Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
"FIRST POST!!!" and "OMG this is the first time in my life this has ever happened!" -- drives me (and others) nuts.

Can we have mods removed these posts when they see them?

I'm evil by nature, so if I were a Mod, I would even send the poster a message saying -- Do that again and your "first post" will be your "last post".

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
We habitually and unhesitatingly remove posts that say 'first' if we see them or if they're reported. Without question.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I have seen some but the mods are very quick at removing them. If you see one you can always use the report button to bring it to their attention, I know I have in the past.

And perhaps that is why you are not a mod.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sometimes we've had to remove more than one "first post" post from the same thread, as 2 or 3 people post for no other reason than making the initial comment on a news story.

In years past, if someone posted to be first but also made a potentially on-topic comment about the news, we'd carefully edit out the "first" sentence while leaving the other comment, but that gave them too much leeway and took extra moderator time. Now a post like that is removed as quickly as we can get to it, whether or not it makes another point as well.

MacRumors policy:
"First-post boast and your post is toast!"

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
MacRumors policy:
"First-post boast and your post is toast!"

Nice saying, does this apply to comments in the edit.

For example the other day I saw a post that in the last edited by comments section someone was boasting about being first.

Found it, this thread first post, obviously.

Last edited by thevofl : 11-07-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Wow, I'm also the first post. Cool Beans Marsha

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What post...?

*** whistles ***

:D

Quick question, how do you link one specific post, you know the type that says it is part of a thread from MacRumors.

And thevofl i'm sorry:p, usually when i get posts deleted I do so behind the protection of the report post button:cool:.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
And you can see the post number by hovering over the Quote button and reading the link in the status bar.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
:D

Quick question, how do you link one specific post, you know the type that says it is part of a thread from MacRumors.

And thevofl i'm sorry:p, usually when i get posts deleted I do so behind the protection of the report post button:cool:.

click on the post number in the upper right you want linked and out will pop up a new window.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Why thank you all

siurpeeman i never knew that was a link, really doesn't look like one.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Interesting that throughout life firsts are celebrated, but not here?
I guess MacRumours really is the twilight zone.:eek:

well if you think about it, the "first post" isn't really a first post; it's a first reply, which is celebrating the real first post. why spoil it with exclamations of "yay, first post!!! woOt!"

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Love how off topic this thread, full of mods, has gotten.
I was tempted to close this thread after posting
Last post! Woot! ;)
but we'll leave it open in case anyone else has an opinion or question about the "first post" policy.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Thanks for the replies Mods/Gods. I guess I usually look at the new items within the first few posts (I check MR waaaaay to much!) so they haven't yet been deleted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.