PDA

View Full Version : I've finally switched...

ZildjianKX
Sep 16, 2003, 04:33 PM
I have to admit, I've been an adament PC user for a very long time, ever since the days of Windows 3.X. As a kid I always wanted a mac, but I ended up with a Pentium 120 MHz instead. Since then, I've steadily made my own PCs, but recently at my IT support job at college I had my choice of computers to use, and I chose an old G4 Cube. Upon getting a two-button mouse, I have to admit OS X has been a joy to use, and an ease with X11 and my engineering classes.

As I see it, Windows is headed in the wrong direction. Windows XP is solid and crash resistant, but with the hassle of a registry and the complication of uninstalling some applications, its not a smooth experience... especially when you have semi-annual formattings to maintain proper speed. The amazing thing I've found in the mac world is that operating systems actually improve speed and performance. This may not be true in the future thanks to the G5, but its still amazing none-the-less.

With this said, I just purchased a 1.8 GHz G5 powermac with a Radeon 9600. I'm sure it will be a world of improvement over the cube I'm use to, once I actually receive it. I was very impressed by the simplicity of my iPod... so I hope my experience will be just as good with the tower. I still find it ironic that I'll be using a Microsoft mouse and keyboard since Apple won't make two-button mice or ergonomic keyboards ... but I guess I'll just have to live with that.

Now to find some equivalent speakers to the Apple Pro Speakers and I'll be happy...

bousozoku
Sep 16, 2003, 04:40 PM
Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with that machine.

I completely understand about the mouse. When I was getting my blue and white G3, I picked up a three button scroll mouse because I wasn't going to use the puck mouse.

I agree with you on WinXP. I used it and it is worthy of attention but unfortunately, it takes too much attention. It always seems to be helping you by making decisions that you may not want. Mac OS X, while not anywhere near complete, is just there to do whatever you need done.