PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro - harddrive, superdrive question

whistler222
Nov 8, 2007, 05:27 PM
Currently using a macbook, and hoping to get a mac pro once the update happens. I have 2 questions.

1. Can i buy the stock HD that comes with the Mac Pro, and upgrade other ones myself? (what kind of Harddrive does the bay take?)
or if i want more storage, i HAVE to buy the ones that apple gives me?
I know i can upgrade RAM elsewhere, but what about HD?

further, does the additional HDs show up as separate drives in finder?

2. Superdrive, i see you can get 2 superdrives installed. Can I run Handbrake and burn 2 dvds at one time? How is this done? do i open handbrake up twice? or is this not possible?
If not, what's the point of having 2 superdrives at all?

Thanks!

gojaromeiginla
Nov 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
The maximum amount of space you can have in your Mac is 3 TB. As far as I know, the hard drives show up separately. As far as the superdrives, you would have 2 drives to copy a DVD or CD without interfering with your hard drive.

termina3
Nov 8, 2007, 06:04 PM
1. Can i buy the stock HD that comes with the Mac Pro, and upgrade other ones myself? (what kind of Harddrive does the bay take?)
or if i want more storage, i HAVE to buy the ones that apple gives me?
I know i can upgrade RAM elsewhere, but what about HD?

further, does the additional HDs show up as separate drives in finder?

2. Superdrive, i see you can get 2 superdrives installed. Can I run Handbrake and burn 2 dvds at one time?

You can upgrade all of the HDDs by simply mounting a SATA drive to the rail (screws already included) and sliding it in. That simple. The drive will need to be partitioned and will appear as a separate disk, of course you could set it up in a JBOD software RAID (the software RAID is part of OS X). Or a RAID 1, RAID 0.

I don't know specifically about handbrake, but I do believe you can burn two discs at once. I don't have experience to back this up.

whistler222
Nov 8, 2007, 06:09 PM
Thank you!

anyone with specific Handbrake experience on burning 2 dvds at once?

i suppose you can watch one, and burn one.. but how about burning two at a time.

also, if you can just buy a HD and slide it in, whe the heck is the apple option SO expensive?
(same goes for RAM upgrade>>!??)

termina3
Nov 8, 2007, 06:12 PM
also, if you can just buy a HD and slide it in, whe the heck is the apple option SO expensive?

Because it's from Apple. It has that brand confidence and AppleCare–if YOUR RAM doesn't work, AppleCare won't do jack.

It's worth saving $1000 and forgoing the applecare in my opinion...

JesterJJZ
Nov 8, 2007, 06:15 PM

I guess they justify it by them actually installing for you and making sure it works right. Remember, some people are inexperienced or afraid of doing stuff like that themselves.

goldenlotus
Nov 8, 2007, 06:23 PM
Installing additional hardrives in the mac pro is really easy, there are no wires to attach. You just screw the drive to one of the sleds and slide it in place. It's as easy as installing ram.

Each drive shows up with it's own icon in the finder, just like external drives.

wentwj
Nov 8, 2007, 09:41 PM
Because it's from Apple. It has that brand confidence and AppleCare–if YOUR RAM doesn't work, AppleCare won't do jack.

In addition its how they make a good portion of their money. For all the complaining that seems to happen the Mac Pro in generally is priced very competitively (less so at the moment with the recent price drop in the Xeons and the upgrade imminent). However the BTO options are often a major rip off, so they certainly make their margin there.

trainguy77
Nov 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
I would not get two superdrives stock. They would run on the same bus, which they max out if your using them at the same time. The best option would be buy a after market SATA dvd drive. Then cable it into one of the extra sata ports on the motherboard.

pbkiller
Nov 9, 2007, 07:07 AM
To answer the fellow question, i have tried burning 2 discs at once (1 using Toast the other using Disco) and it has performed FLAWLESSLY. Almost every day i use on the top Bay the Pioneer that came stock to rip and encode movies in handbreak, while my second drd drive bay ( hp ) burns in Popcorn. And i even have the stock 1GB.

Just my 2 centavos....

Rob

trainguy77
Nov 9, 2007, 09:02 AM
To answer the fellow question, i have tried burning 2 discs at once (1 using Toast the other using Disco) and it has performed FLAWLESSLY. Almost every day i use on the top Bay the Pioneer that came stock to rip and encode movies in handbreak, while my second drd drive bay ( hp ) burns in Popcorn. And i even have the stock 1GB.

Just my 2 centavos....

Rob

Yeah i knew it would run...it will just be slower. If you compare those times to the time to burn a single disk.

gojaromeiginla
Nov 9, 2007, 11:54 AM
Well, if you had to rip/burn two discs, it would take less time to rip/burn the at the same time rather than one after the other.

Cromulent
Nov 9, 2007, 12:55 PM
The maximum amount of space you can have in your Mac is 3 TB. As far as I know, the hard drives show up separately. As far as the superdrives, you would have 2 drives to copy a DVD or CD without interfering with your hard drive.

Actually it is 4TBs. 4 x 1TB drives. In fact there is a tutorial floating around to get a fifth drive installed so you could have 5TBs.

gojaromeiginla
Nov 9, 2007, 11:23 PM
Well, the standard maximum is 3 TB. You don't really need any more than that to be completely honest.

trainguy77
Nov 10, 2007, 12:43 AM
Well, the standard maximum is 3 TB. You don't really need any more than that to be completely honest.

Depends what you do with your computer. And yes if you order from apple the max is 3 TB. But 4 TB is supported without mods apple just doesn't sell it.

gojaromeiginla
Nov 10, 2007, 04:07 AM
Depends what you do with your computer. And yes if you order from apple the max is 3 TB. But 4 TB is supported without mods apple just doesn't sell it.

Even if you do a lot with video, 4 TB won't really make much difference compared to 3 TB. It's still an insane amount of space. However, if you absolutely require 4 TB, by all means, go for it. Still, I'd say it's much easier to just order 3 TB from Mac.

disconap
Nov 10, 2007, 05:01 AM
You've never worked on a full-length film. I watched about 35TB of raw film being cut up on a system at a friend's for a movie I was helping score...

termina3
Nov 10, 2007, 07:55 AM
Still, I'd say it's much easier to just order 3 TB from Mac.

Ordering HDDs and RAM from Apple is obnoxiously expensive. Never, never, never, never order hard drives or RAM from Apple unless absolutely necessary.

OllyW
Nov 10, 2007, 08:02 AM

You can still have AppleCare if you upgrade the RAM and hard drives yourself.

It just won't apply to any of the parts you have added, the Mac itself will be fully covered.

termina3
Nov 10, 2007, 11:00 AM
It just won't apply to any of the parts you have added, the Mac itself will be fully covered.

Yes... that's what I meant when I said "YOUR ram"

gojaromeiginla
Nov 10, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ordering HDDs and RAM from Apple is obnoxiously expensive. Never, never, never, never order hard drives or RAM from Apple unless absolutely necessary.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I meant you should probably order the 3 TB with the computer, so you'll have the 3 TB when you get it. That's probably the best route for most consumers.

termina3
Nov 10, 2007, 01:44 PM
That's probably the best route for most consumers.

Absolutely.

For those of us who enjoy to spend money elsewhere, we decide to step above the consumer level ;)

Cromulent
Nov 10, 2007, 02:28 PM

Well you may not need it. But I know of people who could quite easily fill three times that much space. If not more.

gojaromeiginla
Nov 10, 2007, 05:28 PM
That's for people who do heavy duty video editing or something like that. But your average person who would need a Mac Pro won't need more than 3 TB, probably less.

disconap
Nov 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
There's the point, though. Your average person doesn't need a Mac Pro.

bigbossbmb
Nov 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I meant you should probably order the 3 TB with the computer, so you'll have the 3 TB when you get it. That's probably the best route for most consumers.

"most consumers" shouldn't be buying a Mac Pro in the first place. It is total overkill and they will never use the expandability. People that actually use Mac Pros will already have HDs to throw in there or will order them from newegg or wherever when they buy the Mac Pro from Apple. The mentality of paying (a lot) more just so that it ships from apple with it installed is ridiculous for people that need Mac Pros.

If you order from Newegg, you'll get your HDs on or before the day that you'd get the Mac Pro (using standard shipping).

sblasl
Nov 10, 2007, 07:24 PM
Purchase the Mac Pro with the "stock" ram. You should always buy additional RAM from a third party as most of those places offer a Lifetime Advance Replacement. Apple's RAM will only be warranted for the duration of the warranty that you have on the system.

You can still have AppleCare if you upgrade the RAM and hard drives yourself.

Yes... that's what I meant when I said "YOUR ram"

gojaromeiginla
Nov 10, 2007, 10:12 PM
"most consumers" shouldn't be buying a Mac Pro in the first place. It is total overkill and they will never use the expandability. People that actually use Mac Pros will already have HDs to throw in there or will order them from newegg or wherever when they buy the Mac Pro from Apple. The mentality of paying (a lot) more just so that it ships from apple with it installed is ridiculous for people that need Mac Pros.

If you order from Newegg, you'll get your HDs on or before the day that you'd get the Mac Pro (using standard shipping).

Well, if there's a Tetrabyte hard drive that I can order, then by all means, I'll order one of those. Otherwise, I'll stick to the 3 TB that Apple provides.

trainguy77
Nov 11, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well, if there's a Tetrabyte hard drive that I can order, then by all means, I'll order one of those. Otherwise, I'll stick to the 3 TB that Apple provides.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145143
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

Just a couple options.

bigbossbmb
Nov 11, 2007, 03:55 AM
that western digital "green power" drive is looking pretty darn good at 279 for 1TB.

gojaromeiginla
Nov 11, 2007, 04:20 AM
Tetrabyte. Not terabyte. As in, 1000 terabytes. I know they're out there, cause a friend of mine just got a 2 tetrabyte external hard drive.

takao
Nov 11, 2007, 05:19 AM
Tetrabyte. Not terabyte. As in, 1000 terabytes. I know they're out there, cause a friend of mine just got a 2 tetrabyte external hard drive.

1000 terabyte are a 1 petabyte
next is exabyte, zettabyte and yottabyte (my personal favourite)

tetrabyte isn't SI conform

termina3
Nov 11, 2007, 12:49 PM
tetrabyte isn't SI conform

SI conform?

gojaromeiginla
Nov 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
Must've been a Petabyte then, cause I trust this guy, and he said it was 2000 terabytes. Still, he called it a tetrabyte.

trainguy77
Nov 11, 2007, 09:09 PM
Must've been a Petabyte then, cause I trust this guy, and he said it was 2000 terabytes. Still, he called it a tetrabyte.

Your kidding right?

termina3
Nov 11, 2007, 09:28 PM

Does this external hard drive contain, oh, about 2000 hard drives and consume a room?

Sorry, there isn't a hard drive on the market that is above 1 terabyte right now. Please don't post again until you have a better understanding of current technology (or is your problem terminology?).

gojaromeiginla
Nov 12, 2007, 03:14 AM
I'm not kidding that this guy told me he had a hard drive that was 2000 TB. And I'm not kidding when I say I trust him either. He's a graphic designer and does video editing and random work with computers. He just probably didn't have his facts straight. Sorry for any unnecessary trouble I caused.

Karpfish
Nov 12, 2007, 09:50 AM
He must have meant/said 2000GB. You could have 2 1TB drives in an enclosure. Anyway, the seagate drive is the best on the market right now. Fastest high capacity drive, probably even faster than Raptors. The WD drive has a good price but it is a 5400-7200 RPM drive, so its not going to be nearly as fast.

Michael73
Nov 12, 2007, 10:13 AM
Couple of things...

I'm jonesing for the 1T drives right now but that's not the sweet spot (at least not yet). The place to be are 500GB internal SATA drives that if you keep your eyes open can be had for under $100. IMHO with 750's at ~$179 and 1T's at ~$249 the premiums are too high unless you absolutely need it.

To answer the original post, I got my MP with a single 500GB last Sept and have since added 3, 500s as they've come down in price.

Also, I got my MP with a single super drive and then went to pricewatch.com and found a Pioneer DVR-111D (same model as first super drive) for ~$29.99. I'm constantly using them to rip from one drive while simultaneously buring out on the second or buring 2 discs at once. I use Toast 7 to get the job done.

BTW, the easiest way to get 2 instance of an app running (e.g. Toast) to utilize both drives is to highlight the App and click CTRL-D then in the preferences set one instance to use the lower drive and one to use the upper drive.

Eric Piercey
Nov 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
That's for people who do heavy duty video editing or something like that. But your average person who would need a Mac Pro won't need more than 3 TB, probably less.

Your average person doesn't really "need" a Mac Pro in the first place. Those who do "need" a Mac pro on the other hand are very likely to fill the Box with 1TB drives and then hook up a rotating cast of externals.

edit> doh sorry I saw this was addressed already after posting.

Michael73
Nov 12, 2007, 04:01 PM
Your average person doesn't really "need" a Mac Pro in the first place. Those who do "need" a Mac pro on the other hand are very likely to fill the Box with 1TB drives and then hook up a rotating cast of externals.

edit> doh sorry I saw this was addressed already after posting.

I always take issue with people who say this for one reason...it all depends on how long you plan to keep the box. The flexability of the tower to add different cards, RAM, hard drives etc. insures that more than any other product in Apple's lineup this will have the most staying power. For someone looking to keep their computer 5-7 years, I think the MP is a fantastic machine. If history is any guide, all that horsepower which today is only needed by the few, will in 5 years be passe.

bigbossbmb
Nov 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
well performance wise, it would be more efficient to buy an iMac now and then used the rest of the money to buy another iMac in 3 years. Buying any computer with the intention of making it last 5-7 years is stupid. You are better off buying two mid-range computers over that period of time.

skasol
Nov 20, 2007, 03:14 PM
what sata drive can I buy to add another superdrive to my mac pro?
is it just any SATA dvdrw? thanks. how about the install is it just as easy as the HD?

bigbossbmb
Nov 20, 2007, 03:20 PM
the optical drives don't currently run on SATA. They use PATA connections. You can either get a PATA optical drive or route extra cables for a SATA one (you'll also have to by an adapter for the power connection).