Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
OK, back in early July I ordered a Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 computer. As expected, the ship date got pushed back a month. In the extra time, I reflected on my decision and looked at some benchmarks, I finally decided to get my own financing and purchased a 1.8GHz G5 yesterday. My reasoning was that I was tired of waiting for the Dualie and the benchmarks I looked at had the 1.8 and dual 2.0 not so far apart performance-wise. I used the money I saved to purchase some Klipsch digital 5.1 speakers. Well, the speakers hiss very noticeably whenever they come on. Furthermore, Apple just charged my Apple Loan and told me in person that my Dual would ship anytime between now and 9/22.

The dilemna is this: Should I cancel the Dual or return the 1.8 and the speakers and pay the restocking fees and keep the dual?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Return the 1.8. What no benchmark will tell you is the speed improvement in running a dual processor in the real world. This is because while your system and another app is tying up one cpu you have an additional free cpu to utilize with whatever other program you wish to run. I personally will never own another desktop computer with only one cpu.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
Return the 1.8. What no benchmark will tell you is the speed improvement in running a dual processor in the real world. This is because while your system and another app is tying up one cpu you have an additional free cpu to utilize with whatever other program you wish to run. I personally will never own another desktop computer with only one cpu.

I wonder if they would waive the restocking fee if I told them my dual had shipped...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by patseguin
I wonder if they would waive the restocking fee if I told them my dual had shipped...

They probably would if you told them that you had canceled your order for the dual and they shipped it anyways. Just let them no that you had originally changed your mind cancelled the dual and had bought a 1.8 do to the delays. Now that they have charged you for the dual and are shipping it even though you had cancelled it you wish to return the 1.8 or they will have to eat the dual. In that situation they would be smart to return the 1.8 because they will be making quite a bit more money by keeping your dual sale.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
They probably would if you told them that you had canceled your order for the dual and they shipped it anyways. Just let them no that you had originally changed your mind cancelled the dual and had bought a 1.8 do to the delays. Now that they have charged you for the dual and are shipping it even though you had cancelled it you wish to return the 1.8 or they will have to eat the dual. In that situation they would be smart to return the 1.8 because they will be making quite a bit more money by keeping your dual sale.

Well, the dual I bought online and the 1.8 at the local Apple Store. Will they do that even though they are (claim to be) independent from the online store?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by patseguin
Well, the dual I bought online and the 1.8 at the local Apple Store. Will they do that even though they are (claim to be) independent from the online store?

Was the Apple Pro Card of interest to you, since it is only available at the local Apple Store. I would imagine that with an online order you would need to call Apple directly. On the Apple Pro Card information card it says that you can return your CPU with 30 days no questions ask and no fee. You should talk to your local store salesman to see if they could intercede on your behalf, it is worth a try.

It is the Apple Pro Card that is causing me a dilema. I have been waiting to purchase a G5 since MWNY 2002. My Apple Care on my current G4 ended September 1st. The Mac Genius said that they will be offering additonal items to the card in the future. When I talk to the store and my wife, they both say go ahead and it sounds good to me!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
one little comment , the dual machine g5 was way in front in every bench i have seen far back are the 1.6 & 1.8 singles, now they are close in benches.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
one little comment , the dual machine g5 was way in front in every bench i have seen far back are the 1.6 & 1.8 singles, now they are close in benches.

I don't know what benchmark you are using but typically programs like XBench only test one processor.

Like I said previously though. Getting a dual 2.0 is very much like have two 2Ghz machine in one.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
http://barefeats.com/quick.html

Go there and scroll down till you reach the table. That compares price and performance of the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0

Well first off I never ever rely on barefeats. They are notorious for skewing the scores. In any case though even if you do hold them with some regard they did say the Dual/2.0 has the best bang for the buck.

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven

That's me with my new G5.

I got the ram from crucial. it's a big help.

Did you see the new gig sticks?

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Why thank you- Louis, I presume?

------

BTW- has anyone seen any better pricing for Gigabyte sticks for the G5?

I bought my 512 sticks for $91 each, but I would much rather buy the Gig sticks if they were around $200.
That way you could have 8 GIG of RAM!

Wheee!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Genie
Why thank you- Louis, I presume?

------

BTW- has anyone seen any better pricing for Gigabyte sticks for the G5?

I bought my 512 sticks for $91 each, but I would much rather buy the Gig sticks if they were around $200.
That way you could have 8 GIG of RAM!

Wheee!

1GB PC3200 chips are going to cost around $300 a piece unfortunately. The best place I have found to look for ram for PC or Mac is RamSeeker.com. It's Mac oriented but they seem to have the best prices so if you have a PC you just need to match it up against a Mac spec ram card.

Yes it's Louis.

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
You are very kind and knowledgeable.
What a wonderful forum this is where you can meet such good people.

(I enjoyed your photos on your .mac site too.)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Genie
You are very kind and knowledgeable.
What a wonderful forum this is where you can meet such good people.

(I enjoyed your photos on your .mac site too.)

Thank you, about the photos. I have a bunch more to add including some of my wedding.

This is a great place to interact with people on all topics not just Macs. Also if you give it a chance you will see how great it really is because the site is always flooded with Trolls and know-it-alls right around new product releases and expos. There is always someone on here willing to listen or help with a problem though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.