Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smooshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I've had my ibook g4 since September 2005. It's been used for at least 4 hours/day since then, has been carried back and forth to school/work daily, and has been on various international journeys. I think I've taken pretty good care of it - it's always in a case when on the move, don't slam it down or put things on top of it, etc. I do tend to leave it sleeping instead of turning it off for days/weeks at a time though, maybe this caused some problems.

For the past month or so I've been noticing some problems - trouble with the power source (not a consistent stream of power, flashes back and forth from "plugged in" to "battery" when connected to the wall. Screen goes black with lines going down it, so I hold down on/off button until it restarts (and is normal again, this would happen every few days or so).

Last Friday, I was using the computer and it completely turned off. Not just the screen, the entire machine. It wouldn't turn on again all night. I took it in to an Apple repair place the next morning and left it. On Tuesday they called to say it was ready - they had to re-solder part of the DC jack. They recommended I purchase a new power cord, which I did. Nor problems yesterday. Today all the same old problems were happening, to the extreme! Flashing from dc power to battery continuously, screen went to black/lines (but machine still was running) 3 times within an hour. Power finally went, and now it's not getting any power - battery won't charge.

Is my ibook at the end of its life? Or is it worth paying for parts and labor to fix both the screen problem and the power problem? I'll do it if I'll be able to rely on the machine after that. But I don't want to pay $400 to then have to buy a new laptop in 2 months! It's $100/hour + parts to get it fixed again.

Thanks for any advice! I need a computer I can rely on :)apple: all the way of course, but the question is this one or a new one??!)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I assume it's not under AppleCare still ?

If it was only recently fixed and it's already having problems again then I'd say they didn't fix it properly, and the next service should be free... however there's a lot of arguing to get you there.

I'd imagine it's on it's last legs and it probably needs replacing, but I do also think that the last service to it didn't work and that the next one should be free because of that.

smooshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for your reply. No, no applecare.. I had 2 year, of course...

I did stop in at the store today and ask what they thought. They said I'd get a labor discount since they'll be redoing some of the work, but the screen issue is different than what they were addressing before so I'll have to completely pay for that. Plus parts for both issues and labor that goes above whatever discount I get. But they wouldn't get more specific until they open it up again, which I didnt want them doing until I think it over! And I was hoping to get some data out of it tonight, but it's completely dead so that's not happening :(

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
take it in again and see since their work clearly didn't help... if you can get a refund for the work they did that did squat (you may have to argue a bit) and maybe you can use that refund towards the purchase of a new computer... take the harddrive out of this one, salvage the data from it by putting in an external enclosure or whatever and put on your new computer... then sell old ibook for parts on ebay for about 100+ (g4s tend to pick up decent money in parts)

then purchase low end or a refurb macbook and go to town :)

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
We had to replace the DC connector circuit board on an old clamshell iBook. Seems that there is a limit to the number of times it can be plugged in. I agree with the other poster in that it didn't they didn't fix the problem and I feel that it's the DC connector. They tried fixing it, but didn't do a good job.

One plus of the MacBook, among other things, is that I assume this doesn't happen because you don't have to apply pressure to plug in the DC adapter.

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah, the iBook is totally out of date. You don't need to go to all that trouble to keep it going when you can buy a MacBook. Those things run great. I'm tying on one now. Trust me, it'll be worth it.

smooshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for the responses! I like the idea of a new computer, that'll be nice, and hadn't thought of selling for parts, that's a good plan.

It's frustrating though, shouldn't I be able to get more than 2 years out of a computer? Especially a mac, I thought they were built to last for longer than that...

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I am writing this using an ibook 933 G4 purchased in Nov 2003. 4 yrs
old and on for at least 8 hours a day.

I hate this thing. It WON"T break so I can justify buying a new one!!!

Johnner1999

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Thanks for the responses! I like the idea of a new computer, that'll be nice, and hadn't thought of selling for parts, that's a good plan.

It's frustrating though, shouldn't I be able to get more than 2 years out of a computer? Especially a mac, I thought they were built to last for longer than that...

you are correct -- BUT even a Honda can break before its time...

typically Mac's last longer from a technical stand point.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
How long does an ibook last?

Twice the duration of half its lifespan :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Somebody go ask Owl...

picture1yw0.png

oligore

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
The lines on the screen are a known issue. It's caused by the graphics chip located on the logic board coming loose. There are some fixes that can be found by searching for logic board on the forums or google.
I had a similar thing happen to mine and fixed it by opening up the bottom of laptop and sticking a coin on top of the chip (located in under the left hand palm rest).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.