PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple’s control issues hurt the company?

MacBytes
Nov 8, 2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Will Apple’s control issues hurt the company? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071108170328)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

BenRoethig
Nov 8, 2007, 05:28 PM
They already have and will continue to as long as Jobs is CEO.

cal6n
Nov 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
I don't think they're hurting the company.

The user experience, on the other hand, is starting to suffer.

Master Atrus
Nov 8, 2007, 05:49 PM
I think that times are showing that Apple just can't keep up now that is becoming a bigger player. I love their products and what they have to offer, but as you get bigger you start needing support of other companies ... I think Apple still needs to learn that ...

Sayer
Nov 8, 2007, 05:53 PM
Ahh. Another negative MSM article attacking a successful company in the name of the non-starter competitors that can't give their crap away because Apple locks up markets with products people actually DO want.

Cry me a river.

eme jota ce
Nov 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
regarding iPhone, Yes.
regarding iTunes, probably.

for iPod, in-house software, and Macs, it's working well.

yetanotherdave
Nov 8, 2007, 05:56 PM
Lost me on the first paragraph

alienating a helpless Hollywood.
puhlease.

Sony Electronics (SNE) President Stan Glasgow alluded to Apple’s strong-willed reputation earlier on Monday, when in a conversation with reporters he contrasted Apple’s tactics with Sony’s recent openness with its Walkman media players...."Apple’s fully proprietary in almost everything they do"
betamax? sony DRM, memory stick? UMD? And their CD's? You know, the CS's that you can't play on any computer without sony's media player, that you can't rip MP3's from to put on your MP3 player? That Sony? Ok, yes, they know about openness.

Even software giant Microsoft (MSFT), a company known for breaking into markets by forming powerful technology partnerships

That's a very generous way of putting it...

jicon
Nov 8, 2007, 06:00 PM
Comment on the article:

"Not only Memory Stick…

Apple invented FireWire and allowed manufactures to use this “proprietary” connection under the IEEE 1394 standard and go around the FireWire licence.

Who was it that renamed that standard as “i.Link” and I’m sure charges manufactures to use that name?

Posted By JE : November 8, 2007 5:17 pm "

Yeah, lets get a few things straight here:

"FireWire" requires a license fee to Apple, and at one point was significantly more than Intel's USB, is far more power hungry, thus dropped by many PC manufacturers. Call it IEE1394, and slightly less of a fee, but still was more than USB for quite some time... I think it now requires a 25 cent license fee to Apple.

"iLink" is Sony's version, but it NOT IEEE1394 or FireWire. It doesn't carry a power requirement, and if manufacturers don't label it "iLink", there is no license fee to Sony.

decadentdave
Nov 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
NBC is greedy and just wants a bigger cut of the pie. Jobs and Apple are leading the way into digital content delivery where other companies have failed, Apple has found its niche and has hit its stride. The MPAA and the RIAA need to get on board with a new paradigm for their business models if they are going to thrive under the new millenium of high tech digital media. Jobs and Apple want to sell more ipods, no question about it, but they are also smart enough to know their buyers only expect to pay so much for legal downloads. Who is going to pay $5 per song under the NBC business model? Jobs knows what is fair. They can sell more legal downloads and ipods. NBC will only stoke piracy.

BLUELION
Nov 8, 2007, 06:08 PM
What we have here is a bunch of whinny bunch of greedy companies led by similarly labeled CEO's. Apple has been a player for many years and has formed many alliances to help propel it forward.

Apple has worked and will continue to work with others, the question really should be directed at Sony BMG, and the others who have proven to be the true bullies on the block as they "tag-team" to beat the crap the single lone apple.

solvs
Nov 8, 2007, 06:13 PM
It hasn't hurt them in the recent past. So long as they don't go back to the way it was before Steve came back, I'm sure it will be fine. I don't always agree with everything he does, but it seems to be working. Unlike what everyone else is trying to do, which for some reason the media seems to want Apple to do.

decadentdave
Nov 8, 2007, 06:16 PM
What we have here is a bunch of whinny bunch of greedy companies led by similarly labeled CEO's. Apple has been a player for many years and has formed many alliances to help propel it forward.

Apple has worked and will continue to work with others, the question really should be directed at Sony BMG, and the others who have proven to be the true bullies on the block as they "tag-team" to beat the crap the single lone apple.

And that is exactly what we are seeing by all of the dissension against Apple. These companies are showing their true greedy capitalist colors by encouraging other companies to turn against Apple in an effort to make them conform to their way of thinking. That's why Apple's motto is "Think different." :apple:

IJ Reilly
Nov 8, 2007, 06:27 PM
Microsoft has a reputation as a good partner? On what planet? They've stabbed more of their "friends" in the back than Marcus Brutus.

This article is full of laughers like that.

decadentdave
Nov 8, 2007, 06:33 PM
Microsoft has a reputation as a good partner? On what planet? They've stabbed more of their "friends" in the back than Marcus Brutus.

This article is full of laughers like that.

Bill Gates=Marcus Brutus

Who can forget that Brutus and Microsoft stole their OS from Apple.

JNB
Nov 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
For those that have been keeping score since 1976, Steve and Apple (at least as long as he's had the say-so) aren't doing anything different(ly) than they did 31 years ago.

As it's paying off in a big way over the last five of those years, now pundits are actually paying attention and claiming it's somehow a flawed model.

Bollocks, I say.

IJ Reilly
Nov 8, 2007, 07:23 PM
For those that have been keeping score since 1976, Steve and Apple (at least as long as he's had the say-so) aren't doing anything different(ly) than they did 31 years ago.

As it's paying off in a big way over the last five of those years, now pundits are actually paying attention and claiming it's somehow a flawed model.

Bollocks, I say.

Right. And the irony is, the model they habitually point out as being so very different isn't so different at all. Microsoft isn't what they are today (fill in blank) because they're generous folks who play well with others. They are where they are today because Bill Gates is a maniacal control freak of the first order who'd just a soon lift your wallet as shake your hand.

I mean, how soon we forget, assuming we ever knew.

ryannel2003
Nov 8, 2007, 07:43 PM
Apple's quality control issues are very similar to what Toyota is dealing with right now. The bigger the both of the companies get, the harder it is to focus more and more on smaller quantities of products which leads to some failure. The V6 Camry has had huge transmission problems (known as tranny flare), 20 or so camshafts have failed in th new 5.7L V8 version of the Tundra, and the Lexus GS300 AWD has had problems with it's electronic systems. As for Apple, the MacBook Pro's have screen issues, iMac's are plagued with freezing, and some of the new MacBook's seem to have keyboard issues. I love both companies, and will continue to purchase products to both, but they need to straighten out this kinks.

JNB
Nov 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
I mean, how soon we forget, assuming we ever knew.

Ex-freaking-actly.

And thank you very much to CNN, USAToday, ET, and all the other "Flavor of the Minute" outlets for engendering this condition.

The reason that 40 is the new 20 is because until that age, most have no sense of history or perspective beyond their last Happy Meal.

And people wonder why I get so cranky.

decadentdave
Nov 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
Happy Meals, I remember those. Those were some good times. :)

jericho53
Nov 8, 2007, 09:35 PM
Short Answer: NO. Long Answer: Maybe with iTunes.

mr.666
Nov 9, 2007, 09:18 AM
Lost me on the first paragraph

puhlease.

betamax? sony DRM, memory stick? UMD? And their CD's? You know, the CS's that you can't play on any computer without sony's media player, that you can't rip MP3's from to put on your MP3 player? That Sony? Ok, yes, they know about openness.

That's a very generous way of putting it...

^^^^ everyone read this again... SPOT ON!!!!

Mindflux
Nov 9, 2007, 09:38 AM
^^^^ everyone read this again... SPOT ON!!!!

He forgot minidisc.
:D

IJ Reilly
Nov 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
Ex-freaking-actly.

And thank you very much to CNN, USAToday, ET, and all the other "Flavor of the Minute" outlets for engendering this condition.

The reason that 40 is the new 20 is because until that age, most have no sense of history or perspective beyond their last Happy Meal.

And people wonder why I get so cranky.

You can join me in the curmudgeon corner. I get seriously annoyed when journalists who don't know ask industry analysts who don't know.

MacAerfen
Nov 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
Anyone who is surprised that Apple is getting beat on by the media is really missing the point. Of course the other large companies are trying to make Apple look bad. When any company is getting larger and more successful without playing the party line it scares the other companies something fierce. Every time Apple succeeds its a blinding spotlight on their own shortcomings and bad practices.

Apple says $.99 is enough for a song and $1.99 is enough for video. Apple knows thats icing on the cake the media companies are already getting in commercial advertising, dvd sales and other marketting outlets. Their insistence that there is enough money to share makes the big companies upset because it makes them look greedy.

Until Apple conforms to the party line of the big businesses they will be the brunt of attacks. As a consumer it is my hope that Apple does not. I think the consumers who are tired of big companies trying to control prices by using the buddy system to control competition should send a message to the news industry and turn off the channel, not buy the paper or magazine that is writing this kind of sponsored dribble.

"Research: Will Apple's Control Issues Hurt the Company? -Sponsored by Microsoft and NBC, more news at 11."

SPUY767
Nov 10, 2007, 07:34 AM
NBC is greedy and just wants a bigger cut of the pie. Jobs and Apple are leading the way into digital content delivery where other companies have failed, Apple has found its niche and has hit its stride. The MPAA and the RIAA need to get on board with a new paradigm for their business models if they are going to thrive under the new millenium of high tech digital media. Jobs and Apple want to sell more ipods, no question about it, but they are also smart enough to know their buyers only expect to pay so much for legal downloads. Who is going to pay $5 per song under the NBC business model? Jobs knows what is fair. They can sell more legal downloads and ipods. NBC will only stoke piracy.

Yeah, more power hungry and far faster. I have a WD MyBook 1TB external drive. I connect it in USB 2.0 Mode, I get about 11 MB/Sec sustained transfer speed. I connect it via firewire 400, I get about 35 MB/Sec. Firewire 800? Over 60MB/sec. Not to mention that we'd probably still be using PS2 mice if apple had never made UBS a standard.

hagjohn
Nov 10, 2007, 05:46 PM
You could subsitute any company and the product and it would fit just about any company in the world.

solvs
Nov 11, 2007, 03:57 AM
I get seriously annoyed when journalists who don't know ask industry analysts who don't know.

What else are they going to do? Research the work themselves? Yeah, I'd like to see that happen.