PDA

View Full Version : which PB would u buy?

andyjamesnelson
Sep 16, 2003, 11:58 AM
hey i'm trying to work out which PB i should buy.. I'm gona sell my 1.25g4 mdd desktop and go portable, its not old so i should get a fairly good price for it.. anway i do video / audio / photoshop work and club visuals and live audio.. which laptop do you think i should get? i know at least i dont want the 17inch, to big an dreally over priced.. but the differences between the 12 and th 15 are small and subtle..which one would you get and why?

CrackedButter
Sep 16, 2003, 12:00 PM
Sadly i would get the 1.25 15" without the Superdrive and with a 60GB HDD, infact i am going to buy it once a friend of mine gives me some money he owes me.

plutnicki
Sep 16, 2003, 12:06 PM
Personally, I generally always buy the best system I can afford at the time I'm buying. Rarely will someone buy something like a computer and say (I wish I got a smaller HD, a slower processor, a smaller screen, etc...).

I think the 15" is the perfect size for a laptop. Small enough to be portable, large enough screen to use all day long if needs be.

If you're SURE you're going to buy a second display, then by all means, get the 12" and enjoy the portability. I'd like to buy a second display for use at home, but I know I won't do it, so I bought a 15".

Good luck!

Stelliform
Sep 16, 2003, 12:36 PM
I would go 15" biggest processor. I bought the superdrive in my TiBook and I haven't burned one DVD yet, (in 10 months) although I am about to start....

grapes911
Sep 16, 2003, 01:35 PM
If I were to get a pbook, it would be the 12". I like a smaller laptop to bring to class. But if I were going to let it just sit there, go for the 17". And if you going to use it as your primary system and still want to move it once and a while, go for the 15".

vollspacken
Sep 16, 2003, 06:21 PM
I think the 17" is waaaayyy to big so I recommend the high end 15"...

what a sad day for me, I don't have the top-of-the-line model anymore, but a happy day for all the people who ordered a new 'book today or will in the next weeks...

:( + :)

vSpacken

cb911
Sep 16, 2003, 06:35 PM
i worked on a 15" TiBook every day for the last year and a bit... the screen is a good size, for Photshop and visual work i would say definitely don't go for the 12".

and get the highest spec you can afford is good advice as well. also make sure you try one out in a store before you buy, just to make sure that you're happy with it. :)

tomf87
Sep 16, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by cb911
i worked on a 15" TiBook every day for the last year and a bit... the screen is a good size, for Photshop and visual work i would say definitely don't go for the 12".

I can't see using a 12" for Photoshop either. Go with at least 15" for that. With a 12", you don't have enough screen to work with a bunch of tool windows open.

KBFinFan
Sep 16, 2003, 07:32 PM
Go for the high end 15", and I say this because it is just what I ordered. I really have to go with the Goldilocks philosophy that 12" is too small 17" is too big... and 15" is juust right

QCassidy352
Sep 16, 2003, 08:42 PM
since you've already said you don't want the 17" (totally understandable!), go for the high end 15". The video card on the 12" is probably the only thing that really disappoints me about this update, whereas the Radeon 9600 kicks butt.

add to that the larger RAM capacity, bigger screen, lighted keyboard (I know, I know, but it's just so cool! :cool: ), and of course the faster processor... IMHO, the 12" is now the weak link in this line, really just because of that 32 VRAM.

mymemory
Sep 16, 2003, 09:12 PM
Lets talk between VJs.

Get the 12", fully loaded if you can and a separate 17" screen, may be not Apple.

Why is that?

I'm using a Pismo for video and VJing, I'm using Arakaos on one PB and Motion Dive 3 in the other one. I have two pismos G3 500.

Now, I only have 8mb of video ram. I sued once a 15" with 16MB of Vram and it was on real time allways, I used too to campure video in real time via firewire and modife the image with Videodelic, the output was in real time.

Why am I sugesting you the 12"?

First, you have 32MB of VRam, that is way too much for VJ software, then it si a very small portable computer, you can even have two of them in your backpack. My Pismos are heavy but way better than carru a tower+monitor.

Then, you do not need 15" monitor on stage, your preview needs are satisfy with a 12" screen.

In your studio, you can now have a LCD screen for your heavy work.

The only difference would be the amount of memory you add to your PB. If you get the 12" with superdrive, + the 17" screen, you are gonna be fine, better than having a 15" because you will ahve 2 screens and a more portable computer.

In my case I will get the 12" but I'm gonna look for another LCD non Apple display because they are too expensive.

I may even get the old 12" fully loaded, the price is good and the features that I am gonna use are the same. I may get a used one and a new 12". Who know, I'm on a Pismo and I'm happy:D

RubberChicken
Sep 17, 2003, 03:58 AM
You want the smallest full featured laptop. With the money saved you can buy an extra LCD monitor, saving your back and neck. Also get a proper mouse. Long term work on a laptop is ergonomic hell... year of the osteopath. Extra ram will be far more useful than extra speed. If you spec up the entry level 12in and the entry 15in as below, the 15in is heaps better value.

If you do not need to burn DVDs get a combo drive, they write CDRs and CDRWs much faster than the superdrive.

Option 1 - $3,922.00
12.1 in 1GHz PowerPC G4
1.256GB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 1GB SO-DIMM)
80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel) + Apple DVI to ADC Adapter
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

Of course, if portability is not such an issue $244 buys you much more. The 15in has a better graphics card, backlit keyboard option, and faster hard drive option. So...

Option 2 - $4,166.00
15.2 in 1GHz PowerPC G4
1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel) + Apple DVI to ADC Adapter

Sure, the 17" to same RAM and HD spec would be $742 less - but don't underestimate the poor ergonomics of a laptop. The extra monitor is worth it. If you really don't care about the monitor, then go for this, still $256 less than the 17in and this would fly...

Option 3 - $3,168.00
15.2 in 1GHz PowerPC G4
1.5GB DDR333 SDRAM - 512+1GB SO-DIMMs
80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

MattG
Sep 17, 2003, 05:08 AM
The high-end 15" is definitely the way to go.

Mine just shipped :D :D :D