Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gormond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hello,

I have ordered a new iMac and am currently waiting on its arrival.

I have ordered Parallels Desktop 3.0 and I wish to install Windows with Bootcamp and then link Parallels to that installation.

I have done some reading and from what I understand you can't do this with Vista because you cant create multiple hardware profiles so I am left with XP.

Will this work ok with the OEM version of XP or will I need to purchase the retail box?

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
In fact, Parallels supports Vista well, but XP is more preferable due to amount of RAM required.
You run Windows in Parallels natively, just like you do it on PC. Better purchase retaol version to simplify the registration issues.

gormond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
In fact, Parallels supports Vista well, but XP is more preferable due to amount of RAM required.
You run Windows in Parallels natively, just like you do it on PC. Better purchase retaol version to simplify the registration issues.

I want Bootcamp and Parallels to link to the same Windows Installation which i know is possible but for activation purposes I would like to know if it can be done with a OEM or does it need to be retail?

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX

you run windows in parallels virtually, boot camp runs it natively

I want Bootcamp and Parallels to link to the same Windows Installation which i know is possible but for activation purposes I would like to know if it can be done with a OEM or does it need to be retail?

it can be done with an OEM copy of windows.. i myself did this with vmware fusion although i'm pretty sure it can be done with parallels as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.