PDA

View Full Version : G5 and Alcatel ADSL modem??

MarkW19
Sep 16, 2003, 02:50 PM
Hi guys,

Just (finally!) got my G5 1.8.

But I'm having trouble getting my Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem working under OS 10.2.7 on it. It just doesn't see it, and I get the constantly flashing red "left eye".

It works fine on 10.2.6 on my G4 dual 867. Tried reinstalling and everything, still the same. There are no new drivers for it since March I think it is, so that's a no go. Anyone know what's different about 10.2.6 and 10.2.7 that could be causing the problems, or is it a G5 thing??

Either way, any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

MarkW19
Sep 16, 2003, 03:15 PM
If not, I have been having quite a few problems with the USB modem anyway.

So, may think about going down the ethernet route?

It's a standard home ADSL connection, dynamic IP address...how do I go about getting an ethernet modem/router or whatever I need? Is there a particular one (spec) I need to get? Does it need configuring in a certain way, or is it just as easy as "plug and play" like the USB speedtouch is MEANT to be? :p

Can anyone recommend a cheapish ethernet ADSL modem that will work on 10.2.7 on the G5 (or at least that I can return if it doesn't!). My connection is 512downstream, 256 upstream.

Mark

Jimong5
Sep 16, 2003, 03:25 PM
I found this one
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?productLearnMore=T5804&epi=Modem
Id say get one thats ethernet based, but I would also be wary since ive only heard bad things about D-Link... on the other habd, its the only one I could find.

MarkW19
Sep 16, 2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks!

Will give it a try to see if it works. Also got a D-link bluetooth and adaptor (getting bluetooth mouse soon!) and that seems fine. Although I guess it's not doing much :p

What's involved in configuring/setting up an ethernet modem for ADSL? I'm not on a network, just one Mac; am I right in thinking you don't need a driver/software for an ethernet modem?

Jimong5
Sep 16, 2003, 03:29 PM
My (Cable) ethernet modem experience:
1.) plug in ethernet
2.) Set the ethernet port to DHCP in system prefs
3.) Launch safari/whatever

MarkW19
Sep 16, 2003, 03:31 PM
LOL, so no ip addresses etc. to put in? Do you have to install a driver?

MarkW19
Sep 16, 2003, 03:34 PM
I think I'd be using PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet?) by the way, not DCHP.

Jimong5
Sep 16, 2003, 03:35 PM
no driver and the modem should automatically assign you an IP address. I know this is how mine works, but you may have different expericenes. Mine also uses DHCP. This is what lets the modem auto assign you an IP.

Lanbrown
Sep 16, 2003, 03:35 PM
Is the modem getting is power from the host machine? If so, that is your problem. There are quite a few systems/components that do not work well when they are powered by the host. If you want to keep the modem, just get a wall wart (power supply) to power it and be done. This is one of the areas that USB is awful at, powering devices.

Ethernet based routers require no driver, as the Ethernet functionality is built-in to the OS.

MarkW19
Sep 16, 2003, 03:39 PM
Lanbrown: it worked ok in 10.2.6 on my G4 dual 867 though?

There's nowhere to plug a powersupply in, unfortunately :)

Lanbrown
Sep 16, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
Is the modem getting is power from the host machine? If so, that is your problem. There are quite a few systems/components that do not work well when they are powered by the host. If you want to keep the modem, just get a wall wart (power supply) to power it and be done. This is one of the areas that USB is awful at, powering devices.

Ethernet based routers require no driver, as the Ethernet functionality is built-in to the OS.

That is why I said some systems/components. USB info.

USB is a specification and not a standard. There have been three specs of it, 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 and have used three different chipsets, UHCI, OHCI and EHCI. Testing is very problematic because of the various configurations, not to mention the various operating systems. If USB was taken to a standard body, it would have delayed its introduction as well as been redone to ensure compliancy/compatibility.