.

If the latest update only applies a patch that eliminates the TIFF exploit, it won't necessarily 'un-Jailbreak' a phone, since the exploit was only needed in the initial jailbreak step. Patching the exploit alone won't break hacked phones, unless Apple does other things...

But if you haven't jailbroken your phone and update, then you won't be able to jailbreak it afterwards using the current method.

jimmyroot
Nov 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hopefully buying an iPhone tomorrow, which I'm assuming will come with the 1.1.2 firmware. A month ago I would have attempted to downgrade as soon as it was possible, but now that the Official SDK isn't tooo far away I think I may end up just waiting for that.

That's if my Power User impatience doesn't get the best of me first :) .

TheSpaz
Nov 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
I hope it fixes the security hole but, I won't upgrade unless I can hack it again.

I have an iPod touch by the way.

WhiteShadow
Nov 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
since these discussions all ways go off topic and the awesome functionality we are all waiting for has yet to come it is time to request.

how about the ability to download mail attachments to the iphone, mp3s pdfs to view while off line and without re-downloading. of course this comes second to flash, note syncing, etc, etc.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
It depends on whether the update patches the system, or does a full rewrite. Earlier updates only applied patches and thus didn't didn't 'un-jailbreak' phones IIRC. The last update rewrote the entire OS, which is equivalent to restoring your phone from scratch with standard Apple OS.

If the latest update only applies a patch that eliminates the TIFF exploit, it won't necessarily 'un-Jailbreak' a phone, since the exploit was only needed in the initial jailbreak step. Patching the exploit alone won't break hacked phones, unless Apple does other things...

But if you haven't jailbroken your phone and update, then you won't be able to jailbreak it afterwards using the current method.

It is likely that they will wipe it clean, word out that it also breaks iToner.

process is sync content, wipe, reload, re-sync content as I understand.

tooshaggy
Nov 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I like my ringtones, so I will wait for andrew from ambrosia's blessing before I dare update!! Rock on iToner!!!!!!!!

Stormybot
Nov 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
I would like a copy and paste function. :)

DotComCTO
Nov 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm sure 1.1.2 will include better international language support, fix the TIFF issue and plug the holes that hackers are using to customize the device. I'm sure Apple has gone to extra lengths to break iToner as well - and that doesn't really qualify as a hack! I'm so tired of Apple breaking custom ringtones. It's beyond annoying. I'm no fan of all musical MP3 ringtones (too embarrassing in management meetings). I just like my custom sounds that I've made loud enough to hear and know that it's really my phone. Apple's default tones just stink!

:mad:

...no plans to upgrade until I see some real application updates.

--DotComCTO

suneohair
Nov 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
There is reason to believe that it will fix the negative black issue on certain models. ;)

Merlyn3D
Nov 8, 2007, 11:41 AM

Well if you used the jailbreak me method.....after apptapp gets installed the TIFF exploit is patched, providing more secure platform without having to update.

I dunno about this whole cat and mouse game thing, but after 1.1.1, I get the feeling that unless anything substantial comes between now and february, most people are just going to wait until the cat is dead. Then we'll have officially sanctioned 3rd party apps anyway so supposedly there won't be a need to jailbreak.

Apple....please don't give us a reason to need a jailbreak.

Cameront9
Nov 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
Why? Two different products. Why does there always have to be an iPod touch update with the iPhone. Just wait your turn. :p

I realize this post was in jest, but the fact is that the iPod Touch is running practically the same firmware as the iPhone. It makes complete sense that they should update both. After all, the Touch has the same TIFF exploit that they are likley patching.

studiomusic
Nov 8, 2007, 11:42 AM
just think how much apple is making off these hacked phones, they estimate 25 million in sales, it's in their best interest to make the patches happen slow and keep leaving holes for people to get in.

They would make A LOT more if every iphone was not hacked. They get revenue from user's contracts.
So they are losing revenue with every iphone hacked.

SirROM
Nov 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
did anybody watch bionic woman show on nbc last night? in one scene, i saw a guy talking on his iphone, he had the iphone held up to his ear and the whole time the iphone display was lit up. that was funny :p

Yeah, and did you also notice that he initially held it correctly, but then there was a breakaway shot and when the camera came back to him, he was holding it UPSIDE DOWN!

As to problems with 1.1.1, I have had to stop using my Bluetooth headset and turn off Bluetooth completely because even when I am NOT using the iPhone for more than 5-10 minutes total throughout the day, the battery is dead by 6pm. Yes, I charge it every night. I have had it replaced once by Apple, but the second phone is doing the same thing. I want this bug fixed in 1.1.2.

lekun
Nov 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
For us English language users, they better start tying these updates to added features, or what is the point? I can load third party apps and fix the TIFF exploit with 1.1.1. I hope the launch of Leopard and subsequent 10.5.1 release allows engineers to get back over to the iPhone development, because a lack of ToDo and Note syncing is just unacceptable. It was okay for it not to be in a 1.0 release - I understand. But this BS has gone on long enough.

MacFly123
Nov 8, 2007, 11:52 AM
What ever happened to the rumors of this post-Leopard update adding even more features than 1.1.1??? I am getting the feeling that there really won't be any features added until the second iPhone comes out... But I really hope I'm wrong.

Things like universal landscape keyboard, copy paste, etc. that haven't been added yet is really pathetic, especially with the main criticism of the typing you'd think Apple would add that, but no :(

Virgil-TB2
Nov 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
Flash support???????Never! (hopefully) :)

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hopefully there will be more than just added language support and big fixes. I mean, the language support is great for the people that speak multiple languages, but I think there are quite a few people out there who couldn't care less about it. Without a few new features I think most people will be waiting for 1.1.3 or 1.2.0 or whatever comes next. I know anyone with an unlocked phone, hacked phone, or iToner synced phone will likely hold off on an update if there are really no new features and if the update breaks all those mods.

elgruga
Nov 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
They would make A LOT more if every iphone was not hacked. They get revenue from user's contracts.

Not the case at all. Unlocked phones don't require any backup from Apple, so they actually make money without having to cover it with warranty or support.
Also, most of the unlockers have no choice - AT&T may not be for them, and of course, here in Canada, there is no choice at all.

There is a notion in our frightened world that says if its 'illegal' or 'forbidden' its wrong - I would advise anyone with a brain to examine the real purpose of most laws and rules - they are not there to make you safe or happy. They exist to make the rich richer and the poor compliant, and/or satisfy the need to control, or the need to submit and belong.

Apple is guilty of that, same as any other large corporation.

The hackers who have made it possible to run an iPhone without being tethered to any specific co. will soon bypass 1.1.2, I am sure.
They have a need to resist, and I applaud them for that.

JPark
Nov 8, 2007, 11:57 AM

Not true. Many (if not most) of the users who hacked their phones to work on different carriers would not have bought a phone if they couldn't run it on a non-at&t network.

edit: Jinx Elgruga

RidleyGriff
Nov 8, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, and did you also notice that he initially held it correctly, but then there was a breakaway shot and when the camera came back to him, he was holding it UPSIDE DOWN!

It was featured on that (not so great) show MOONLIGHT as well a couple weeks ago... every time I've seen one though, the screen is always still active, glowing on the person's face (because they're not actually calling somebody)... Perhaps I just know too much about the way the iPhone works, but that little tidbit always pulls me right out of the scene.

That, and the upside down thing, of course.

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
What ever happened to the rumors of this post-Leopard update adding even more features than 1.1.1??? I am getting the feeling that there really won't be any features added until the second iPhone comes out... But I really hope I'm wrong.

Things like universal landscape keyboard, copy paste, etc. that haven't been added yet is really pathetic, especially with the main criticism of the typing you'd think Apple would add that, but no :(

I was thinking I was the only one who remembered those rumors. What happened to all those "inside sources" that were certain of all these new features being worked on to be added after Leopard? I think it was just a bunch of BS being spread.

As far as your second statement goes, I disagree. I don't think we are done seeing new features. I think Apple is just taking their time with updates on purpose. The longer they put between updates, the more people that hack phones and the more time Apple has to break the hack. With 3rd party apps coming in Feb. I think it is stupid for them to still be focusing on the hackers. There will likely be an update needed to put third party apps on the iPhone, so they should just give it a break and wait for the hackers to update at that point in time. I think if nothing else, we will at least see an update including iChat before 3rd party apps are allowed on iPhone.

hollerz
Nov 8, 2007, 12:10 PM
Not true. Many (if not most) of the users who hacked their phones to work on different carriers would not have bought a phone if they couldn't run it on a non-at&t network.

Thats kinda the way I'm looking at it. I can't afford £35 a month on 02, so if I couldn't unlock the phone I wouldn't have bought one. So Apple have got money out of me thanks to the people writing unlocks :P

Palestrina
Nov 8, 2007, 12:10 PM
The hackers who have made it possible to run an iPhone without being tethered to any specific co. will soon bypass 1.1.2, I am sure.

You applaud them for that? You applaud the hackers who mess with their phones and then expect the world from Apple and for them to make it all better? Seeing a dude with an iBrick ranks up there with watching that speeder pulled over 10 minutes later. Maybe the hackers should bypass 1.1.2, 1.1.3, and every other update. Then while 99% of the iphone community is using and enjoying their iPhones, the hackers will still be the disgruntled minority who thinks Apple is out to get them every time they come out with a firmware update. "Oh no! What are we going to do?!" Sheesh, cry me a river and go back to your Razr.

boss1
Nov 8, 2007, 12:19 PM

Efficient? Downsizing? Less payroll next month? ... I give... whats the answer

boss1
Nov 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
Flash support???????

I hope you're being sarcastic. I would put the chances of witnessing the return of Jesus higher than flash support in a 0.0.x update primarly for the purpose of international support.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 12:31 PM

AND they are contractualy obligated to shutdown the activity to the best of their ability.

Laurent
Nov 8, 2007, 12:32 PM
Why? Two different products. Why does there always have to be an iPod touch update with the iPhone. Just wait your turn. :pMaybe because they intentionally changed the numbering of the iPhone updates to correspond to the iPod touch ones?

mrpdn
Nov 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
I will finally be able to have a piñata party!

Do not hit the panda with a stick.

1.1.1 already supports 'international' characters (ñ, á, etc.) I believe that 1.1.2 will introduce support for 'international' keyboard layouts.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
For us English language users, they better start tying these updates to added features, or what is the point? I can load third party apps and fix the TIFF exploit with 1.1.1. I hope the launch of Leopard and subsequent 10.5.1 release allows engineers to get back over to the iPhone development, because a lack of ToDo and Note syncing is just unacceptable. It was okay for it not to be in a 1.0 release - I understand. But this BS has gone on long enough.

Fixing / patching the holes is probably taking some resources as they are probably looking also for other similar issues to also patch so they are not used for the next jail break.

Those resources are not available to enhance the product with new features that were planned all along.

Since they have a contractual obligation to patch it and to lower their liability and exposure to legal action by consumers and business parthers, they have no choice but to set those people to work on that instead of enhancements.

studiomusic
Nov 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
There is a notion in our frightened world that says if its 'illegal' or 'forbidden' its wrong - I would advise anyone with a brain to examine the real purpose of most laws and rules - they are not there to make you safe or happy. They exist to make the rich richer and the poor compliant, and/or satisfy the need to control, or the need to submit and belong.

Yes, Eddie Murphy was right... Kill My Landlord.
And what's up with the speed limit, just the man keeping me down!
There are some people that do things just because they are illegal or forbidden.

I'm all for unlocking iphones (I need to do the deed in december when I go to France), just don't complain to Apple once you've done it.

Oh ya, and all those downloaded songs on P2P aren't copyright infringement because they wouldn't have bought the songs anyway - so no lost $$.:rolleyes:

My point, I guess, is I love my iphone... or something.

notsofatjames
Nov 8, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ive never understood why people are so adamant that 'they paid downright for their iPhone they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it'. That just doesnt make sense. I paid for my car, but im not allowed to drive it at a hundred miles an hour on the road. If i drove it at a hundred miles an hour my insurance wouldnt cover it since I was driving un-responsibly. Same for iPhone, if you hacked it, you shouldnt expect apple to cater for you when they update the operating system. There are fewer moans about apps that arent working with 10.5 than there are about apps that are broken when apple updates the iPhone. When you buy the iPhone, you know what you are getting, and if its not what you want, then buy something else.

alana22
Nov 8, 2007, 12:40 PM
Mine has no bugs. Safari has never crashed on me, nor has music randomly stopped while I was doing anything else on it, even using applications applied after jailbreaking.

In other words, why on Earth would I risk losing all that for language support that has no impact on me? Ah right, the good ol' mysterious "miscellaneous bugs" issue. Ie: trust us, your device is buggy, let us fix it for you (and also brick you).

No thanks. Wake me when a real update comes along.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
Not the case at all. Unlocked phones don't require any backup from Apple, so they actually make money without having to cover it with warranty or support.
Also, most of the unlockers have no choice - AT&T may not be for them, and of course, here in Canada, there is no choice at all.

Apple is guilty of that, same as any other large corporation.

Cuba is just a few miles south of Florida, this is America. This country is run by corporations for profit, that is the way it is.

Elections are coming, go vote against all the politicians in the pockect of corporations.

*** FLASH NEWS, 97% of congress was defeated.

FunkyJunk
Nov 8, 2007, 12:52 PM
Since they have a contractual obligation to patch it and to lower their liability and exposure to legal action by consumers and business parthers, they have no choice but to set those people to work on that instead of enhancements.

You should see this as a good thing. In fact, the hackers are saving Apple a lot of time and money by showing them where their product's weaknesses are. Apple's able to address these weaknesses and provide a more secure, stable product as a result.

You should view the hackers as, at worst, free security and quality assurance staff for Apple.

alana22
Nov 8, 2007, 12:59 PM
You should see this as a good thing. In fact, the hackers are saving Apple a lot of time and money by showing them where their product's weaknesses are. Apple's able to address these weaknesses and provide a more secure, stable product as a result.

You should view the hackers as, at worst, free security and quality assurance staff for Apple.

The hackers will always win. They are one of the sharpest pools of intelligence that I am aware of.

exigentsky
Nov 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
It is absurd what we cannot do with our own purchase. Currently, Apple is selling a screwdriver that zaps you every time you want to use it on a different screw than what they say you should. They need to understand that consumers won't be good sheep and let their rights slip away. The DRM fiasco where songs are owned but only so much as the company lets you has been ridiculous and painful enough. Having to buy your song twice if you use it as a ringtone fueled the flames. Making updates with the express purpose of destroying what we have found useful is bad enough. We should not tolerate more abuse and against overwhelming negative PR, Apple and AT&T will have to respect us. That the industry has always spit on its customers is no comfort to me and it is time for change.

lekun
Nov 8, 2007, 01:08 PM
Fixing / patching the holes is probably taking some resources as they are probably looking also for other similar issues to also patch so they are not used for the next jail break.

Those resources are not available to enhance the product with new features that were planned all along.

I don't know about that. The open source community - working for free - patched the TIFF exploit long ago. I don't think looking for buffer overflows is really taking that many engineering resources. Furthermore, that kind of bug squashing can easily be worked on by easily available talent.

Where resources get tight is adding features or working on complex software issues (such as iCal - Mail ToDo syncing in Leopard, which works for ***** now).

I mean this is my speculation, but the notes syncing is downright ludicrous at this point.

gkarris
Nov 8, 2007, 01:18 PM
You applaud them for that? You applaud the hackers who mess with their phones and then expect the world from Apple and for them to make it all better? Seeing a dude with an iBrick ranks up there with watching that speeder pulled over 10 minutes later. Maybe the hackers should bypass 1.1.2, 1.1.3, and every other update. Then while 99% of the iphone community is using and enjoying their iPhones, the hackers will still be the disgruntled minority who thinks Apple is out to get them every time they come out with a firmware update. "Oh no! What are we going to do?!" Sheesh, cry me a river and go back to your Razr.

Still at 1.0.2 and extremely happy! ;)

Razr's suck...

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 01:20 PM
it will out in the next 4 hours.

CaptSaltyJack
Nov 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
Japanese input support maybe?? You know, with the current firmware, on a proper web site that has Japanese encoding, you can tap a text box, and actually type in Japanese, so the whole hiragana/katakana/kanji character sets are there. They're just disabled for general use across all the iPhone apps (Mail, Notes, etc).

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
it will out in the next 4 hours.

Source please???

bushman1
Nov 8, 2007, 01:32 PM
I herd hat it my provide disk use to manul many music that would be assume that is the bigger thing I miss from my ipod. That would make hacking raise though so they prolly won't. They want. The platform looked down for fe uary, just more money for them

SirROM
Nov 8, 2007, 01:32 PM
Rather than complaining that Apple "broke my hacked iPhone," the simpler solution would be to NOT install any updates that come down the pipe. After all, if you do not apply any updates, you are indeed getting everything you paid for and can do anything you want to it. The problem is that hackers want their cake and eat it too. You can't complain that Apple is breaking your hacks and that there should be freedom to hack without interference, but at the same time then complain because you can't use the new features or security benefits of the update that Apple has devoted time and money to provide.

You can't have it both ways folks.

bushman1
Nov 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
you are right but apple shouldn't break hacked iphones they should just dellet the apps but not brick them.

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 01:39 PM
Source please???

The iPhone will start selling in Germany at Midnight, which is less than 4 hours from now.

Roy Hobbs
Nov 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
The iPhone will start selling in Germany at Midnight, which is less than 4 hours from now.

That doesn't mean they will release it then. Are you sure they dont go on sale at 6pm like everywhere else?

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 01:45 PM
That doesn't mean they will release it then. Are you sure they dont go on sale at 6pm like everywhere else?

Yes, it means it will be released by then. Can you imagine what will happen if you took back your 1.1.2 back home, open itunes and do a restore, and get 1.1.1 instead?. Actually, THAT might brick the phone.

fake edit: regarding the midnight thing, it is official according to this (http://www.tmobile.de/unternehmen/presse/pressemitteilungen/1,12219,19592-_,00.html) press release from tmobile that a couple of tpunkt shops will be opened on 9th of November 00:01.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 01:49 PM

I'm pretty sure I read that they will be released at midnight. That could mean a release for us here in the states. That would be at 6 my time here on the east coast.

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, it means it will be released by then. Can you imagine what will happen if you took back your 1.1.2 back home, open itunes and do a restore, and get 1.1.1 instead?. Actually, THAT might brick the phone.

fake edit: regarding the midnight thing, it is official according to this (http://www.tmobile.de/unternehmen/presse/pressemitteilungen/1,12219,19592-_,00.html) press release from tmobile that a couple of tpunkt shops will be opened on 9th of November 00:01.

Very interesting point about a restore. Couldn't Apple just release 1.1.2 to Germany at midnight to prevent issues and hold off on the US til tomorrow?

glennyboiwpg
Nov 8, 2007, 01:57 PM

Probably this little thing called leopard... They have some issues to worry about in an update.

I know I know... How dare apple work on software that isn't iphone related.

On a side note.... WHERE IS OUR CANADIAN IPHONE!

glennyboiwpg
Nov 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
you are right but apple shouldn't break hacked iphones they should just dellet the apps but not brick them.

Your missing the point.

Apple isn't writing software to explicitly kill 3rd party apps. They are just going marryly along and working on the iphone software. It just so happens that, that updated software doesn't work with the current 3rd party apps.

In some interview Apple said something like "We don't care if people use third party apps on the iphone, but we are not going to worry about breaking them accidently".

Peace
Nov 8, 2007, 02:03 PM
Like I've said before.
If you've hacked your iPhone Apple isn't responsible to fix it.Go ask the people that wrote the jailbreak software for a fix.They should support their own app.

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
Very interesting point about a restore. Couldn't Apple just release 1.1.2 to Germany at midnight to prevent issues and hold off on the US til tomorrow?

Why would they hold off on the US till tomorrow anyway?

donlphi
Nov 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
Previous Quote... Flash Support???

Never! (hopefully) :)

That's unfortunate. It would be nice to have as an option. Obviously there would be some benefits to being able to view flash. If you don't want it, turn that plug-in off.

Judging by the way Safari handles most pages (on the verge of crashing - aka don't touch it while it's loading), I would bet that is the reason flash player doesn't exist on Safari yet. Apple can say they are pushing web 2.0 development, but I think they just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Probably has something to do with all the resizing that happens on the iPhone.

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 02:07 PM

I don't know.... To mess with people in the US waiting for the update. lol.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 02:07 PM

Because they can.

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 02:17 PM
Because they can.

No seriously, why would they do that?. It makes more sense to me that the new firmware should be out by the time the first eu iphone starts selling.

artalliance
Nov 8, 2007, 02:20 PM
Previous Quote...

That's unfortunate. It would be nice to have as an option. Obviously there would be some benefits to being able to view flash. If you don't want it, turn that plug-in off.

Judging by the way Safari handles most pages (on the verge of crashing - aka don't touch it while it's loading), I would bet that is the reason flash player doesn't exist on Safari yet. Apple can say they are pushing web 2.0 development, but I think they just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Probably has something to do with all the resizing that happens on the iPhone.

Hasn't this been discussed a thousand times. :rolleyes:

Both Apple AND ADOBE need to get their act together here.
It's not just Apple.

emotion
Nov 8, 2007, 02:30 PM
No seriously, why would they do that?. It makes more sense to me that the new firmware should be out by the time the first eu iphone starts selling.

I agree. I'd be very surprised if, when I get up tomorrow morning that 1.1.2 isn't out.

The quicker it's out, the quicker the hackers can get to it.

I buy an iPhone tomorrow, and I'm not particularly interested in jailbreaking it but I'd love to see if it's possible.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 02:36 PM

Guys we really don't know, I am sure Apple has a calculator or two available and have done the math. Besides we do not know what other things they have and how they plan to ties them together.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 02:38 PM

I dont know, i hope they release it by 6 today, still, they dont have to...

goosnarrggh
Nov 8, 2007, 02:39 PM

For the most part, that is exactly what's happening. Most people who installed 3rd party applications are still happily using their phones post-upgrade, but they may have temporarily lost access to their apps.

The people who ended up with bricked phones, mostly, were the ones who went further and modified their low-level boot ROM as part of the process of SIM-unlocking their phones. Physically, the boot ROM is a separate NOR Flash chip which is totally distinct from the 8GB or 4GB filesystem in which OSX and all the user level applications reside. The boot ROM is the chip which contains the low-level instructions executed by the ARM CPU in the first few nanoseconds after the chip powers up and before it knows about any of the higher-level stuff like drivers to work with NAND flash.

Now think about it... Among other things, the boot ROM contains the bootloading software which is used when the rest of the phone's software is being updated. If you modify the boot ROM in ways that Apple wasn't expecting, then that bootloading software might not function the way in which it was originally intended. Therefore you may disrupt the process of updating your software, and end up with a corrupted upgrade and a useless phone.

Nothing too far-fetched or evil about that.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 02:43 PM
Ive never understood why people are so adamant that 'they paid downright for their iPhone they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it'. That just doesnt make sense. I paid for my car, but im not allowed to drive it at a hundred miles an hour on the road. If i drove it at a hundred miles an hour my insurance wouldnt cover it since I was driving un-responsibly. Same for iPhone, if you hacked it, you shouldnt expect apple to cater for you when they update the operating system. There are fewer moans about apps that arent working with 10.5 than there are about apps that are broken when apple updates the iPhone. When you buy the iPhone, you know what you are getting, and if its not what you want, then buy something else.

You are also not allowed to modify the engine and then ask for warranty repairs if it blows.

Hacking the phone is along the same line.

What get me is people that buy a normal car and then complain that is not open so they can add wings and make it fly. Something that the manufactorer never said it would do and have no plan to allow / implement and support. The auto manufactorer will void your warranty just like Apple will and refuse to service you.

That is why apple is wiping the phone first then installing, to ensure to their best that the phone is in a known state before they apply the changes.

Just like that APE that is causing all the blue screens.

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
I dont know, i hope they release it by 6 today, still, they dont have to...

I'm with you. I would like them to release it as soon as possible. I would like to know exactly what all is in the update and whether or not it breaks iToner for sure before I install it.

skoorbevad
Nov 8, 2007, 03:04 PM
Before anyone starts, this is just a 0.0.x revision, so don't expect any new features like ... or 3G.

Yeah, I also heard future software updates are going to add a larger screen, a flash to the camera, and GPS functionality. Also another button.

bilbo--baggins
Nov 8, 2007, 03:09 PM

Maybe they don't want people in the UK with iPhones imported from the USA to be able to connect and register before they officially go on sale here? Presumably after the update this would become possible.

overcast
Nov 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
You're an idiot.

bilbo--baggins
Nov 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

To me, the cost of the iPhone is rock bottom to keep sales high. It really isn't a big consideration compared to the cost of the monthly fees. Apple and the service providers loose most of their income if people use them on other networks.

Secondly, I think it is in Apple's interest for the iPhone to have a reputation of being very reliable and stable. If they in any way support hacking of iPhones they will end up being held responsible for the problems that people have when they do so. It would also lead to the exclusive carriers feeling that they're getting a bad deal, being let down by Apple.

I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow (UK launch) and I intend keeping mine totally uncontaminated with hacks or unauthorised add-ons, and I fully expect my iPhone to work without any problems.

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 04:39 PM
Maybe they don't want people in the UK with iPhones imported from the USA to be able to connect and register before they officially go on sale here? Presumably after the update this would become possible.

:confused: aaaah...what?

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 04:43 PM
18 minutes till we find out?? maybe?

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 04:48 PM

That is made possible through iTunes and the phone companies servers - it has very little if anything to do with the actual hardware's firmware.

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
18 minutes till we find out?? maybe?

4 minutes now...

Unless "Compile 'em all" guessed wrong:)

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 04:59 PM
4 minutes now...

yeah, i seriously doubt it's gonna happen, but i'm sitting here "checking for new version" like the rest of you..

better than refreshing my XP home's tracking status (it's in my city and i still won't get it till tomorrow... bastards)

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
yeah, i seriously doubt it's gonna happen, but i'm sitting here "checking for new version" like the rest of you..

better than refreshing my XP home's tracking status (it's in my city and i still won't get it till tomorrow... bastards)

Yep and its now 3:01 here ... 12:01 in Germany still no update...

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 05:02 PM
4 minutes now...

:o it is coming friends..in 3..2..1...ok, may be a few more hours :D

Fake Edit: here are some photos (http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/1-bericht-koeln-t106655.html) from the launch in Germany. I think it is a Tpunkt in Koeln.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 05:02 PM
Checked...and...NOTHING

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
:o it is coming friends..in 3..2..1...ok, may be a few more hours :D

LOL well at least it will give me something to do the rest of the day at work :D

eenu
Nov 8, 2007, 05:09 PM
1.1.2 is OFFICIAL its on the latest iPhone video on how to activate your iPhone on O2

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
1.1.2 is OFFICIAL its on the latest iPhone video on how to activate your iPhone on O2

So a new video was just released?

eenu
Nov 8, 2007, 05:12 PM
So a new video was just released?

As i just said a video has just gone on apple.com/uk showing how to activate the phone for O2 and it shows firmware 1.1.2

slffl
Nov 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'll stick with 1.1.1 thank you very much! I put windows mobile 6 on my iPhone and I like it that way!! blah blah blah

Compile 'em all
Nov 8, 2007, 05:16 PM
Apple has changed their Geman front page to "say hello to iphone" :D

http://www.apple.com/de/

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 05:18 PM
Looks like we will be waiting til tomorrow for 1.1.2.

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 05:22 PM
Looks like we will be waiting til tomorrow for 1.1.2.

my guess is midnight

Aftershock
Nov 8, 2007, 05:22 PM
Apple and the service providers loose most of their income if people use them on other networks.

We won't be getting the iPhone any time soon where I live (a couple of years at least), and Apple doesn't have an agreement with any of our carriers, so Apple lost NOTHING by me buying an iPhone and unlocking it. It earned $400 extra bucks. That being said, I'm staying away from 1.1.2 until it's hacked again. :D

sjo
Nov 8, 2007, 05:32 PM

Can we pls end this "contractual obligation" crap?

1. Apple never have stated, or even hinted, that they might have such an obligation.

2. Even if Apple had such obligation, they chose to sign the contract containing that obligation. If they got att to give them get $18/month/contract, as reported, they certainly had a say on what went into the contract.

wilderkun
Nov 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
If you hacked or unlocked your iPhone, I really hope that you don;t complain when your hacks stop working again. I am a fanboy, but if you were doing this to computer, and you warranty didnn;t cover it you would sofl. Hopefully all will wait for the hack update! PLEASe!!!
I have nothing against hacking at all, but please don't expect to get rewarded for doing something your not supposed to do.
I get very tired of all the stuff on cnn, fox etc about this.
Thanks!!
please excuse this rant, but hopefully you all will wait.
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 05:48 PM
my guess is midnight

They wouldnt release it at midnight. If it doesnt come by like 9 (at the absolute latest) itll be here for us be like 2 tomorrow. Just my guess.

TheChemist
Nov 8, 2007, 05:55 PM
WHERE IS OUR CANADIAN IPHONE!

being sold in the states. what are you waiting for?

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 05:55 PM
They wouldnt release it at midnight. If it doesnt come by like 9 (at the absolute latest) itll be here for us be like 2 tomorrow. Just my guess.

The weird thing for me is the automatic check on iTunes has always changed each day to about two weeks in the future. It's been on 11/9/07 ever since I updated to iTunes 7.5.

illitrate23
Nov 8, 2007, 06:04 PM
my guess is midnight
bad guess - would you like to try again?
:)

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 06:29 PM
Can we pls end this "contractual obligation" crap?

1. Apple never have stated, or even hinted, that they might have such an obligation.

2. Even if Apple had such obligation, they chose to sign the contract containing that obligation. If they got att to give them get $18/month/contract, as reported, they certainly had a say on what went into the contract.

Yes you bet that they made a business decision that apparently you resent.

Do you think that those 18 bucks come from AT&T out of the goodness of their heart? Or are they conditions attached to those 18 dollars?

You bet that that contract is both complex and fat (pages wise).

I guess the board of directors don't have the right to do what they think is right for Apple and it's shareholders. I wonder why the stock is doing so well then.

Do you have Apple stock??? Have you voted your shares? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Have you noticed how AT&T, T-Mobile and O2 have bend over backwards to be able to sell the iPhone?
I wonder why they think it is such a good business decision?
Apparently your resentment does not allow you to view Apple actions as plain cold business decisions and that only your point of view is right over those idiots that run the company.

lazyrighteye
Nov 8, 2007, 06:38 PM
Before anyone starts, this is just a 0.0.x revision, so don't expect any new features like note syncing, video taking, email selecting, flash, to-do lists, sdks, mms or 3G.

3G will require both a hard- & software upgrades.
AKA: a completely new iPhone.

PoitNarf
Nov 8, 2007, 06:54 PM
802.1x support maybe? Please???

Gundampilotspaz
Nov 8, 2007, 06:56 PM
Will I be able to surf the web and listen to music? Because, that's a killer feature that might force me to update.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
Will I be able to surf the web and listen to music? Because, that's a killer feature that might force me to update.

We will know very soon.

imwoblin
Nov 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
Not being a killjoy or anything, and not disrespecting our european and asian brothers and sisters, but why on earth would you want to add memory hogging language support to the iPhone if you're never going to use it? Unless there are some quantitative real fixes and maybe (c'mon Apple) a new application or two, I'll sit this one out..

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 07:02 PM
We will know very soon.

If by soon enough you mean tomorrow. I guess that is still soon, i was just hoping to get the update today =[. Not looing to be so at this point.

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 07:06 PM
If by soon enough you mean tomorrow. I guess that is still soon, i was just hoping to get the update today =[. Not looing to be so at this point.

We are closer today than yesterday, most questions will be answered shortly after people start using it.

The media is prep to report.
Get some sleep, if you can, LOL.

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 07:07 PM
Not being a killjoy or anything, and not disrespecting our european and asian brothers and sisters, but why on earth would you want to add memory hogging language support to the iPhone if you're never going to use it? Unless there are some quantitative real fixes and maybe (c'mon Apple) a new application or two, I'll sit this one out..

Because everyone knows Americans only speak English </sarcasm>

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 07:08 PM
We are closer today than yesterday, most questions will be answered shortly after people start using it.

The media is prep to report.
Get some sleep, if you can, LOL.

Our European friends will tell us all the cool (and not so cool) new features right?! :D:D

musicpenguy
Nov 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
You should know that the true way to jailbreak an iphone now is with the symlink which should work for every single update that apple pushes out unless they change the way they update their iphones - meaning they would need to clear out the media partition as well, which I don't see them doing any time soon.

So the jailbreak should come fairly fast, same exact methods as 102 to 111

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
Because everyone knows Americans only speak English </sarcasm>

What do you call someone that speaks 3 languages?
What do you call someone that skeaks two languages?
What do you call someone that speaks only one language?

Anyone?

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 07:25 PM
Our European friends will tell us all the cool (and not so cool) new features right?! :D:D

Yes, if we stop asking why Apple added multi-language support, LOL. Someone a little while ago must have pissed them off.

Yunosuke
Nov 8, 2007, 07:30 PM
What do you call someone that speaks 3 languages?
What do you call someone that skeaks two languages?
What do you call someone that speaks only one language?

Anyone?

Q.1 Multilingual.

Q.2 Bilingual

Q.3 Americans!

Quite obvious.

MattyMac
Nov 8, 2007, 07:38 PM
sweeeeeeeeeet...I like the updates :D

noooooo really...

applehappy
Nov 8, 2007, 07:39 PM
Q.1 Multilingual.

Q.2 Bilingual

Q.3 Americans!

Quite obvious.

Loser. "Quite obvious". Your incredible superiority comes through so clearly. And how many languages do you speak? And do you have any clue how many Americans speak several languages. Oh, that's right, just go with your pathetic stereotype.

suneohair
Nov 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
Loser. "Quite obvious". Your incredible superiority comes through so clearly. And how many languages do you speak? And do you have any clue how many Americans speak several languages. Oh, that's right, just go with your pathetic stereotype.

Calm down. I am American, who happens to speak 2 languages and I find that quite funny. You also should say "incredible superiority complex" as it sounds like you are saying you see his superiority and acknowledge as such, instead of condemning it as a problem.

I think what he was getting at is, on the whole we (Americans) are not pushed to know other languages. Sure, there are some who do, but the majority of Americans aren't being pressed to take a foreign language and even then, you might say "oh but a BA requires a language." Which is true most of the time, but most of them do it half ass anyway.

That isn't to say other countries aren't similar but countries like Japan and most of Europe get a more rigorous training when it comes to languages as it is shown as something important. This is also more apparent when you see that these countries generally have English as a big language to conform with us, that way we don't have to do anything.

Anyhow. Bring on the update. I was told that it may fix the negative black problem on some iPhones. Which means I can finally be happy with mine.

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
Loser. "Quite obvious". Your incredible superiority comes through so clearly.

The problem is the National Association for Bilingual Education reports that 9% of Americans are bilingual. That compares with 50% of European citizens are bilingual. So there is quite a bit of truth in that. (and BTW Im American and Speak 4 languages)

http://www.answers.com/topic/bilingualism-bilingual-education?cat=health

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
bad guess - would you like to try again?

3 hours until you prove me wrong.

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:10 PM
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-4037.20071107.5Bghn/iPhone1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-3992.20071107.3Fvgd/iPhoneDocumentation_1.1.2.ipd

Happy updating!

EagerDragon
Nov 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
The problem is the National Association for Bilingual Education reports that 9% of Americans are bilingual. That compares with 50% of European citizens are bilingual. So there is quite a bit of truth in that. (and BTW Im American and Speak 4 languages)

LOL, quite nice stats, now back to the iBrick ... Sorry IPhone.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
But Daddddddddddy I Want It Nowwwwwwwwww.

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
if you go File>Check for updates....

the date changes to 11/15

haha!

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:20 PM
Size of the 1.1.1 firmware: Length: 159,668,150 (152M)

Size of the 1.1.2 firmware: Length: 167,927,501 (160M)

Enjoy!

Bernie-Mac
Nov 8, 2007, 08:22 PM
Guys they said they would release it Friday in the States...they arent going to release it anytime tonight no matter when it was released in Germany, have patience

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:22 PM
Size of the 1.1.1 firmware: Length: 159,668,150 (152M)

Size of the 1.1.2 firmware: Length: 167,927,501 (160M)

Enjoy!

How do you know the 1.1.2 size?

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:23 PM
How do you know the 1.1.2 size?

I downloaded it.

MrT8064
Nov 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
i wonder if this will break unlocked 1.1.1 iPhones, or just not allow virgin 1.1.2 iPhones to be unlocked

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
Guys they said they would release it Friday in the States...they arent going to release it anytime tonight no matter when it was released in Germany, have patience

you forget iTunes is a record store... open 24 hours in whichever country.
New releases come out on Tuesdays... they go on sale at Midnight.
Germany got their firmware at midnight Deutschland time, England midnight their time.

Midnight, is technically the next day.

like I said before 3 hours until i am proven wrong.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:29 PM
I downloaded it.

From where? Is it on your phone? or did you just download it? That was pretty quick if its from someone in Europe.

MrT8064
Nov 8, 2007, 08:30 PM
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-4037.20071107.5Bghn/iPhone1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:31 PM
From where? Is it on your phone? or did you just download it? That was pretty quick if its from someone in Europe.

From Apple. It's not on my phone yet, I'm just holding the .ipsw file.

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:31 PM

Yup. They updated their XML file about an hour ago.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:32 PM
From Apple. It's not on my phone yet, I'm just holding the .ipsw file.

Anything new that you can read from the files?

AmpCoder
Nov 8, 2007, 08:34 PM
Running 1.1.2 on my iPhone now. Thanks for the links!

nickms666
Nov 8, 2007, 08:35 PM
How do you open/read the .ipd file?

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:35 PM
From the ReadMe file in 1.1.2:

iPhone Software
Version 1.1.2

This version of the software includes additional new features, bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions.

For feature descriptions and complete instructions, see the users guide for your iPhone at:
http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/iphone

For more information about iPhone, go to:
http://www.apple.com/iphone

To troubleshoot your iPhone, or to view additional support information go to:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website:
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

chr1s60
Nov 8, 2007, 08:38 PM

Just to be fair, it should be noted that Europe is 48 countries and they are comparing a continent of people to a single country. Many of the countries in Europe are not very big so it would make much more sense for a european to speak multiple languages if they travel at all. America is a big country and is only bordered by two others, one of which some of the people speak only English. A better comparison would be North Americans and Europeans.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:38 PM
Running 1.1.2 on my iPhone now. Thanks for the links!

How do you install that onto your phone?!?!

AmpCoder
Nov 8, 2007, 08:40 PM
Download that file and then go into iTunes and press Alt (Option) and click on Restore. Then select the file you just downloaded and that will restore 1.1.2 onto your phone.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:44 PM
Download that file and then go into iTunes and press Alt (Option) and click on Restore. Then select the file you just downloaded and that will restore 1.1.2 onto your phone.

Which file? the restore .plist?

AmpCoder
Nov 8, 2007, 08:48 PM
The ipsw file that was posted earlier.

pfish
Which file? the restore .plist?

The entire .ipsw -- if you're not familiar with the process I highly recommend you wait until its available via iTunes.

Telp
The ipsw file that was posted earlier.

The whole folder? You cant do the whole folder can you? did i miss that? Is it working ok on your phone?

bushman1
Nov 8, 2007, 08:49 PM
dose it break iNdepence or not. and what dose it provide.

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 08:52 PM
Whats new with it? Anything exciting? or just what was rumored to everyone.

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 08:53 PM
The whole folder? You cant do the whole folder can you? did i miss that? Is it working ok on your phone?

Select the Zip file that was downloaded - iTunes will extract it. (updating mine now... :) )

AmpCoder
Nov 8, 2007, 08:54 PM

Works just fine with my iPhone. Haven't noticed any problems at all.

AmpCoder
Nov 8, 2007, 08:55 PM

Nothing looks different at all to me. Well, other than the battery icon that now shows up in iTunes.

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
Ditto. Haven't noticed anything myself. I've had it running for about an hour or two now.

sblasl
Nov 8, 2007, 08:59 PM
Any iToner users tried it yet?

NYCphone
Nov 8, 2007, 09:00 PM
Is the iPod (while browsing with Safari) more stable under 1.1.2?

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 09:00 PM

Just finished restoring... one quick thing it says to plug it in to be activated in like 5 languages and flashes through them...

walnuts
Nov 8, 2007, 09:01 PM
Which languages are included?

suneohair
Nov 8, 2007, 09:02 PM
The download is going very very slow. I hope there is Japanese!!!

AmpCoder
Nov 8, 2007, 09:03 PM
Just finished restoring... one quick thing it says to plug it in to be activated in like 5 languages and flashes through them...

Yeah, that happened to me, too. I got kind of worried at first, but it turned out fine.

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 09:03 PM
Which languages are included?

English
Français
Deutsch
Italiano

and Keyboards:

English
English (UK)
French
German
Italian

walnuts
Nov 8, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks- I was hoping for Dutch...

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
This is a first...I'm syncing some audio to it and I'm able to do stuff in the background. Not locked into that "Syncing" - "Slide to cancel" menu....

walnuts
Nov 8, 2007, 09:10 PM
This is a first...I'm syncing some audio to it and I'm able to do stuff in the background. Not locked into that "Syncing" - "Slide to cancel" menu....

I've done a sync before while on the phone- it had the person's picture and the phone menu, but it said "sync in progress"

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 09:11 PM

I was able to re-sync my iToner ringtones without any problems.

Bernie-Mac
Nov 8, 2007, 09:12 PM
anyone with a jailbroken one tried it yet?

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 09:14 PM
ok, so i tried to zip back up the folder and restore with
that, then i got this weird connect to iTunes screen on here...

iTunes then said my phone was in restore mode (which it was having done the alt+click trick) and had to be restored from the "latest software"

i am now downloading 1.1.2 _in iTunes_ and will restore from that.
word to backups

so, if you're anxious, alt_click restore on a bunk .zip file and it will failsafe restore to latest firmware by default

use extreme caution and balls!

FreeState
Nov 8, 2007, 09:14 PM
Self edit... opps I was wrong:) all the backgrounds are the same

tethead
Nov 8, 2007, 09:24 PM

that's what i want to know. i've never had the need to jailbreak, but before i head to the UK for the next week, i want to make sure that i have my good ringtones with me at least!

so have any iToner users tried it out? please let this not be broken...

colonels1020
Nov 8, 2007, 09:24 PM
If it was made by man, it can be hacked by man. :)

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 09:26 PM
that's what i want to know. i've never had the need to jailbreak, but before i head to the UK for the next week, i want to make sure that i have my good ringtones with me at least!

so have any iToner users tried it out? please let this not be broken...

See post #117 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4465985&postcount=177) above

coorspate
Nov 8, 2007, 09:29 PM
If it was made by man, it can be hacked by man. :)

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!:D

and a bababooey to you sir

tethead
Nov 8, 2007, 09:31 PM
See post #117 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4465985&postcount=177) above

ah, thank you sir!

while i do feel bad for the broken jailbreak (according to Engadget, at least), the ability to use iToner makes me very happy!:D

pfish
Nov 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
New modem firmware: 04.02.13_G

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 09:40 PM
So what happens tomorrow? What if the update is different (obviously not too different). Will you be able to update? Or if its different do you have to download and restore the same we users did for this downloaded version of the 1.1.2 firmware. Anyone? Anyone?

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 09:42 PM
So what happens tomorrow? What if the update is different (obviously not too different). Will you be able to update? Or if its different do you have to download and restore the same we users did for this downloaded version of the 1.1.2 firmware. Anyone? Anyone?

I'm kinda curious about this too because my version in Settings says something like 1.1.2 (3B48b)

EDIT: ok that IS the new firmware, not a beta

word!

Telp
Nov 8, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm kinda curious about this too because my version in Settings says something like 1.1.2 (3B48b)

EDIT: ok that IS the new firmware, not a beta

word!

How do you know that for a fact?

Babasyzygy
Nov 8, 2007, 10:30 PM
Q.1 Multilingual.

Q.2 Bilingual

Q.3 Americans!

Quite obvious.

Leave it to the multilingual to make being unable to agree upon a single standard out as being an advantage :)

(I'm actually bilingual, but I do think that having 300 million people living next to one another speaking the same language is an advantage, not a disadvantage)

Also, when I told this joke in Australia I was told that Q3. could also be "Australians."

tricil
Nov 8, 2007, 10:30 PM
How do you know that for a fact?

i do not know, but if you look at the other thread, it's the same numbers

DaftUnion
Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ooooh, the excitement:rolleyes: Until they have an update that will actually add more functionality, forget it.

applehappy
Nov 8, 2007, 11:45 PM

congrats! You and the other loser can get together and define what we all require as Americans in order to make you happy. I suppose you feel that more diversity in languages equates to more understanding of diversity itself or just that it indicates intellect? What unfounded garbage. Some loser in Germany speaks a border language that is relevant to him and of course English and you think what, he's a better person? He's meeting his needs loser. Go hate Americana somewhere else.

delage
Nov 9, 2007, 04:25 AM
Hi everybody, as we'd like to buy few iph pieces in a nyc applestore before we leave us , we'd like to know if you think appl already sells embedded 1.1.2 iph in their stores , for example , for serials (box) beetween xxx 39 xxxx and xxx 44 xxxx ? would it be possible to check the box before paying/buying in order to be sure we get an old version, for sure not to buy a 1.1.2 . thanks Alex :rolleyes:

goosnarrggh
Nov 9, 2007, 05:38 AM
congrats! You and the other loser can get together and define what we all require as Americans in order to make you happy. I suppose you feel that more diversity in languages equates to more understanding of diversity itself or just that it indicates intellect? What unfounded garbage. Some loser in Germany speaks a border language that is relevant to him and of course English and you think what, he's a better person? He's meeting his needs loser. Go hate Americana somewhere else.

My God, it's a JOKE! As in, not meant to be taken seriously.
Get over it.

imacdaddy
Nov 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
Found this new package in the installer.app on my iPhone called OktoPrep? Any ideas?

pacohaas
Nov 9, 2007, 09:30 AM
Found this new package in the installer.app on my iPhone called OktoPrep? Any ideas?

yeah, it's for use with touchfree(obviously), but they don't have any info on their site yet: http://www.slovix.com/touchfree/

tliszt
Nov 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
Well, it's nearing the end of day Fri, Nov 9th, and still no iPod firmware update via iTunes.

All this reporting seems to have been less than accurate...

megfilmworks
Nov 9, 2007, 08:49 PM
Just a comment on the multi lingual argument. As an American I am embarrassed by the lack of education in my country. At all levels.
It used to be a requirement when I was in high school that you complete four years of one foreign language and two years of another. By the time you graduated from school you were at the very least bilingual. In Europe, you learn your native language and English, and usually several more. I hate to admit it, but the Europeans and British are just better educated.

tliszt
Nov 10, 2007, 01:28 AM
So much for the rumors.

Fri, Nov 9th is now over, and there is NO update via iTunes for the iPhone.

emotion
Nov 10, 2007, 01:47 AM
So much for the rumors.

Fri, Nov 9th is now over, and there is NO update via iTunes for the iPhone.

Yes, but it is downloadable, so what's the problem?