PDA

View Full Version : How Organized Are Your Movies? - Screenshots!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
How organized are your movies in iTunes? Are they all tagged w/ artwork? Just thrown in? Do you even care? I know before AppleTV I didn't care that much, but now I like to have everything tagged right... Here is one of my screen shots... Now post yours....

jensepollense
Nov 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
How can you add text to the description column? Or where all those movies bought so they already had it in there?

Thanks

CarlsonCustoms
Nov 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
Before my appletv I didnt have movie artwork but since I bought the appletv I did go out and find all the artwork. Only problem is I haven't watched a movie on my atv yet. I seem to use it mostly for podcasts!

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 03:55 PM
How can you add text to the description column? Or where all those movies bought so they already had it in there?

Thanks

Well iTunes doesn't sell HD stuff so no they weren't bought through iTunes... You can tag all your content with a tagging program. I use MetaX it's the best, gets you rating, synopsis, artwork, and more... Highly recommended...

peeaanuut
Nov 9, 2007, 04:29 PM
I do not have many movies on my aTV or even in iTunes. However I have all of my TV shows in there and they are spot on organized with episode IDs, individual show titles and artwork. The same is with my music. Im sure if I start to use it for movies they will be the same, but I think I have a total of 5 actual movies with a few small clips.

slu
Nov 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
Can you share what you mean by HD? I am confused because if you ripped from DVD the source content was not in HD, so did you "upconvert" or something? If so, do you see an improvement of the picture quality? Admittedly, I don't know much about ripping DVDs for use with the AppleTV since I don't have one (but I want one), and I only rip for the iPod with the Handbrake iPod preset.

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
Can you share what you mean by HD? I am confused because if you ripped from DVD the source content was not in HD, so did you "upconvert" or something? If so, do you see an improvement of the picture quality? Admittedly, I don't know much about ripping DVDs for use with the AppleTV since I don't have one (but I want one), and I only rip for the iPod with the Handbrake iPod preset.

These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...

Mac OS X Ocelot
Nov 9, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'd say very organized.

CarlsonCustoms
Nov 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...

Whoa. didnt' even notice all the HD movies you have. I have a Xbox HDdvd drive which I love EXCEPT for the noise. So how are you ripping the hddvd's with a mac?

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'd say very organized.

haha nice.

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 04:51 PM
Whoa. didnt' even notice all the HD movies you have. I have a Xbox HDdvd drive which I love EXCEPT for the noise. So how are you ripping the hddvd's with a mac?

I have the HD DVD for the XBOX360 too and love it, it's not too load. The quality from a disc will always be better than content on the appleTV unless they up it to 1080p and better sound. But there HD movies still look amazing, it's my way of getting through the format war. I buy HD DVD movies, but I don't support bluray.

As for ripping... I'm not, I get them from various sources.. :cool:

CarlsonCustoms
Nov 9, 2007, 05:18 PM
As for ripping... I'm not, I get them from various sources.. :cool:

Howsa bout pm'ing me those "sources" so you can share the appletv love? I thought about hooking up my xbox drive to my vista pc and find someway to rip it and then transfer it to my mac but that seems like alot of work when you can just pop the disc in, i just hate all the fan noise.

peeaanuut
Nov 9, 2007, 05:59 PM
out of curiosity. How large would say a 2 hour hd movie take up in aTV friendly format?

je1ani
Nov 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
At least 5GB... I have DVD Rips around 2GBs!

nlivo
Nov 9, 2007, 06:22 PM
mine's pretty similar to yours. I'm a nut when it comes to organization on my computer.

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
out of curiosity. How large would say a 2 hour hd movie take up in aTV friendly format?

They can vary but average about 3.75-4GB per movie (3750-3900kbps). Some are really low 1.5-2gb(1900-2500kbps) but it depends on the bitrate of the original file. If you want to be able to tag them it must be no larger than 4GB...

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
mine's pretty similar to yours. I'm a nut when it comes to organization on my computer.

Nice...

What do you use for tagging?

CarlsonCustoms
Nov 9, 2007, 07:20 PM

May I ask what's in your playlist "old people dancing" ? LOL

je1ani
Nov 9, 2007, 08:33 PM
Where do you get your box art from? and how do you fill in the Description? I am using regular iTunes not AppleTV

peeaanuut
Nov 9, 2007, 11:29 PM
I just got the script from here:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php?page=2#showdescription
It works quite well. A small script and you can type away to your hearts content.

magicmoof
Nov 10, 2007, 01:09 AM
Just curious how long these take to encode and what hardware you have.

tronic72
Nov 10, 2007, 09:47 AM
Good idea for a post. Until I saw the post all my movies has the first frame of the movie as the thumbnail. I just spent the last few hours updating my "dvd jackets"

billabong
Nov 11, 2007, 03:17 AM
Where do you get your box art from? and how do you fill in the Description? I am using regular iTunes not AppleTV

MetaX (it's mac only)

It is the best tagger ever... http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html

nlivo
Nov 11, 2007, 03:36 AM
Nice...

What do you use for tagging?
I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.

May I ask what's in your playlist "old people dancing" ? LOL

haha, that was for my parents. They needed some music for a party. I thought the name suited quite nicely.

billabong
Nov 11, 2007, 03:43 AM
Good idea for a post. Until I saw the post all my movies has the first frame of the movie as the thumbnail. I just spent the last few hours updating my "dvd jackets"

I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.

haha, that was for my parents. They needed some music for a party. I thought the name suited quite nicely.

Weird, I haven't had any issues with MetaX...

eddyg
Nov 11, 2007, 01:26 PM

There was a bug to do with losing files when the disk filled, which has been fixed. I've also seen one caused by a crash which resulted in a lost file as well.

That said, I've tagged 400 movies with MetaX and lost 2, one of them to a bug that's been fixed.

Cheers, Ed.

billabong
Nov 11, 2007, 08:05 PM
here another shot... try and concentrate on the itunes collection... haha

motownflip
Nov 11, 2007, 09:24 PM
those are some sweet collections you guys have. Are you guys all using apple tv? Can't I get the same results with a simple external hard drive?

nlivo
Nov 11, 2007, 11:17 PM
those are some sweet collections you guys have. Are you guys all using apple tv? Can't I get the same results with a simple external hard drive?

yep. i have a 300gb external hard drive that filled up a while ago and all my files have slowly been taking up my internal hard drive (i have about 10gb left). i have ordered a 750gb external from ebay, it'll be coming soon. I'll then use my 300gb external for time machine. yay!

peeaanuut
Nov 11, 2007, 11:44 PM
I have a 500gb external for music and movies. (I only have a few movies and dont plan on adding many). I also have a 250gb drive just for TV shows. All that feeds into iTunes and streams to my aTV.

Blazer5913
Nov 12, 2007, 12:27 AM
So let me ask you guys who have the the HD 720p .mkv rips (only reason I'm asking is bc i am just like you, but i have about 750gb worth of these things, that i absolutely love, sitting on my external). anyways, after everything is all converted, assuming everyone here used visual hub (apple tv, quality go nuts, and h.264?), and tagged everything, do you think it was worth it... I've been off and on with an appletv for about a year now and just can't make up my mind. Its gotta be so nice to have that friend user interface to browse through tv shows, movies, and music... to have your whole digital lifestyle right there. But I just wish I could keep my .mkv files the way they are and have them in itunes, with my 5.1 sound! but i guess thats just not gonna happen... so what do you guys think?

rev316
Nov 12, 2007, 12:59 AM
metaX is pretty cool, and probably the best solution.

Be warned, whenever using large amounts of editing... it likes to "Freak Out".

billabong
Nov 12, 2007, 02:49 AM
So let me ask you guys who have the the HD 720p .mkv rips (only reason I'm asking is bc i am just like you, but i have about 750gb worth of these things, that i absolutely love, sitting on my external). anyways, after everything is all converted, assuming everyone here used visual hub (apple tv, quality go nuts, and h.264?), and tagged everything, do you think it was worth it... I've been off and on with an appletv for about a year now and just can't make up my mind. Its gotta be so nice to have that friend user interface to browse through tv shows, movies, and music... to have your whole digital lifestyle right there. But I just wish I could keep my .mkv files the way they are and have them in itunes, with my 5.1 sound! but i guess thats just not gonna happen... so what do you guys think?

It is worth all the time spent converting. It's the convenience of all those movies at the touch of a button or two. They look great, and yeah you might lose a little bit of quality going from the mkv to mp4 but on the TV it looks amazing. I can deal without the 5.1 sound for now, but yeah it would be cool if it was included in the future of appleTV. I still purchase movies, and many of the HD one I own on HD DVD too, so if I want the best of the best, I watch the original disc. After having my AppleTV since release, it has been one of the best thing I've purchased this year. All my movies, music, and TV in a slick easy to use interface. It beats disc, tapes, it really just works. Plus the price now for a refurb one is only $229 for the 40GB that is big enough, you sync over recent TV and a maybe 5 or so movies, then just stream the rest there is no difference in quality.

Yes I am using it for AppleTV, but I don't think an external hard drive replace an AppleTV... Now sure what you mean?

I'm sure this is what the average guy is seeing when he looked at my collection shot :eek:... haha

cookieme
Nov 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
Those are some awesome collections. I have quite a few movies around 100, most of them are downloaded and are in various formats. I use Perian, so that they play in Quicktime, but I was wondering how to organise them in iTunes, so that I don't need to use the Finder when searching for movies etc. Much cooler and more organised if I could deal with my movies through iTunes, just like I do with my music. Do I need to convert these movies to a different format? What's the best practice for importing them into iTunes and tagging them with artwork etc.

Thanks

dugs022
Nov 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
Do I need to convert these movies to a different format? What's the best practice for importing them into iTunes and tagging them with artwork etc.

I will try to answer this with what I do with downloaded movies.

Downloaded movies usually is in .avi or .mkv format. I use VisualHub to convert it to .mp4 with H.264 encoding at standard quality. The result usually is a file with about the same size (around 700MB). I then use metaX to tag them. Then add them to iTunes.

For movies ripped from DVD, I use Handbrake with AppleTV preset. Then I use metaX to tag them before adding to iTunes.

Hope this helps.

andypress
Nov 12, 2007, 12:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/parasitic/Picture2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/parasitic/Picture3.png

cookieme
Nov 12, 2007, 02:07 PM
I will try to answer this with what I do with downloaded movies.

Downloaded movies usually is in .avi or .mkv format. I use VisualHub to convert it to .mp4 with H.264 encoding at standard quality. The result usually is a file with about the same size (around 700MB). I then use metaX to tag them. Then add them to iTunes.

For movies ripped from DVD, I use Handbrake with AppleTV preset. Then I use metaX to tag them before adding to iTunes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks dugs022. Don't you lose some quality converting from one format to another if the starting format has already lost some quality from the real source?

wmealer
Nov 12, 2007, 04:30 PM
Anyone else get their artwork from here?

www.impawards.com

I have yet to search for a movie they didn't have a high-res poster for...

I only have about 60 gigs free on my MyBook Terabyte drive, full of 720p mp4s (just about time to buy more space). I only add meta tags to TV shows. I leave the tags off the movies so the poster art remains as large as possible when I'm browsing on the :apple:tv. I suppose one day I may add tags to the movies, but that's becoming less and less likely as my collection grows.

I started out with the intention of only storing major movie releases, that I'd want to watch multiple times. But I've found that the selection of available movies is so vast, I can't help but accumulate even the minor flicks, just because having 720p content at my fingertips with a few clicks of the Apple Remote is so dang sexy! I'd recommend this setup to anyone. The only drawback is all the hours of conversion from mkv->mp4, which is extremely slow on my 1.83 GHz Core Duo iMac.

Funny story, I went on vacation this Spring, and before leaving for 6 days I set up VisualHub to convert 30 mkv files while I was away. Click start, drive to the beach and stay for nearly a week, drive home, wake up my iMac's display. VisualHub is still chugging along strong, still working on 29 of 30. LOL. I almost had the timing down perfect.

billabong
Nov 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah I use impa alot. Another great site is www.outnow.ch it's not in english but they have even higher quality than impa...

Does nobody out there have a comment on the screen shot from Transformers? Guess some of you aren't attracted to women...

peeaanuut
Nov 12, 2007, 09:58 PM
hard to type when one hand is occupied and the other is catching the drool. :D

Nightline
Nov 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
It's a work in progress.

peeaanuut
Nov 12, 2007, 11:04 PM
is there a way to add ratings for Shows or Movies you add yourself?

billabong
Nov 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
hard to type when one hand is occupied and the other is catching the drool. :D

haha are you sure that is what the other hand is doing?

Nightline
Nov 12, 2007, 11:25 PM

Yep, ratings work.

Nightline
Nov 12, 2007, 11:26 PM

Yep, ratings work.

Nightline
Nov 12, 2007, 11:27 PM

Yep, ratings works.

peeaanuut
Nov 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
I know I can do star ratings. I am talking about content ratings
pg-13
pg
R
NC17-
etc......

billabong
Nov 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
I know I can do star ratings. I am talking about content ratings
pg-13
pg
R
NC17-
etc......

NC17, what kind of movies do you watch?

Use MetaX, it has everything...

nlivo
Nov 13, 2007, 12:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/parasitic/Picture2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/parasitic/Picture3.png

oh my god. I want your tv shows collection soooo bad. You have no idea how bad I want them.

kjr39
Nov 13, 2007, 07:03 AM
I noticed that some of you guys have HD rips? How are you ripping and converting from an HD-DVD/Blu-ray disk?

wmealer
Nov 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
I noticed that some of you guys have HD rips? How are you ripping and converting from an HD-DVD/Blu-ray disk?

I for one have found a great source for downloading 720p (and even some 1080p) .mkv files of feature length films (only ones I own already of course). So, no ripping necessary on my end. Many people make these available on the internet (not the Web, mind you). There is a slight learning curve, but this method of internet file transfer pre-dates the World Wide Web by at least a decade or more. A little digging and I'm sure what yoU SeEk caN bE obTained. :p

Rob1980
Nov 18, 2007, 02:41 AM
I know its not in the same league as the others on here but i am currently working on tagging everything. The biggest thing holding me back is the lack of hard drive space at the moment, can anyone recommend me an external hard drive around 500Gb and is it worth paying extra for a firewire connection or is USB going to be fine?
Cheers Rob.

peeaanuut
Nov 18, 2007, 03:15 AM
some people are firewire nutz but I find that USB2 is just fine. I have a 500gb MyBook essential edition and use it for all of the audio in iTunes. It works just fine. I also have a 250gb MyBook plugged in USB2 for my TV shows in iTunes and again have no speed problems. Never have any problems streaming to the aTV either. Some will tell you that you have to have FW800 or nothing else and that simply is just a BS.

Daz777777
Nov 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
Great thread guys, I've just updating my movies and it's 50 times better now!

Within movies I have about 30 adverts and about 50 personal short camera clips taken from holidays. Is there a way to move these into a separate list so they no longer show in Movies or is it just purely the other 2 options of TV Show or Music Video?

What is the best method of ripping a TV Show DVD?

For example 1 disc has 8 episodes and I would like them appear individually rather than just 1 file under TV Shows in Itunes. Would I have to rip each episode individually?

Thanks

Darren

jensepollense
Nov 18, 2007, 08:57 AM
Is it possible to use a large external for movies and tv shows but keep all my music on my internal? When i open itunes would it still all be there at the same time or would i have to change settings each time i want to see a movie to get it off the external?
im not sure if this makes sense, hope someone understands..

thanks

imlucid
Nov 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
Is it possible to use a large external for movies and tv shows but keep all my music on my internal? When i open itunes would it still all be there at the same time or would i have to change settings each time i want to see a movie to get it off the external?
im not sure if this makes sense, hope someone understands..

thanks

Sure,

If you hold down the option key while dragging in your movie, iTunes won't copy it internally but refer to the original location.

Kevin

Rob1980
Nov 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
HELP
I have been tagging with MetaX today and all has been ok apart from one. I tagged a 720P movie which i had already watched and when i added it to iTunes and try to play it back all i get is a black screen and a really loud buzzing sound:eek:.
Has any one else found this and got a fix for me? please!

ironjaw
Nov 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
Here is my collection, I have used MetaX on some files before but have been a a bit cautious since I lost some films and also some of the weird itunes reactions to the films. Now I just use a Apple Script from Doug's Itunes Scripts for the Description

xJus10x
Nov 18, 2007, 09:44 PM
Ahh, I'm a little confused on the USENET thing... anyone wanna give me a clue on how to get HD movies. And also, what settings do you guys use to rip/convert? I want to start a movie collection so thanks for the help!

Nightline
Nov 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
Ahh, I'm a little confused on the USENET thing... anyone wanna give me a clue on how to get HD movies. And also, what settings do you guys use to rip/convert? I want to start a movie collection so thanks for the help!

I use HandBrake, and/or Visual Hub. I like them both, but Handbrake has presets for different devices. Most of the movies I convert are for Apple TV, so everything is always perfect.

VisualHub works very nicely too. I guess the only part I hate is that both programs decode the dvd at about 1.5X, so the time is just under the actual film length. I just put it in another space, and keep on doing what I want to do.

.mark.
Nov 19, 2007, 05:16 AM
can anyone give me some help converting mkv files to mp4 via visual hub - whats the best settings for keeping the conversion as close to the original as possible?

DoFoT9
Nov 19, 2007, 05:29 AM
OP, billabong, can i just ask what bitrate youve encoded your movies at??

wmealer
Nov 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
can anyone give me some help converting mkv files to mp4 via visual hub - whats the best settings for keeping the conversion as close to the original as possible?

The settings I use are... AppleTV, "Go Nuts"

Then under advanced, I constrain the file size to 4290 MB. This will yield a final size just under the magical 4 gigs, which keeps iTunes happy. Typical DVD rips never get that large (except for extra long movies like LOTR), but the hi-def mkvs look better for me when I make them as large as possible while still allowing tagging in iTunes (you can't add artwork to files larger than 4GB). Sometimes under audio, I specify a bitrate of 160, and manually choose "stereo," simply because those are the published limitations of :apple:tv.

If your main concern is picture quality, check the two-pass option. I never choose it, but keep in mind this obviously doubles the encode time.

Consultant
Nov 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
I use HandBrake, and/or Visual Hub. I like them both, but Handbrake has presets for different devices. Most of the movies I convert are for Apple TV, so everything is always perfect.

VisualHub works very nicely too. I guess the only part I hate is that both programs decode the dvd at about 1.5X, so the time is just under the actual film length. I just put it in another space, and keep on doing what I want to do.

Get an external firewire DVD drive. It goes much faster than most internal drives. Decoding (not compressing) full disk generally takes no longer than 10 minutes.

DoFoT9
Nov 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
Get an external firewire DVD drive. It goes much faster than most internal drives. Decoding (not compressing) full disk generally takes no longer than 10 minutes.

visual hub can do that??

or are u talking MTR3?

NightStorm
Nov 19, 2007, 02:59 PM
visual hub can do that??

or are u talking MTR3?
I believe he is simply stating that using an external DVD drive will result in a much faster copy to the hard drive. It won't speed up the actual encode.

DoFoT9
Nov 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
I believe he is simply stating that using an external DVD drive will result in a much faster copy to the hard drive. It won't speed up the actual encode.

yea he said decoding. which i presume means taking away the ACCROSS encodings and what not and copying it to a storage device.(i think)

Rivix
Nov 19, 2007, 04:24 PM
I have none. I also live in Canada. I should start to rip some.

Peter Kim
Nov 20, 2007, 03:07 PM
I actually don't have an appletv, I use my MacMini hooked up to my 50" plasma running Leopard's Front Row. I hate how I have to convert my movies to mp4 in order to be used in iTunes, and I refuse to do it except for my iPhone movie files. I'm a stickler for video quality and don't want to compress something that was already compressed. I basically have all my movies on an external drive and have folders called "Movies", "TV Shows", "Music Videos", and "Other". I put aliases for these in my home "movies" folder and access it through Front Row or just through the Finder, which i end up doing 90% of the time.

For the finder I set it up in icon view with a black background. Then I find the artwork online and convert it to an icon, then apply it to the movie file. It's not quite as slick as a remote interface but I use my macmini for web/photo browsing all the time anyway, not a big deal with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's also nice to just see all your movies all at once, and looks pretty impressive. The other thing is that Quicktime with Perian installed doesn't work smoothly with MKV files, I need to open them with VLC.

EDIT: just wanted to add that another advantage to having the macmini is that I use it as a main media basestation and for torrent downloads. My other computer is a MacBook so it's nice to have a dedicated machine for downloads and one iTunes library that is always on and that I can access at any time.

Rob1980
Nov 20, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hi all
Although i have lost a file with MetaX i am quite happy with what the app can do and would reccommend it i will post some pics with all my stuff now tagged in a couple of days.

Just a quick question as well if i may just got Matrix in 720P:D but it has subtitles is there any way to remove them from the MP4 file?
Cheers Rob

DoFoT9
Nov 20, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all
Although i have lost a file with MetaX i am quite happy with what the app can do and would reccommend it i will post some pics with all my stuff now tagged in a couple of days.

Just a quick question as well if i may just got Matrix in 720P:D but it has subtitles is there any way to remove them from the MP4 file?
Cheers Rob

try seeing if the file is in quicktime, wen u open the movie just go to "window">"show movie propterties" and see if its in there

Rob1980
Nov 20, 2007, 05:15 PM
try seeing if the file is in quicktime, wen u open the movie just go to "window">"show movie propterties" and see if its in there
Thanks for the tip i had a quick look and could not see anything obvious in movie properties. Really bugging me now lol

ntrigue
Nov 20, 2007, 10:01 PM
What an incredible "labor of love" catalogs you guys have!

DoFoT9
Nov 20, 2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the tip i had a quick look and could not see anything obvious in movie properties. Really bugging me now lol

oh ok. for subtitles there would normally be 3 types of files, one audio, one movie and then the subtiles.

if thers only 2 then id say that the subtitles ahve been integrated into the movie.. would be extremely hard if not imopssible to get rid of them then

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
Sure,

If you hold down the option key while dragging in your movie, iTunes won't copy it internally but refer to the original location.

Kevin

Now this is bloody useful.

peeaanuut
Nov 21, 2007, 09:59 AM

Your telling us. I had no idea about that until recently and its great. I put my music on one drive, tv shows on another and now I began ripping some of my older DVDs (where quality wasnt the greatest and the lack of 5.1 doesnt take away from the movie itself) on another drive.

spank2223
Nov 21, 2007, 10:06 AM

Does that also go for music as well?

imlucid
Nov 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
Does that also go for music as well?

Yep, anything you drag in. Basically you can set the default behavior in the preferences and holding down the option key will do the opposite (i.e. if you switch the default behavior to not copy items in but create an alias, holding down the option key will do the copy).

Kevin

Tafnerd
Nov 21, 2007, 05:28 PM
I actually don't have an appletv, I use my MacMini hooked up to my 50" plasma running Leopard's Front Row. I hate how I have to convert my movies to mp4 in order to be used in iTunes, and I refuse to do it except for my iPhone movie files. I'm a stickler for video quality and don't want to compress something that was already compressed. I basically have all my movies on an external drive and have folders called "Movies", "TV Shows", "Music Videos", and "Other". I put aliases for these in my home "movies" folder and access it through Front Row or just through the Finder, which i end up doing 90% of the time.

For the finder I set it up in icon view with a black background. Then I find the artwork online and convert it to an icon, then apply it to the movie file. It's not quite as slick as a remote interface but I use my macmini for web/photo browsing all the time anyway, not a big deal with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's also nice to just see all your movies all at once, and looks pretty impressive. The other thing is that Quicktime with Perian installed doesn't work smoothly with MKV files, I need to open them with VLC.

EDIT: just wanted to add that another advantage to having the macmini is that I use it as a main media basestation and for torrent downloads. My other computer is a MacBook so it's nice to have a dedicated machine for downloads and one iTunes library that is always on and that I can access at any time.

Hi Peter that's an interesting solution. How do you launch from the finder screenshot that you shared? I'm assuming the "movie files" you're applying the artwork to are VIDEO_TS files? Thanks!

cowm007
Nov 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
As much as I'd love to jump into the HD bandwagon, I've got my poor iPhone to think about. I must say some of those collections look impressive though. Here's some pics of mine. I don't like to have multiple files so I have one rip for all my devices. The files play perfectly on any of our iPods/iPhones, the AppleTV, and the computers. The screenshot clipped off the database size for the TV shows. I've got 560 episodes. Mostly Curb your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld lol.

miTunes75
Nov 22, 2007, 02:14 AM
Hey there:

I'm considering purchasing an atv soon. But, here's a question. I just bought Hairspray today and I can't get it to copy onto my HDD from mactheripper OR handbrake. ImPOSSible. I also have Star Wars III that I have difficulty with also.

So, is it possible....to rip the dvds on a PC...then converting to appletv format through handbrake? Has anyone done this?

krissvl
Nov 22, 2007, 06:01 AM
Hi i dont own appleTV but use front Row 2.0 i have too much media to put it all in Itunes. does anyone know if you can place a allias folder from an external harddrive in the TV folder on itunes so that Front Row see's it in the Front Row TV folder rather than the standard front row movie folder?

miTunes75
Nov 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
I believe you can. Give it a try and let us know how it works :-)

Superman07
Nov 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
Is there any way to have the ATV work without having a native computer with iTunes running? Minus syncing that is.

Rob1980
Nov 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hi
Anyone know where to get some of the cool artwork for the TV shows i have seen in this thread?

je1ani
Nov 22, 2007, 04:36 PM
mine sucks.. but i just started
http://i2.tinypic.com/8bjnmz6.png

DoFoT9
Nov 23, 2007, 04:49 AM
mine sucks.. but i just started
http://i2.tinypic.com/8bjnmz6.png

atreyu ROCKS!!!!

peeaanuut
Nov 23, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hi
Anyone know where to get some of the cool artwork for the TV shows i have seen in this thread?

There are a copule different places I get mine. You can use the DVD box cover if that particular season is on DVD. I also use wikipedia alot as people tend to upload the title screen and those look pretty cool sometimes. Otherwise I just do a google image search and use the best looking one that comes up. My method doesnt guarantee you the official logo/art of the show, but they do look good.

Croatian
Nov 23, 2007, 01:35 PM
I for one have found a great source for downloading 720p (and even some 1080p) .mkv files of feature length films (only ones I own already of course). So, no ripping necessary on my end. Many people make these available on the internet (not the Web, mind you). There is a slight learning curve, but this method of internet file transfer pre-dates the World Wide Web by at least a decade or more. A little digging and I'm sure what yoU SeEk caN bE obTained. :p

Say u download a file online somewhere, example torrent or what not, when it is 720p, how long does it take u to convert it to apple tv format to be playable on it or u don't have to convert it, you can just play it in the format that it comes in, i don't understand the format that the HD Movies or Shows are in and how that works for Apple TV

billabong
Nov 23, 2007, 02:04 PM
Hi

If the show is in iTunes, get it from there...

Here is how.

1. Browse in iTunes to the desired show and RIGHT-CLICK copy iTunes URL
(http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?id=192599752&s=143441) looks like that
2. Go to this site here http://tpemble.urfbownd.net/itunes/itunes-art.php
3. Paste your iTunes URL in there and click SUBMIT
4. your get a link like this http://a1.phobos.apple.com/r10/Features/c2/27/b7/dj.jvzokecp.170x170-75.jpg
5. Delete the 170x170-75. part of it
and you get this
http://a1.phobos.apple.com/r10/Features/c2/27/b7/dj.jvzokecp.jpg

Vanilla
Nov 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
For the guys who use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake - assuming you have an iPod/iPhone/Touch - do you have duplicates using the iPod High-Res preset as well? If so, how do you distinguish them in iTunes?
Vanilla

fkntotalkaos
Nov 24, 2007, 10:55 AM
What format are the Apple TV movies in, .avi, mp4, mv4? I have a lot of low res movies but want to upgrade to 720p format with ac3

samuraikiss
Nov 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
Just downloaded MetaX and used for my vast movie collection, as is visible below. [wink]

dugs022
Nov 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
Hi

I use http://impawards.com/. They have almost everything.

xJus10x
Nov 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hows is the quality of your guys videos. The only thing stopping me from doing this is idk how good they'll look on my HD tv. Thanks

pavloskgr
Nov 25, 2007, 10:50 AM
I like my itunes library and my apple tv, at least it works great for me!

ntrigue
Nov 26, 2007, 01:46 PM
If the show is in iTunes, get it from there...

Here is how.

So utilizing that site and another that I found results in a MUCH smaller image. 170x170 is this the results of the site getting 'caught'?

acidzerocool
Nov 26, 2007, 09:14 PM
Man i wish there was a MetaX version for Windows based :mad::mad::mad:

peeaanuut
Nov 26, 2007, 11:49 PM
is there something like metax but for TV shows? I want to add the description and show names to each of the TV shows I have but without having to do them individually. Anything like that out there or am I missing something in metax?

MikieMikie
Nov 27, 2007, 06:34 AM
Hey there:

I'm considering purchasing an atv soon. But, here's a question. I just bought Hairspray today and I can't get it to copy onto my HDD from mactheripper OR handbrake. ImPOSSible. I also have Star Wars III that I have difficulty with also.

So, is it possible....to rip the dvds on a PC...then converting to appletv format through handbrake? Has anyone done this?

I have had no problem ripping my copy of Star Wars III. (Don't own Hairspray.)

I find the dvd MUST be clean. Some rips fail with MTR 3 R14 but succeed with the previous version. V 3.0 R14 has problems ripping "feature only." Try ripping the whole dvd, then let Handbrake figure out what to encode.

I have yet to find a DVD that one of the two, most-recent, versions of MTR couldn't handle. Including Ratatouille.

-- Mikie

netdog
Nov 27, 2007, 06:37 AM
I can't help but notice that everyone's porn seems to be stashed out of site for these screenshots. :p

MikieMikie
Nov 27, 2007, 06:42 AM
For the guys who use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake - assuming you have an iPod/iPhone/Touch - do you have duplicates using the iPod High-Res preset as well? If so, how do you distinguish them in iTunes?
Vanilla

I have 2 versions. I typically precede the iPhone versions with "Z_" so they get sorted to the end of the list and stay out the main sort. You could also change the Sort tag in the get info dialog in itunes (or metax) and have them sort to the start or end.

It's easy to tell the physical files apart both by size (GB) and by the information dialog box. The smaller sized one... you get it.

I keep all film & tv on an external HDD, with 3 folders: films, iPhone, and tv.

I don't add the films to iTunes -- just the "alias" using the option-drag & drop outlined above.

-- Mikie

NightStorm
Nov 27, 2007, 08:10 AM
Vanilla
This is the major reason why I think Apple needs to ditch iTunes and create a new media-centric file management system. iTunes works for music, it doesn't work for video (especially when they are forcing users to have multiple versions of the same video for compatibility between devices). It drives me crazy to see duplicate entries in the movie list.

That said, I have taken to appending the title with [HD] for HD conversions, or [IP] for iPhone conversions. DVD conversions are not marked. I then use the sorting name field to nest the different versions underneath the main one. I'm at work now, but I'll post a screenshot if I remember tonight.

Example (kinda bad example, if I have the HD version, I do not also convert the DVD):
The Bourne Identity
[HD] The Bourne Identity
[IP] The Bourne Identity

ironjaw
Nov 27, 2007, 04:14 PM
Just want to educate everyone that 9covers.com is a great source for HD covers for blu-ray and HDDVD

peeaanuut
Nov 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
my main question is, do people really watch movies on their iPod?

DoFoT9
Nov 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
my main question is, do people really watch movies on their iPod?

yup i do all the time.

not just movies, but tv episodes. it helps to waste time on the bus or something. i only rip my movies at 256kbps, or 512kbps. to save space. i dont need the quality on such a small screen

peeaanuut
Nov 27, 2007, 07:47 PM
I guess I always forget about people that commute on a train or the bus. I rarely am ever somewhere that I could sit and watch video on the iPod itself. I load it up with TV shows to watch while at work, but i watch them through iTunes on the computer screen or I watch them at home on the aTV. But I also rarely plug a set of headphones into my iPod either so I guess I am not the typical user.

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
I haven't gotten around to working on my movies yet. However, I am absolutely anal when it comes to my TV shows. I rip them myself from DVDs with carefully configured Handbrake settings. I then spend a ton of time tagging them and adding album art. Even the finder folders are all fancified.
http://drusch.4ttwo.com/Random/iTunes.png
http://drusch.4ttwo.com/Random/Folders.png

DoFoT9
Nov 27, 2007, 11:15 PM
I haven't gotten around to working on my movies yet. However, I am absolutely anal when it comes to my TV shows. I rip them myself from DVDs with carefully configured Handbrake settings. I then spend a ton of time tagging them and adding album art. Even the finder folders are all fancified.

wooooooooooow.
i also have all the futurama episodes :) but i havent tagged them like u have.
how i would love those stargate episodes tho hahaha. quite a collection i am quite jealous

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 27, 2007, 11:56 PM
wooooooooooow.
i also have all the futurama episodes :) but i havent tagged them like u have.
how i would love those stargate episodes tho hahaha. quite a collection i am quite jealous

The thing is that I am still in the process of ripping more TV shows. All in all, I have 2 or 3 times what I have in there right now. It just takes soooo long to encode everything. The great part about these though is that they not only look good on my computer and larger monitors and TVs, but also work on iPods.

DoFoT9
Nov 27, 2007, 11:57 PM
The thing is that I am still in the process of ripping more TV shows. All in all, I have 2 or 3 times what I have in there right now. It just takes soooo long to encode everything. The great part about these though is that they not only look good on my computer and larger monitors and TVs, but also work on iPods.

oh really?? care to share what kind of quality, codec you are ripping in?

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 28, 2007, 12:08 AM
oh really?? care to share what kind of quality, codec you are ripping in?

My friend and I have spent a very long time experimenting with different settings in Handbrake to determine what we consider the best possible format (for our uses at least). We wanted a single video file that would both work on iPods, look good on larger screens (we've tried up to 50" plasma and 113" projector), and a fairly small file size. Using these parameters and a lot of small test videos, I have come up with presets that work extremely well.

Keep in mind, I work mainly with TV shows, but the widescreen settings should work fine for movies.

For widescreen live-action TV shows:
x264 (h.264 iPod) encoder
Average bitrate: 1500
2-pass encoding with Turbo first pass
Output size: 640 width
Deinterlace: Slow
Detelecine: Yes, if applicable (I have found it eliminates choppy playback on Scrubs and Friends)
Advanced Settings (all but the following set to default):
Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon

For 4:3 live-action TV shows:
Same as above, but frame size can be left at full 640x480

For animated TV shows:
Same as live-action, but Denoise can be set up to medium (This helps to eliminate some macroblocking)

These settings work extremely well for all of the uses I've tried. The resulting files are around 250MB for 1/2hr TV shows, 500MB for 1hr TV shows. Like I said before, I've watched them before on very large screens and they look pretty good, and I routinely watch them on my 20" monitor and they look just as good as DVDs played with DVD Player.

DoFoT9
Nov 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
My friend and I have spent a very long time experimenting with different settings in Handbrake to determine what we consider the best possible format (for our uses at least). We wanted a single video file that would both work on iPods, look good on larger screens (we've tried up to 50" plasma and 113" projector), and a fairly small file size. Using these parameters and a lot of small test videos, I have come up with presets that work extremely well.

Keep in mind, I work mainly with TV shows, but the widescreen settings should work fine for movies.

For widescreen live-action TV shows:
x264 (h.264 iPod) encoder
Average bitrate: 1500
2-pass encoding with Turbo first pass
Output size: 640 width
Deinterlace: Slow
Detelecine: Yes, if applicable (I have found it eliminates choppy playback on Scrubs and Friends)
Advanced Settings (all but the following set to default):
Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon

For 4:3 live-action TV shows:
Same as above, but frame size can be left at full 640x480

For animated TV shows:
Same as live-action, but Denoise can be set up to medium (This helps to eliminate some macroblocking)

These settings work extremely well for all of the uses I've tried. The resulting files are around 250MB for 1/2hr TV shows, 500MB for 1hr TV shows. Like I said before, I've watched them before on very large screens and they look pretty good, and I routinely watch them on my 20" monitor and they look just as good as DVDs played with DVD Player.

ok wow thanks so much for that. i will be using them from now on :)

just a quick Q, what quality and format to you encode your audio at???

DoFoT9

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 28, 2007, 12:18 AM
ok wow thanks so much for that. i will be using them from now on :)

just a quick Q, what quality and format to you encode your audio at???

DoFoT9

Well, if it's available I use the 5.1 surround. But otherwise I find that the standard 128 kbps AAC sounds just great.

DoFoT9
Nov 28, 2007, 12:20 AM
Well, if it's available I use the 5.1 surround. But otherwise I find that the standard 128 kbps AAC sounds just great.

aaahhh ok thanking you so much.

i dont have 5.1 surround :( probably best to encode it like that but.

thanks again

DoFoT9

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
aaahhh ok thanking you so much.

i dont have 5.1 surround :( probably best to encode it like that but.

thanks again

DoFoT9

I don't have 5.1 surround either. But I'm future proofing in case I do get a 5.1 surround system.

DoFoT9
Nov 28, 2007, 12:24 AM
I don't have 5.1 surround either. But I'm future proofing in case I do get a 5.1 surround system.

great idea lol i shall keep that in mind :):)

terima kasih

bmb012
Nov 28, 2007, 02:45 AM
So then what are you using for the 5.1 surround? uncompress PCM rips? (is handbrake doing that yet?) Or is the appleTV converting aac to dolby?

That's really the one thing stopping me from really caring about ripping all my dvds...

DoFoT9
Nov 28, 2007, 02:52 AM
So then what are you using for the 5.1 surround? uncompress PCM rips? (is handbrake doing that yet?) Or is the appleTV converting aac to dolby?

That's really the one thing stopping me from really caring about ripping all my dvds...

i am pretty sure handbrake does 5.1. not completely sure tho.

just a question.. why do people transport the dvd's to digital when the dvd will always be better quality? i mean its not exactly that hard to put the dvd into the dvd player and watch it, is it???

nicoska
Nov 28, 2007, 04:38 AM

Wow! Awesome!
Where did you find the Tv show's covers ? It seems like iTunes Store cover.
Very beautiful
bye

Nico

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 28, 2007, 09:44 AM
Wow! Awesome!
Where did you find the Tv show's covers ? It seems like iTunes Store cover.
Very beautiful
bye

Nico

Most of those are actually from iTunes. The iTunes artwork grabber website doesn't work for music anymore, but I found TV shows and movies still work. http://www.thejosher.net/iTunes/methodtwo.php

nicoska
Nov 28, 2007, 10:10 AM
Most of those are actually from iTunes. The iTunes artwork grabber website doesn't work for music anymore, but I found TV shows and movies still work. http://www.thejosher.net/iTunes/methodtwo.php

thanks a lot. It works like a charms.
Bye

Nico

NightStorm
Nov 28, 2007, 11:12 AM
After thinking about this more, I've decided that I'm not going to import my iPhone encodes into iTunes unless I specifically need them. It was driving me crazy seeing the same title multiple times in the library/AppleTV interface. So, my procedure will now be:
1.) Encode for AppleTV + iPhone (seperate files)
2.) Tag and import AppleTV encode to iTunes
3.) Tag and move iPhone encode to storage directory
4.) When I want a video on my iPhone, import only that file and sync it to iPhone
5.) When done with video, remove iPhone file from library.

I really wish I didn't have to do it this way, but it seems to be the only solution at the moment.

Philpo
Nov 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hey guys,

I've been organising my iTunes library for movies for ages and been using MetaX for my tags but haven't been able to get the 'i' at the end of the description....Why is this??? I get it for podcasts and other things that i download but not for movies when I 'manually' put in the description.

Generally my desciptions are quite short but I don't think this is it. Can anyone help? I see you all with you lovely truncated description boxes with the ability to pop it open and I want that :(

Cheers guys & gals

Raid
Nov 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
just a question.. why do people transport the dvd's to digital when the dvd will always be better quality? i mean its not exactly that hard to put the dvd into the dvd player and watch it, is it??? Well if they are like me I dream of the day I can move my DVD collection to my storage locker and clear up some clutter in my condo... every square foot counts! Also I need a better excuse to eventually buy a mac mini / :apple:tv

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 28, 2007, 02:58 PM
just a question.. why do people transport the dvd's to digital when the dvd will always be better quality? i mean its not exactly that hard to put the dvd into the dvd player and watch it, is it???

I do it for a couple of reasons. First of all I hate waiting for all of the FBI warnings and previews they put on DVDs before you can actually watch it. Also, with TV shows, it is much easier to find an episode when they're all at a click rather than figuring out what season it's from and then what disc of that season has it.

DoFoT9
Nov 28, 2007, 04:11 PM
Well if they are like me I dream of the day I can move my DVD collection to my storage locker and clear up some clutter in my condo... every square foot counts! Also I need a better excuse to eventually buy a mac mini / :apple:tv

hahaha oh ok that seems very feasible then. yes an excuse to buy a mac mini i am also looking for, ill try this out teehee.

I do it for a couple of reasons. First of all I hate waiting for all of the FBI warnings and previews they put on DVDs before you can actually watch it. Also, with TV shows, it is much easier to find an episode when they're all at a click rather than figuring out what season it's from and then what disc of that season has it.

ohhhh yup those FBI warning thingoes can go for at least 30seconds. they are really annoying.
although, a true fan of any TV show would know exactly what episode is on what disc :p

ironjaw
Nov 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
As much as I'd love to jump into the HD bandwagon, I've got my poor iPhone to think about. I must say some of those collections look impressive though. Here's some pics of mine. I don't like to have multiple files so I have one rip for all my devices. The files play perfectly on any of our iPods/iPhones, the AppleTV, and the computers. The screenshot clipped off the database size for the TV shows. I've got 560 episodes. Mostly Curb your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld lol.

So just wondering what specs to rip with?

Shoesy
Nov 28, 2007, 06:15 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92672&stc=1&d=1196295084

Just thought I'd drop mine in Sir.

p.s. anyone gone the whole hog with chapters via metadata hootenanny? They work all through to appletv ya know...

Just something else to sort out for every dvd I own. :eek:

NightStorm
Nov 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
Handbrake also supports chapters and naming if you are so inclined.

Shoesy
Nov 29, 2007, 01:13 PM
Handbrake also supports chapters and naming if you are so inclined.

True- but metadata hootenany can add them post rip.

(I don't think I'll ever type that sentence again. :eek:)

Draddy
Nov 29, 2007, 03:23 PM
MetaX (it's mac only)

It is the best tagger ever... http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html
what an Awesome app!

ntrigue
Nov 30, 2007, 04:52 AM
Why did I have to wait 40 minutes for MacTheRipper to rip "Alpha Dog" then waste another 109 minutes in Visual Hub and finally 5 minutes processing a new cover art?

I paid for Visual Hub and it can't even do the ripping a free program is capable of?

peeaanuut
Nov 30, 2007, 07:40 AM
thats like complaining that you cant do layered graphics in word. Word doesnt do graphics. Visual hub is not a ripper. Just because you paid for it doesnt mean its going to do things it was never supposed to do.

OldSkoolNJ
Nov 30, 2007, 08:50 AM
Why did I have to wait 40 minutes for MacTheRipper to rip "Alpha Dog" then waste another 109 minutes in Visual Hub and finally 5 minutes processing a new cover art?

I paid for Visual Hub and it can't even do the ripping a free program is capable of?

"Ripping Programs" are not legal to sell. They ar erestricted right now due to all the grey legal areas around ripping a dvd. Thats why you cant just walk into Best Buy or the like and grab it off the shelf.

Kevin

A Mac Gamer
Nov 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have just started ripping my DVD's onto my external hard drive, but I am having a little trouble. First, I ripped my Seinfeld DVD using MacTheRipper, then I use handbrake to encode it in mp4 format, the only problem is that it only encodes the very first episode on the disc and I have no idea how to do the other ones.

Second, when I ripped and encoded Naked Gun, the quality is pretty good, but when the camera pans in the move, there is a kind of a choppy pan. Is there a setting that I can change somewhere to fix that?

Thanks!

dugs022
Nov 30, 2007, 11:06 AM
... that it only encodes the very first episode on the disc and I have no idea how to do the other ones.

I try to answer your first question.

In Handbrake screen, click on the drop down menu under Title:
It should list all the other episodes. Then, just repeat the encode for every episodes.

For example, I am encoding a movie right now. The first screenshot shows that I am enconding the main movie (title 1). If I click on Title: drop down menu, it'll show other contents of the dvd, which in my case are extra features (title 2 - 9), etc, as shown in the second screenshot.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2378/2076355266_9f02b271ea.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2076355270_c8cb1e3613.jpg?v=0

A Mac Gamer
Nov 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks, works great!

dogtanian
Dec 2, 2007, 06:32 AM
Here's mine. Just started though so not many films on there.

And my Family Guy and South Park. (Futurama and Simpsons to come)

Still don't actually have an Apple TV yet though... too pricey for what they are at the moment.

techlover828
Dec 2, 2007, 06:45 AM
here's mine, does anyone know how to change movies to tv shows without manually changing them all (it would definitely be a pain to change 150 ipod movies)?

http://tangelo.quickshareit.com/share/picture246e5d.png

dugs022
Dec 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
here's mine, does anyone know how to change movies to tv shows without manually changing them all (it would definitely be a pain to change 150 ipod movies)?

Looks like you're on a Mac. MetaX (http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html) does what you need.

techlover828
Dec 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
Looks like you're on a Mac. MetaX (http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html) does what you need.

Thanks a lot. :)

Shoesy
Dec 2, 2007, 10:54 AM

http://tangelo.quickshareit.com/share/picture246e5d.png

Personally I find this script from Doug to be the easiest way of doing it, although I do regularly use metaX as well...

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=setvideokindofselected

Well good.

techlover828
Dec 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
Personally I find this script from Doug to be the easiest way of doing it, although I do regularly use metaX as well...

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=setvideokindofselected

Well good.

Ya, that looks like it may work a lot better for doing a lot of videos

dugs022
Dec 2, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks a lot. :)

You're welcome.

I strongly suggest to watch the quick tutorial on their website. It was all confusing to me the first time I saw metaX, but now it all makes sense.
It's one of the best gem in OSX.

jensepollense
Dec 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
One thing in iTunes that drives me mad is how in CoverFlow, iTunes doesn't distinguish between different seasons. For example, I have more than one season of Family Guy, but when I go to CoverFlow, there is one artwork for Family Guy. Is there a solution to this?

dogtanian
Dec 2, 2007, 04:47 PM
Apart from renaming the title "Family Guy Season X", no not really! LOL.

I can't wait for iTunes 8. I hope a bit more coverflow iPhone style action and much better media control. I wonder what iTunes would be like if DVD's were open (ie could be ripped to your computer legally).

DoFoT9
Dec 2, 2007, 05:24 PM
yew just started cataloguing all the movies that i have...using Metax and that script up the page a bit (thanks for those :))

the problem is that most if not all of the things i have are .avi. which is just a pain in the butt. i need to figure out a way to make itunes read .avi lol. or im gonna have to spend an awful amount of time converting!!!!

Shoesy
Dec 2, 2007, 05:42 PM
the problem is that most if not all of the things i have are .avi. which is just a pain in the butt. i need to figure out a way to make itunes read .avi lol. or im gonna have to spend an awful amount of time converting!!!!

try this my man

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

it lets you add almost any video format into itunes (by placing inside a .mov container).

Careful tho- it only adds the container to your library not the original file so make sure you do it manually or are careful not to delete the original file.

blimeys- I feel like a bit of a guru today!

DoFoT9
Dec 2, 2007, 05:46 PM
try this my man

it lets you add almost any video format into itunes (by placing inside a .mov container).

Careful tho- it only adds the container to your library not the original file so make sure you do it manually or are careful not to delete the original file.

WOW that is flipping incredible!!! thank you soooo much mate

have a good one :)

dugs022
Dec 2, 2007, 10:52 PM
try this my man

Oh my, this is exactly what I was looking for, for a long time. Thank you.
Now, if only it works with >8G .mkv files :D

AliensAreFuzzy
Dec 3, 2007, 12:52 AM
I strongly suggest to watch the quick tutorial on their website. It was all confusing to me the first time I saw metaX, but now it all makes sense.
It's one of the best gem in OSX.

I've tried MetaX before and I really have to say, at least for tagging TV shows, I really don't like it. I find that Lostify (http://lostify.com/) works much more quickly for tagging TV shows, although it doesn't at the moment allow embedding artwork (for that I just do a batch change using vID Infiltr8 after I use Lostify).

I do agree, though, that MetaX is better for tagging movies in most cases.

wmealer
Dec 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
try this my man

Does this truly allow :apple:tv to play avi files? I see that it creates reference files for iTunes, but what happens when you sync or stream them to :apple:tv? Do they still play, or do you need proper codecs installed into a hacked :apple:tv? And what about MKV files?

krissvl
Dec 6, 2007, 03:21 PM
any one know how to embed artwork for AVI files etc? or is it only possible for itunes format?

Shoesy
Dec 6, 2007, 06:22 PM
Does this truly allow :apple:tv to play avi files? I see that it creates reference files for iTunes, but what happens when you sync or stream them to :apple:tv? Do they still play, or do you need proper codecs installed into a hacked :apple:tv? And what about MKV files?

Nope.

Just because an avi file is inside itunes doesn't mean appletv will play it unfortunately :(

Install perian on your appletv and you should be able to get almost anything to play, but you must be a braver man than this g5 owner. :eek:

any one know how to embed artwork for AVI files etc? or is it only possible for itunes format?

Not sure under which conditions this fails to work, but metaX should help you out here.

mac2thefuture
Dec 7, 2007, 03:40 AM
I Love :apple:TV
http://lime.quickshareit.com/share/picture23c0df.png

mac2thefuture
Dec 7, 2007, 03:44 AM
http://kumquat.quickshareit.com/share/picture3b3c5f.png

Rob1980
Dec 7, 2007, 10:31 AM
How many movies do you have in there mac2thefuture and what sort of quality are they?

mac2thefuture
Dec 7, 2007, 11:21 AM
How many movies do you have in there mac2thefuture and what sort of quality are they?
I have 67 movies and 22 tv shows so far. The quality is exceptional - i play on a Panasonic 42" HD Plasma and I'm as happy as a pig in mud....

xJus10x
Dec 8, 2007, 10:59 PM
Quick question for you guys. Do you guys keep 2 copies of each movie in you collection, one for an iPod and for full resolution on your Apple TV? I'm not sure what I should do.

DoFoT9
Dec 9, 2007, 02:05 AM
Quick question for you guys. Do you guys keep 2 copies of each movie in you collection, one for an iPod and for full resolution on your Apple TV? I'm not sure what I should do.

i normally keep a high res (stored on ext harddrive) then a ipod version on my ipod.. no use having a backup of the smaller copy as i could easily convert the movies back down again.

krissvl
Dec 9, 2007, 03:26 AM
Not sure under which conditions this fails to work, but metaX should help you out here.[/QUOTE]

the problem is that use reference files from a external HD to Itunes and MetaX is just MP4 so anyone know a way of tagging movies with artwork that arnt MP4?? thanks in advance

AEP
Dec 9, 2007, 08:45 AM

I have two versions of everything!

what works for me is i have two library's, just press and hold alt+cmd then open itunes, you can then either create a new library or select one to load up.

if im syncing my iPod i use my 'iPod' library otherwise i always use my 'iTunes' one.

because a device will only sync with one library, if you have the wrong one up iTunes will flash up a warning. Just close iTunes press alt+cmd select your other library and away you go!

i've not got my sweaty little hands on an aT.V. yet, but i think they will only sync from one library, so i don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

one library for the big screen and one for small!

hope this helps

mac2thefuture
Dec 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
Is there a way of storing episodes of a TV show within one folder to display on :apple:TV????
I'm starting to acquire TV shows and it making things look messy - and me and Apple don't do mess!!

Bufordt
Dec 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
MetaX (it's mac only)

Joined Mac Rumors today just to say thank you. I've used this MetaX to help put my movies in order and just wanted to say thanks.

Bufordt

robbrick
Dec 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
I wanted to ask a question regarding this method:

Does this work for music and movies as well?

Here is my set-up, maybe someone can help me better understand and utilize iTunes to the best potential:

I have a MacMini as my media server, with a 500GB LaCie drive attached, via FireWire. I have 2 laptops (1 MacBook and a Pro) that I want to set-up to use iTunes library that is attached to the MacMini. I have been told that I need to point iTunes to the right library file on my laptop by holding the OPTION key while launching iTunes and click Choose Library... from the menu that appears. What would be the difference if I Option + Drag/Drop my current library into my laptop music folder or click option while launching iTunes and choose library? Or maybe I need to use the Add to Library feature?

I apologize is this is the wrong section to post this question, you guys just seem to know exactly what you are doing. Also, I did search, but I did not find a good answer, probably because I did not know exactly how to input the search term to narrow down the best chance of success.

I thank you all for all your help.

Thank you,

Robert

By the way, thank you for the mention of MetaX. I will try this today when I get home and see how well it works.

je1ani
Dec 12, 2007, 01:07 AM
After tagging all my files from MetaX I found myself unable to sync my Movies on my iPhone or iPod... any help?

Croatian
Dec 12, 2007, 10:24 AM
Oh my, this is exactly what I was looking for, for a long time. Thank you.
Now, if only it works with >8G .mkv files :D

does it work with any .mkv files

SthrnCmfrtr
Dec 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
Too bad I'm currently in a transitional period (building a 3.25TB RAID 5 Array) and can't post screenshots :)

I add my voice to those hoping iTunes 8 will provide a lot of features we've been missing out on for a while...

joshwest
Dec 12, 2007, 03:08 PM
Guys everytime i try to add artwork by going to info of the file it corrupts my files and then i have to re import them into iTunes, anyone else have this problem? and yes these files are ripped files.

wmealer
Dec 12, 2007, 03:18 PM
Guys everytime i try to add artwork by going to info of the file it corrupts my files and then i have to re import them into iTunes, anyone else have this problem? and yes these files are ripped files.

I'm assuming since these are DVD rips that they are far smaller than the 4GB limit of iTunes. The only time that's happened to me is when I accidentally tried to add artwork to a file larger than 4GB.

SthrnCmfrtr
Dec 12, 2007, 03:47 PM

What do you mean by corrupt?

I have a problem where I have to convert my ID3 tags of certain songs (Lossless, mind you) when I import their artwork -- perhaps there's something in common?

CKtoph
Dec 20, 2007, 09:27 PM
After reading through the thread, I think there is a slight misunderstanding with the DVD titles labeled [HD] (maybe I'm mistaken, and please correct me if I am).

When I initially read this thread, I kept wondering to myself how are these guys ripping HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies? In the current market, there is only one external, USB Blu-Ray playable drive for computers, and even at that, there is no software available that reads Blu-Ray videos. As for the HD-DVDs, there is obviously the Xbox 360 add-on that can be purchased, and with a parallel desktop or boot camp, one can actually play HD-DVDs on a mac.

After doing some reading and especially after seeing the most recently posted tutorial on ripping DVDs using Handbrake, it seems as though it is apparent that the best available rips of DVDs through various sources are in fact regular DVDs and not "HD" or "Blu-ray."

If this is not correct, please correct me and tell me how it would be possible to rip a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

Thanks! :)

**EDIT: After some more searching, I've found some software such as Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra that can read HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats. But a drive that can read HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are still required to do the actual encoding. Also, I have found a few such files of people figuring out ways to copy the main video file from HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs, but these files are about 5GB to 15GB in size. All of that said, these formats can not be read in iTunes even with Perian installed. **

Mernak
Dec 20, 2007, 11:11 PM

This has happened to me before, usually it just seems to hang while importing the artwork, but you can't just quit because it is overwriting the file. If you do mess up the transfer for some reason, it makes the movies unreadable.

pacmania1982
Dec 21, 2007, 03:59 AM
My movies library and TV shows are shown in the attached screenshots.

I've got a 1.42GHz Mac mini connected via S-Video to a 28" Widescreen CRT TV in the living room. Its going to be upgraded to a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo early in the next year as I've got on in my bedroom hooked up to a 20" Samsung Widescreen monitor (used to play back all of my HD content)

I'm in the process of ripping my DVD library using Handbrake (I've another 150 movies or so to do), but thats been put on hold until I get another 500GB external drive

pac

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=movesrs8.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvshowslo0.jpg

jasonnorm
Dec 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
Storage:

1 TB of Raid-0 Storage for Movies (2x 500GB GTech G-Drives) connected via FW-800
600 GB of single drive storage for TV Shows and Music connected via FW-800 (daisy chained through Raid)

Contents:

305 Movies (VisualHub - GoNuts setting)
23 TV Shows (279 items) - Combination of iTunes purchases and DVD rips using HandBrake
Music - 562 Artists, 1,373 Albums, 18,462 songs

jensepollense
Dec 21, 2007, 08:34 PM
jeeez
thats a lot of movies/songs/tv shows:eek: haha

weldon
Dec 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
23 TV Shows (279 items) - Combination of iTunes purchases and DVD rips using HandBrake
Why did you use VisualHub for the movies and HandBrake for the TV shows? I'm wondering if you get better picture quality from one or the other or if HandBrake is better for discs that have multiple episodes.

jasonnorm
Dec 22, 2007, 08:41 AM
I find that VisualHub does give better picture quality so I use that whenever I can. For TV shows and some movies (with odd aspect ratios) I use HandBrake as it allows for easier ripping of episodic DVD's as well as better control over the aspect ratio for those odd movies.

weldon
Dec 22, 2007, 09:42 PM
I find that VisualHub does give better picture quality so I use that whenever I can. For TV shows and some movies (with odd aspect ratios) I use HandBrake as it allows for easier ripping of episodic DVD's as well as better control over the aspect ratio for those odd movies.
Thanks. I appreciate hearing about your experiences and when you choose to use one program over the other. I've been debating buying VisualHub for a few months now and I also like Handbrake so I appreciate hearing that there valid reasons to use both programs.

xsedrinam
Dec 22, 2007, 10:57 PM
Up through 700 were numbered through '98 (then lost interest). Catalogued in a Guide and sorted (1)alphabetically, (2)genre and (3)actors. I need to redo it, come to think of it, especially with all the newly acquired DVDs since then. And passing all the VHS tapes to DVD will take me the rest of my days.

DoFoT9
Dec 23, 2007, 05:41 AM
Storage:

1 TB of Raid-0 Storage for Movies (2x 500GB GTech G-Drives) connected via FW-800
600 GB of single drive storage for TV Shows and Music connected via FW-800 (daisy chained through Raid)

Contents:

Mission Impossible III only goes for 10seconds :p

that is quite a collection there!!! thats amazing. what quality/bit rate/res/everything else do you encode at? with both handbrake and the visual hub setting?

very very nice collection there!!!

phoxrenvatio
Dec 24, 2007, 10:02 AM
i'm more worried about getting more good movies to watch than organizing them, though i'm slowly workin' on it... my biggest thing is keepin' series together... (221 total, LOTR is two files each still, but i don't care)

nicoska
Dec 25, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hi all,
I have a problem with MetaX when i try to edit a larger 4GB mp4.
How do you add tag to a file larger than 4GB ?
Thanks

Nico

CKtoph
Dec 25, 2007, 07:22 PM
The settings I use are... AppleTV, "Go Nuts"

Then under advanced, I constrain the file size to 4290 MB. This will yield a final size just under the magical 4 gigs, which keeps iTunes happy. Typical DVD rips never get that large (except for extra long movies like LOTR), but the hi-def mkvs look better for me when I make them as large as possible while still allowing tagging in iTunes (you can't add artwork to files larger than 4GB). Sometimes under audio, I specify a bitrate of 160, and manually choose "stereo," simply because those are the published limitations of :apple:tv.

If your main concern is picture quality, check the two-pass option. I never choose it, but keep in mind this obviously doubles the encode time.

:D

iTeen
Dec 25, 2007, 07:26 PM
mines fairly organized, not to many movies thou.

thrasherlife
Jan 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
anyone know of a good tagging program similar to MetaX for windows? My :apple:TV is hooked up to an old PC so I can't run MetaX on it :(

mopar003
Jan 2, 2008, 03:52 PM
yup i do all the time.

not just movies, but tv episodes. it helps to waste time on the bus or something. i only rip my movies at 256kbps, or 512kbps. to save space. i dont need the quality on such a small screen

I use my iPod more as a vault. I store the movies on it (about 60 or so) for the kids and then hook the iPod up as an input device for the car. Instant movie collection for the DVD system in the mini van.

Also, a good source for movie covers is www.cdcovers.cc

ucflyboy
Jan 2, 2008, 05:39 PM
Those using Handbrake, what settings would be optimal for 50" plasma? I've also found that v 0.7.1 of Handbrake will rip some dvd's the newest version will not. I had a hard time finding but I could tell you how. Thanks all.

annaj
Jan 3, 2008, 03:29 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a few .mkv files that are 1080p ripped from bluray discs that play in VLC, but in quicktime they play video (with perian), but no audio.
The audio is DTS (AC3, I think, which would explain why it's not playing in quicktime). Do I have to go and convert the whole file using visualhub? That takes sooooo long on my computer 5+ hours!

Is there some way of just converting the audio,
or extracting, converting, and combining audio/video?
Or is that going to take just as long, and possibly result in un-synced audio?

I know this isn't the right thread to ask,
but I wasn't actually out looking for an answer until I found this thread.
I'm really anal about organizing my computer, and this makes me really want to get my media into itunes to be able to use front row!

Thanks
Anna

wmealer
Jan 3, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a few .mkv files that are 1080p ripped from bluray discs that play in VLC, but in quicktime they play video (with perian), but no audio.
The audio is DTS (AC3, I think, which would explain why it's not playing in quicktime). Do I have to go and convert the whole file using visualhub? That takes sooooo long on my computer 5+ hours!

Is there some way of just converting the audio,
or extracting, converting, and combining audio/video?
Or is that going to take just as long, and possibly result in un-synced audio?

I know this isn't the right thread to ask,
but I wasn't actually out looking for an answer until I found this thread.
I'm really anal about organizing my computer, and this makes me really want to get my media into itunes to be able to use front row!

Thanks
Anna

Anna, you don't mention :apple:tv, but I'll go ahead and assume you're trying to watch your files that way. Unfortunately :apple:tv can't even begin to handle 1080p. If that's the case then your files will definitely have to be re-encoded down to 720p.

Reading your post again, I realize you may just want to watch .mkv files via FrontRow on your Mac. You may find the answer you need in the thread ".mkv revisited." Several ideas in there...

xXriderXx7
Jan 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
This is the culmination of hours of ripping:

annaj
Jan 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
Anna, you don't mention :apple:tv, but I'll go ahead and assume you're trying to watch your files that way. Unfortunately :apple:tv can't even begin to handle 1080p. If that's the case then your files will definitely have to be re-encoded down to 720p.

Reading your post again, I realize you may just want to watch .mkv files via FrontRow on your Mac. You may find the answer you need in the thread ".mkv revisited." Several ideas in there...

Thanks for responding!
You were right the second time - I'm just trying to watch using front row. I've got my macbook that I carry around with me everywhere.
After reading this thread, I got really excited at the prospect of watching HD through front row and actually did end up searching the forums for info after my post. I found the 'mkv revisited' thread and read through it. From the sounds of it, It is just too much trouble to change the audio on its own.
Last night I set my first HD file to encode - took almost 500 minutes, but it's a beauty!

Anyone care to share what hardware specs they are using to encode to .mp4, and how long it usually takes? I'm curious to know if mine's a normal time, and how much a faster machine would speed it up. I have a macbook 2.16GHz intel core 2 duo with 2GB ram. I used visualhub to encode an .mkv with DTS using the MP4 "standard" setting, limiting the file size to 4GB.

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted on this thread,
you've got me really excited about setting up my system to use it to it's full advantage. If this thread is still here down the line, I'll come back and post better screenshots, these are pretty lame. There's only 1 sad little HD file in there!

Anna

FleurDuMal
Jan 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
All moved onto my Macbooks newly installed 250GB hard drive (previously on an external Lacie drive):

-97 movies
-213 television episodes.

All encoded from DVD at either iPhone/iTouch preset settings on Handbrake or 1250kbs video + 192kbs audio (trying to re-encode my movies for iTouch/iPhone compatibility).

savar
Jan 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
Howsa bout pm'ing me those "sources" so you can share the appletv love? I thought about hooking up my xbox drive to my vista pc and find someway to rip it and then transfer it to my mac but that seems like alot of work when you can just pop the disc in, i just hate all the fan noise.

I heard a rumor that the Xbox drive is actually recognized in Mac OS X, but you can't do anything with it because DVD Player.app doesn't support HD.

Still I imagine there's an open source ripping app for HD DVD, right?

mac2thefuture
Jan 4, 2008, 11:49 AM
All moved onto my Macbooks newly installed 250GB hard drive (previously on an external Lacie drive):

-97 movies
-213 television episodes.

All encoded from DVD at either iPhone/iTouch preset settings on Handbrake or 1250kbs video + 192kbs audio (trying to re-encode my movies for iTouch/iPhone compatibility).

OK, please tell me how bundle TV series within a specific folder...looks nice and neat.

annaj
Jan 4, 2008, 03:04 PM
OK, please tell me how bundle TV series within a specific folder...looks nice and neat.

If you're talking about his first picture there - that's just a feature in iTunes,
he's got all the info in the meta date (show title and episode number) and then just sort it by show - it will but all the videos with that tv series name together, and then even sort it by episode number.

je1ani
Jan 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
Your guys movies can't be looking THAT great if you can tag them and put them in iTunes. My smallest 720p video file is Lion King at 3.86GB and encoding to MP4 only increases the size. my smallest 1080p is 8.71gb so i'd imagine you'd suffer a huge quality blow.

NightStorm
Jan 7, 2008, 02:02 PM
Your guys movies can't be looking THAT great if you can tag them and put them in iTunes. My smallest 720p video file is Lion King at 3.86GB and encoding to MP4 only increases the size. my smallest 1080p is 8.71gb so i'd imagine you'd suffer a huge quality blow.
What bitrate are your files?

Krevnik
Jan 7, 2008, 02:58 PM

Well, most of the movies in my collection are all 480p (DVD) resolution. I have a couple that are 720p, but getting a good 720p encode under 4GB is really, really tough.

At this point I am just ignoring HD encodes and sticking with 480p encodes.

krburrell
Jan 7, 2008, 06:37 PM
anyone know of a good tagging program similar to MetaX for windows? My :apple:TV is hooked up to an old PC so I can't run MetaX on it :(

Try tv tagger http://tvtagger.wordpress.com

It's not as nice or automated like MetaX but it does the job.

je1ani
Jan 8, 2008, 12:54 AM
Well, most of the movies in my collection are all 480p (DVD) resolution. I have a couple that are 720p, but getting a good 720p encode under 4GB is really, really tough.

At this point I am just ignoring HD encodes and sticking with 480p encodes.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I have been forming a very respectable DVD collection but I am now just getting started with HD and have about 10 movies so far in the past 3 days. i guess I will just keep ripping until a solution comes up. Anyways have any of you tried a hardware encoding device like the elgato usb encoder?

ironjaw
Jan 8, 2008, 06:27 AM
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I have been forming a very respectable DVD collection but I am now just getting started with HD and have about 10 movies so far in the past 3 days. i guess I will just keep ripping until a solution comes up. Anyways have any of you tried a hardware encoding device like the elgato usb encoder?

10 movies HD in 10. WOW...

Well I'm forming a DVD collection as well and in a way its actually quiet pleasing as I can myself decide the quality. Also I love the fact that the special features on the bonus dvd's are rippeable.

HD is appealing and well worth the search but I there are so many different bitrates and thus quality. I'm going to stick choosing my own bitrate and quality with DVDs

blybug
Jan 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
Mostly kids movies, but ends up working great when sync'ed to my :apple:TVmini...no more smudgy scratched DVDs!!
http://bly.cc/images/itunesmovies-mini.jpg (http://bly.cc/images/itunesmovies.jpg)

Every episode of Seinfeld and CYE. Also tagged our home movies into a "TV Show" (why isn't there a Video Kind for home movies??!!), now easily accessible with over 300 clips from over 15 years. Also great on the :apple:TV, there's never been an easier way to have such easy access to those memories!
http://bly.cc/images/itunestv-mini.jpg (http://bly.cc/images/itunestv.jpg)

MikieMikie
Jan 9, 2008, 04:22 PM
Also turned our home movies into a "TV Show" (why isn't there a Video Kind for home movies??!!)

How about cartoons? I'm a Warner Bros. fan, and I have to do them as "tv shows" too.

Sigh.

I'm almost ready to start getting cranky, demanding an update.

And no, not an update that puts $ into Steve's jeans by renting....

je1ani
Jan 11, 2008, 03:04 AM
Arghh I need to tag these
http://i2.tinypic.com/71qzc4j.png

ucflyboy
Jan 11, 2008, 09:50 AM
This is the culmination of hours of ripping:

I'm a noob with all this so forgive me if it's an elementary question. How do you get the black background? Thanks.

miTunes75
Jan 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
has anyone ever ripped Hairspray sucessfully? I'm still having a hard time with it.

sunfast
Jan 11, 2008, 10:16 AM
Storage:

Contents:

Can I ask how iTunes behaves with such a massive library? I guess it must be pretty rapid considering the disks are on FW800.

Also, do you have any back-up for your collection?

peeaanuut
Jan 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
I dont have as many movies but I have about 24000 audio tracks, about 2000 podcasts and over 500 tv shows and it works just fine. It is a little slow getting going if I start the software again but other than that it works fine.

ucflyboy
Jan 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
has anyone ever ripped Hairspray sucessfully? I'm still having a hard time with it.

I successfully used DVD Decrypter to rip Scarface on my Windows virtual machine. I had problems ripping it with MTR and Handbrake but DVD Decrypter did it the first time.

RichardF
Jan 17, 2008, 11:28 AM
Could you guys please let me know how to move movies I have in the Movies folder in iTunes to the TV Shows folder?

I try and drag a video but it just "goes back".

MikieMikie
Jan 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
Could you guys please let me know how to move movies I have in the Movies folder in iTunes to the TV Shows folder?

I try and drag a video but it just "goes back".

You need to set it as a "TV Show" type, which you can do by selecting the item, selecting "get information," and then setting its type to TV Show.

RichardF
Jan 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
You need to set it as a "TV Show" type, which you can do by selecting the item, selecting "get information," and then setting its type to TV Show.

Aha, thank you so much, this solved the problem.

What is supposed to go into the Episode ID field?

cuestakid
Jan 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
Try tv tagger http://tvtagger.wordpress.com

It's not as nice or automated like MetaX but it does the job.

that link goes to a windows download-can you give us a Mac one-it appears that the app is windows only

ClassicFan
Jan 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Here's my library...

eddyg
Jan 20, 2008, 05:03 PM
And here is mine...

http://img.skitch.com/20080120-gdrtehdet4gaq3cts47mwuhcuf.jpg

weldon
Jan 20, 2008, 05:06 PM
I love that Baby Einstein is playing :)

fivepoint
Jan 20, 2008, 09:40 PM
Guys,
It has been so fun and interesting reading through this thread. Some of you have some REALLY nice content floating around on your iTunes!

I need some advice. I am just about to start my DVD ripping experience... I just bought a brand new 2.8Ghz iMac with 4GB RAM and a 750GB hard drive, and am going to start ripping as soon as I get it!

Could you please break down the most important things to remember... the things that you wish you had known right away... the programs to start with... and basically all the lessons/advice you've learned along the way?

So far, I think I am going to be starting with Handbrake and the AppleTV preset, and that is about all I know. Any help you could offer would be most appreciated!

One specific question I had was regarding TV show DVDs. Is there a way to make Handbrake rip all of the episodes on the DVD without me coming back to it after each episode? Or is that not an option?

iTeen
Jan 20, 2008, 11:07 PM
And here is mine...

wow...i would give my middle nut for that collection,
very nice
Jake

eddyg
Jan 20, 2008, 11:17 PM
Guys,
One specific question I had was regarding TV show DVDs. Is there a way to make Handbrake rip all of the episodes on the DVD without me coming back to it after each episode? Or is that not an option?

Load the disk, then for each title add it to the queue - then encode them automatically one after each other.

You will want to be using MetaX for adding tags after encoding.

Note that I use CRF rather than the AppleTV preset, you get great results with less bits than the ATV preset. This is what I use (I run it from the CLI - because I like to automate things - I'm just perverse like that).

time $HB -i "$FROM/$dvd" -o "$TO/$dvd.mp4" -e x264 --quality 0.66 --ab 256 --markers -
-verbose --loosePixelratio --x264opts keyint=250:keyint-min=25:bframes=6:ref=3:subq=5:
me=umh:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=0:vbv-maxrate=4900:vbv-bufsize=3000:no-dct
-decimate=1 --subtitle-scan --native-language eng --subtitle-force --deblock --denoise
=weak --longest 2> "$TO/$dvd.log"

I would recommend that you not encode anything right now until the new ATV software is available so that the HB team can update the app to use whatever scheme Apple are using for DD 5.1.

Cheers, Ed.

radpanic
Jan 21, 2008, 06:32 PM
Anyone else get their artwork from here?

www.impawards.com

I have yet to search for a movie they didn't have a high-res poster for...

I only have about 60 gigs free on my MyBook Terabyte drive, full of 720p mp4s (just about time to buy more space). I only add meta tags to TV shows. I leave the tags off the movies so the poster art remains as large as possible when I'm browsing on the :apple:tv. I suppose one day I may add tags to the movies, but that's becoming less and less likely as my collection grows.

I started out with the intention of only storing major movie releases, that I'd want to watch multiple times. But I've found that the selection of available movies is so vast, I can't help but accumulate even the minor flicks, just because having 720p content at my fingertips with a few clicks of the Apple Remote is so dang sexy! I'd recommend this setup to anyone. The only drawback is all the hours of conversion from mkv->mp4, which is extremely slow on my 1.83 GHz Core Duo iMac.

Funny story, I went on vacation this Spring, and before leaving for 6 days I set up VisualHub to convert 30 mkv files while I was away. Click start, drive to the beach and stay for nearly a week, drive home, wake up my iMac's display. VisualHub is still chugging along strong, still working on 29 of 30. LOL. I almost had the timing down perfect.

Thanks for the awesome link and funny story!

Fazzl
Jan 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
I just ripped a few dvds using handbrake but when i try to use metaX, it says it could not or data would be lost. any help?

wmealer
Jan 23, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm a noob with all this so forgive me if it's an elementary question. How do you get the black background? Thanks.

Calling yourself a noob is an insult to noobs everywhere. :o

Uber-noob, maybe? Just kidding, I know we all have to start somewhere.

annaj
Jan 23, 2008, 11:15 PM
Calling yourself a noob is an insult to noobs everywhere. :o

Uber-noob, maybe? Just kidding, I know we all have to start somewhere.

if you're going to chastise the poor guy - at least try to answer his question :P
(unless someone else did, and I totally missed it)
if not, and you haven't figured it out on your onw - the black background is automatic when you are in the album view mode. It's the middle button, or you can change modes by using the view menu in the toolbar.

newappleboy
Jan 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
the black background is automatic when you are in the album view mode. It's the middle button, or you can change modes by using the view menu in the toolbar.

I've always wished this kind of view was an option outside of just the movies section. To be able to view CD album covers in this way under music or even TV shows grouped together until you choose to expand them. My biggest complaint is the lack of ability to truly customize how videos are grouped and viewed. You have 3 choices - movie, tv show, or music video. I have quite a few that are none of the above, but I just classify as movie since they're videos.

For instance, I have every US and UK "get a mac" ad in hi def added to iTunes, as well as the Japanese ones (sadly not hi def at all). Categorized as movies, this really adds a lot of unneeded fluff to scroll through when looking for something. It's also a lot of white on that pretty black background. lol

</rant> :p

f(A)t'kId
Jan 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
Should have about 700 DVD's by the end of the week. Breaking 1000 is going to take forever :eek: I use http://www.impawards.com/ to get my artwork and http://www.imdb.com/ to get the rest of the info.

zigmund555
Jan 24, 2008, 02:22 PM
Wow.

How many terabyte drives have you got for all those DVDs? :P

edit: Speaking of which, what are people using for external libraries? I'm just starting to rip my collection, which is around 60 movies. My iMac has the 350 gig drive so I'll likely be moving everything to external storage.

NightStorm
Jan 24, 2008, 02:43 PM
I recently purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ and 4 500GB hard drives (1.4TB usable space). My iTunes library lives on it, and I haven't had any problems with the setup yet.

MikieMikie
Jan 24, 2008, 04:30 PM
Wow.

edit: Speaking of which, what are people using for external libraries? I'm just starting to rip my collection, which is around 60 movies. My iMac has the 350 gig drive so I'll likely be moving everything to external storage.

I'm an old Seagate fan, so I have been sticking with FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB externals.

northy124
Jan 24, 2008, 05:26 PM
Should have about 700 DVD's by the end of the week. Breaking 1000 is going to take forever :eek: I use http://www.impawards.com/ to get my artwork and http://www.imdb.com/ to get the rest of the info.

700 Man you have alot LoL.

I'm currently converting mine right now will have a screen shot in 10 mins not big but getting there.

Fazzl
Jan 24, 2008, 09:14 PM
for tv shows, how do you add the descriptions and everything

f(A)t'kId
Jan 24, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow.

For my library I started off with a Western Digital 500 gig then that filled up so I bought another one. The 2nd WD 500 filled up so I bought a 1TB WD drive (from costco... price was right) and transferred all the videos from the 2 500's to the 1TB. Then started using the 500 again for movies then with the release of Leopard I bought another 1TB drive for movies and use my 2 500 GB's for time machine and video projects. So to make a story that didn't need to be long short I have 2 TB for movies. I can fit about 450 +/- movies per TB. :D

MikieMikie
Jan 25, 2008, 07:22 AM
for tv shows, how do you add the descriptions and everything

MetaX

Nothing better than MetaX. And it's free.

Scarpad
Jan 25, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm only doing movies encoded for the Ipod Touch. I figure it worth having a portable version onhand to watch, so the movies are between 700x800 mb big, Apple TV I only encode TV series as they have much more rewatchabilty than movies. I'd rather see a movie upconverted from DVD for max potential on my set

northy124
Jan 25, 2008, 11:54 AM
Heres mine waiting for New External HDD got 200 more movies.

I rip them with MagicDVD on my mom's windows PC and convert to divx then transfer to Mac then open them in QuickTime Pro and Export/Save As .Mov then transfer to iTunes and presto my movie is there. I have some of the latest unreleased to DVD movie such as Rambo. If you want link to site PM me.

Northy124

Fazzl
Jan 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
Where do you guys put the info for studio like warner or universal etc. My movies just have:
Name
Cast
Genre
Time

northy124
Jan 25, 2008, 12:17 PM
Right click the movie select get info then click info and enter info you want. I haven't worked out how to add a description though.

Northy124

Pic to what to look at (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99225&stc=1&d=1201285026)

Fazzl
Jan 25, 2008, 12:25 PM
Right click the movie select get info then click info and enter info you want. I haven't worked out how to add a description though.

Northy124

Pic to what to look at (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99225&stc=1&d=1201285026)

i know how to edit that basic stuff but where do add the studio and description etc?

northy124
Jan 25, 2008, 12:28 PM
If you looked you put studio name under Artist, Year under year. I can't figure out Descriptions though i tried comments but it didn't work. Also do you have a screen shot of what you have so far might help.

Northy124

northy124
Jan 25, 2008, 03:37 PM
How do you put age ratings in iTunes for movies and tv shows.

NightStorm
Jan 25, 2008, 03:58 PM
How do you put age ratings in iTunes for movies and tv shows.

MetaX will do all you want in terms of tagging if you're using a Mac...

northy124
Jan 25, 2008, 03:59 PM
It's doesn't work with .Mov only .MP4 (Bloody stupid)

Pandaboots
Jan 25, 2008, 04:45 PM
Questions regarding the handbrake settings:

If I convert my dvds to :apple:TV format, is there any reason I would want to do a second convert to iPhone/iPod? I've seen a few posts here that suggest I need to have 2 copies to work with each device. Is this just a size issue or an actual file type issue? Seems to me that :apple:TV version would work on any device. Thanks

Project
Jan 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
Sure,

Kevin

How did I not know this!!!

Thank you!

ironjaw
Jan 25, 2008, 05:02 PM
For descriptions you can use a free apple script from Doug's Apple Script just search for it. It's pretty easy to use.

Pandaboots: If you go to the Technical Specifications section under the Apple TV and iPhone/iPod Touch you will see that the:

Apple TV supports bitrates up to 5000 kbps and maximum resolution 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps but the

iPhone only up to 1500 kbps and maximum resolution 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second and under MPEG-4 video, up to 2500 kbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second

This means if you use Hanbrake preset AppleTV you will not be able to play the movie in your iPhone as the bitrate is too high and the device cannot support the resolution, nonetheless if you use the iPhone/iPod preset you will be able to use it on both devices but it will probably (and I say probably as I have not tried it) look not that amazing on your TV

NightStorm
Jan 25, 2008, 06:14 PM
For descriptions you can use a free apple script from Doug's Apple Script just search for it. It's pretty easy to use.

Pandaboots: If you go to the Technical Specifications section under the Apple TV and iPhone/iPod Touch you will see that the:

Apple TV supports bitrates up to 5000 kbps and maximum resolution 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps but the

iPhone only up to 1500 kbps and maximum resolution 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second and under MPEG-4 video, up to 2500 kbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second

This means if you use Hanbrake preset AppleTV you will not be able to play the movie in your iPhone as the bitrate is too high and the device cannot support the resolution, nonetheless if you use the iPhone/iPod preset you will be able to use it on both devices but it will probably (and I say probably as I have not tried it) look not that amazing on your TV
The iPhone can support the same DVD resolutions as the AppleTV, it is the advanced x264 features that make the AppleTV preset incompatible with iPods/iPhones.

Pandaboots
Jan 25, 2008, 06:36 PM
ok..thanks to you both. I understand now...maybe the next iPhone/iPod touch will be in line with :apple:TV.

williedigital
Jan 28, 2008, 08:27 AM
700 Man you have alot LoL.

I'm currently converting mine right now will have a screen shot in 10 mins not big but getting there.

I have approx. 2,000. Consumes 2.1 tb of space. I'm moving to a NAS solution soon.

hagar
Feb 7, 2008, 04:49 AM
I organize all my videos in iTunes with a tool called iTunes Drive-In. It automatically downloads metadata (including descriptions) and covers from IMDB and Amazon. TV Shows get season and episode numbers. And: it gives the option to put videos entirely in your library, or keep them on separate drives.
Overall, it saves me a lot of time.:D
it's available here (http://users.skynet.be/fc047310/DriveIn/Home.html)