PDA

View Full Version : Rentals Evidence In iTunes 7.5?

MacRumors
Nov 10, 2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

One user (http://evanseries.org/2007/11/07/video-rentals-coming-soon-to-itunes/) has discovered that iTunes 7.5 carries resources indicative of forthcoming movie rental and video on demand functionality.

rental-content
rental-bag
rbsync
source-rental-info
dest-rental-info
getvodaccountselectionlist
GET VOD ACCOUNT SELECTION LIST
supportsRentals

While MacRumors can certify that the strings specified are indeed new as of iTunes 7.5, the jury is still out as to whether they mean anything significant. Previous resource string discoveries have indicated native iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/09/iphone-games-not-necessarily/) and AppleTV (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/06/hints-from-itunes-7-1-appletv-games-and-international-movies/) games, neither of which have come true (yet?).

Perhaps the most promising sign that resource strings may hold value is when iTunes 7.0.1 resources indicated increased mobile phone functionality (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/13/itunes-7-resources-hint-at-apple-phone/) within a couple months of the release of the iPhone (though the strings did not specifically mention the iPhone).

Nonetheless, an incident occurred in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/08/itunes-movie-rentals-coming/) where Apple's iTunes problem reporting system revealed movie rental options. Apple has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/10/itunes-movie-rentals-at-2-99-for-30-days/) to have been in talks with Hollywood studios in regards to an online service that would launch this fall.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/10/rentals-evidence-in-itunes-7-5/)

longofest
Nov 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
Previous resource string discoveries have indicated native iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/09/iphone-games-not-necessarily/) and AppleTV (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/06/hints-from-itunes-7-1-appletv-games-and-international-movies/) games, neither of which have come true (yet?).

And no, you can't pick on that statement... the hacks don't count :p

puckhead193
Nov 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
i would love a rental service. I wouldn't mind paying like 2-4 bucks for a rental. Cost is about similar to blockbuster and i don't even have to rewind.... :p

Epicurus
Nov 10, 2007, 10:12 PM
This would be about the only way Apple could get me to use the Movie section on iTunes. Convenience of instant access/downloads, price of a rental, pumped straight to the TV via my trusty :apple:TV. Sounds like a good idea, if it pans out...

shen
Nov 10, 2007, 10:15 PM
how can they tell what is in 7.5? it is usable?

i have tried it on my mini, emac, and ibook, and it locks the entire system on all 3 if i try to use it at all......

first major problem with any Apple software ever, and it kills all 3 machines.

glad timemachine works, just roll it back!

jackc
Nov 10, 2007, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a potential Macworld announcement

caliguy
Nov 10, 2007, 10:29 PM
how can they tell what is in 7.5? it is usable?

i have tried it on my mini, emac, and ibook, and it locks the entire system on all 3 if i try to use it at all......

first major problem with any Apple software ever, and it kills all 3 machines.

glad timemachine works, just roll it back!

It isn't usable yet, but it's there so that Apple could use it in the future if they start selling movie rentals.

You have to go to the iTunes icon, control-click then "Show Package Contents" to Contents to Mac OS, then control-click iTunes and open w/ Text Edit.

Cloud9
Nov 10, 2007, 10:40 PM
I would go on strike too if I could get a cut of itunes movie rentals.

aswitcher
Nov 10, 2007, 10:40 PM
Smells like USA only to me...

basesloaded190
Nov 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
sounds interesting to me...i would love to see apple increase their movie selection and improve upon that within itunes but only time will tell

nagromme
Nov 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
Yes, please!

No movie purchases for me, and no subscriptions. But RENTALS - yes!

And then get the selection to match Netflix please :o

Sol
Nov 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
Rentals on iTunes would make a lot more sense than purchasing videos. The price of iTunes films does not compare well with the price of DVDs. If the price of rentals is low enough and Apple offers HD content even DVD collectors will have incentive to rent these films.

bdkennedy1
Nov 10, 2007, 10:58 PM
Well, they didn't put the strings in there just for fun.

I hope this is a feature they plan to add to the practically abandoned Apple TV.

ironring2006
Nov 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
Sure does, and I bet the first movie they offer is "Across the Universe", along with making that album exclusively available on iTunes, along with the Beatles catalog finally available online. Apple + Apple finally come together. Sosumi.

celloman
Nov 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
this would be sweeettt. but wouldnt people be able to hack it and get like, 5 copies for the price of 1?

iTeen
Nov 10, 2007, 11:04 PM
...don't even have to rewind.... :prewind???as in vhs???lol i haven't seen a vhs forever!!!

samh004
Nov 10, 2007, 11:16 PM
this would be sweeettt. but wouldnt people be able to hack it and get like, 5 copies for the price of 1?

They wouldn't be able to hack the iTunes store, but they might be able to strip the rental of it's copy protection... however most savvy computer users and even some not-so-savvy users can rip a DVD rental...

I hope if this happens that it lets you rent the movie for a period of days, not views. One view before it self destructs is useless, however it's likely to be the path Apple follows.

jecapaga
Nov 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
HD content would be killer. I'd finally have a use for my appletv beyond just using it for music currently. One can hope...

Decrepit
Nov 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
The continual discovery of strings in Apple software means one of two things.

1: The designers should be beaten with a stick for putting information into their application early.

Or, more likely,

2: They are a fantastic source of hype and conversation.

Either way, this might be the way that I rent a movie for the first time in at least 10 years.

ingenious
Nov 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
Movie rentals are a good idea for movies that I only want to see once or am not sure if i'll like.

they need to create an upgrade path, so if you've rented it, purchasing it is the original price-cost of rental.

ingenious
Nov 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
HD content would be killer. I'd finally have a use for my appletv beyond just using it for music currently. One can hope...

I would love HD content...

(now to get an HDTV... :D)

twoodcc
Nov 10, 2007, 11:29 PM

yes it does. even though i like the idea of rentals though

hotshotharry
Nov 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
Movie rentals are a good idea for movies that I only want to see once or am not sure if i'll like.

they need to create an upgrade path, so if you've rented it, purchasing it is the original price-cost of rental.

Now thats something i would bite at ! specially if they were good prices ! 10 bucks for a full movie ! :-) I'm in haha

ivan1234
Nov 10, 2007, 11:51 PM
This is very good news! I hope rentals will be available outside the US soon after its initial introduction. :D

chasemac
Nov 10, 2007, 11:51 PM
Rentals with a .mac account sounds like the way Apple would want to go with an option to buy of course.

puckhead193
Nov 11, 2007, 12:05 AM
rewind???as in vhs???lol i haven't seen a vhs forever!!!

well in the case drive back at midnight to return the dvd ;)

yzp
Nov 11, 2007, 12:27 AM
wow!

apple:apple: is really taking the world over, in doggy-style;)!

SirOmega
Nov 11, 2007, 12:53 AM
Would be a good idea, though I already have rentals on my TiVo with Amazon Unbox. What will Apple's service offer above Unbox? The only thing that would be compelling would be 720p HD content - something unbox doesn't offer. Of course, with H.264 at its disposal, Apple is in a better position to offer HD than Amazon (though HD TiVos have the hardware to decode H.264, they don't seem to have that turned on, and HD MPEG 2 files are like 4GB for an hour show, if not more).

GregA
Nov 11, 2007, 12:56 AM
I hope this is a feature they plan to add to the practically abandoned Apple TV.

I'd hope that we see upgrades in the AppleTV at the same time as offering iTunes rentals. Still.. I'm in Oz so iTunes rentals are unlikely to appear here for a while.

And I think everyone is right that HD makes sense (though I'd hope for an option for SD too - since I don't have a HDTV and it'd save bandwidth, and perhaps good for my iPod classic?)

MacFly123
Nov 11, 2007, 12:59 AM

Now THAT would be very sweet :D

MacFly123
Nov 11, 2007, 01:01 AM
So can anyone tell me why Apple doesn't do HD with their new Pro Res CODEC that makes it SD file sizes? What are the reasons they don't either technical or political or whatever? Can someone tell me please???

MacFly123
Nov 11, 2007, 01:03 AM
Also, whatever happened to the Apple TV update Steve said was coming soon? Any rumors on what that could include besides these rentals?

SirOmega
Nov 11, 2007, 01:07 AM
Also, whatever happened to the Apple TV update Steve said was coming soon? Any rumors on what that could include besides these rentals?
Software or hardware upgrade? I suppose they could use a slightly more modern CPU and GPU for h264 decoding and upgrade it to 1080/30p from 720.

Mr. Zorg
Nov 11, 2007, 01:08 AM
That does seem like something they would do given the current ability to upgrade song(s) to full albums, and to plus versions...

Darkroom
Nov 11, 2007, 01:19 AM
perhaps this will never happen (or perhaps it should), but i think it would be great if there was an option to watch "new" movies thru iTunes... sure the big screen experience is way better than the small screen, but i'm sure a 24 hour rental of a new, in-theaters-now movie for $9.99 would work for lots of people, and could further legitimize the Apple TV.

samh004
Nov 11, 2007, 01:20 AM
Rentals with a .mac account sounds like the way Apple would want to go with an option to buy of course.

You really think an additional $99.95 a year for a .Mac account will help launch a rental store ? Also, .Mac's features are mainly found on the Mac, I'd imagine a lot of Windows users use iTunes, so where would the benefit of a .Mac account be for them ?

perhaps this will never happen (or perhaps it should), but i think it would be great if there was an option to watch "new" movies thru iTunes... sure the big screen experience is way better than the small screen, but i'm sure a 24 hour rental of a new, in-theaters-now movie for $9.99 would work for lots of people, and could further legitimize the Apple TV.

It's something that could happen in the future, however I don't see it any time soon, unless Apple can convince and follow through to show the movie studios they wont lose revenues this way, but in fact make more money, it's not likely to change from the traditional cinema any time soon.

un1ty
Nov 11, 2007, 02:12 AM
If they start offering rentals through iTunes with a good selection I'll buy an appleTV the same day. I want to give Apple more of my money but I just can't justify an appleTV until they offer something like this.

cloudnine
Nov 11, 2007, 02:21 AM
Not to sound like an arrogant ass, but why is this on the front page? This is hardly news... and I'm also confused as to why people are so amazed by it. What makes rentals so much more appealing than buying the movie? 1 or 2 views for a few bucks vs. having it for good and paying a few bucks more... seems strange to get excited about rentals.

Kingsly
Nov 11, 2007, 02:23 AM
Offer iTunes movie & TV rentals and I will throw down $$$'s for an :apple:TV tomorrow. :cool:

Analog Kid
Nov 11, 2007, 03:02 AM
When the iTunes Radio rumor hit, my assumption was a subscription service. This would seem to dovetail with that.

How big are these HD files everyone seems so eager to get? Seems to me we're a ways away from being able to take feature length HD downloads mainstream. I've bought a couple features from iTMS and even at standard def they downloads took a good long while.

I don't have the fastest speeds around (1.5MBps) but I'd guess that's around average, not to mention the data throttling the big ISPs have started implementing.

And, as long as the topic has come up again, I'll renew my pitch for $4 to own. Kill off Blockbuster et. al, and let the studios keep the revenue per viewer rather than selling one disc to a rental store for life.

pamon
Nov 11, 2007, 03:14 AM
i'd be all in for an itunes movie rental service if it happens. Being able to download a rental to my mac or apple tv would be sweet, or even port it to the iphone/itough/ipod interface and then after it expires, sync it back and have it autodelete... let's launch it steve-o

billabong
Nov 11, 2007, 03:34 AM
AppleTV would do so much better if this comes true...

If they do it, it must be done not only in the US but Uk & Canada too... We still don't even have TV shows or movies in canada... :(

whynot83706
Nov 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
i would love a rental service. I wouldn't mind paying like 2-4 bucks for a rental. Cost is about similar to blockbuster and i don't even have to rewind.... :p

Its probably going to be $2.99 at the minimum.....

dadudeness
Nov 11, 2007, 05:12 AM
that would be really cool! i hope they dont lock out all non-americans
(i wanna use it in germany, too! :D )

NoAverageJoe
Nov 11, 2007, 06:37 AM
There were two properties that I found particularly intriguing.

source-rental-info
dest-rental-info

I know this can't be true, but how cool would it be to allow the users to rent out the videos they have purchased ? Seems silly at first, but let's say I buy a video from the iTunes store at $15 and my friend at work wants to "borrow" it. Maybe he can do it legally for 30 days and for about $2. If you could make money by renting out the videos you bought on iTunes, wouldn't you be more likely to buy iTunes movies? (I'm sure this is impossible legally, but still something to make you go "hmmm")

zedsdead
Nov 11, 2007, 06:47 AM
Rentals are a great idea, but they need to come with HD and better Surround Sound...this might help calm the problems with the Movie Studios...

The Apple TV itself needs other updates (how about the cool new Picture Screen Savers that are in Leopard!)...like lyrics, iTunes store, Remote Use with iPhone/iPod Touch, wireless Streaming to iPhone/iPod Touch, just to name a few.

I love my Apple TV, but it needs a software update desperately...I am thinking Macworld '08. I also get the feeling iTunes '08 will be coming there as well.

dadudeness
Nov 11, 2007, 07:07 AM
as long as HD-DVD/Blueray burners are expensive like this days the files are tooooo big for letting them sleep on HDDs. think about having bought 20 HD-movies. where are you going to store them?

if i have the choice ill pick the standard DVD version.

g-7
Nov 11, 2007, 07:54 AM
I don't care about movie rentals. First make the iTunes Store available in Poland.

AmbitiousLemon
Nov 11, 2007, 07:57 AM
Cost is about similar to blockbuster and i don't even have to rewind.... :p

Thats why I bought myself a couple of these. (http://www.dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1)

GeekLawyer
Nov 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
There were two properties that I found particularly intriguing.

source-rental-info
dest-rental-info

This would most likely be related to the ability to view rented movies on another device, such as an iPod Touch, iPhone, or even AppleTV, if there's still no ability to buy/rent content from the iTS on the AppleTV itself.

Steve has called the AppleTV a "hobby" project for Apple. I wish I'd known that before plunking down the cash for one, day one. It feels a little more like an orphaned and/or abandoned child at this point. Of all the Apple gear I've bought in the past two years, it's been the only device that's actually disappointed me and caused me to think was this purchase a mistake?

Far cheaper alternatives are available to do what the AppleTV does for me: send music to my stereo, look at pictures on the HDTV, and watch standard-def videos.

A rental scheme from iTunes that comes close to DVD quality and makes Netflix obsolete would be a welcome announcement at Macworld.

MrSmith
Nov 11, 2007, 08:14 AM
If I can rent/download for about the same price as the store that's one more reason I won't have to get off my big fat aaass. :cool: Now if Apple expands a back catalogue as quickly as they stock new titles I'll be sorted on the screen-entertainment front. (The back catalogue being a lot cheaper to rent, of course.)

rewind???as in vhs???lol i haven't seen a vhs forever!!!

Literally, judging by your username, lil' squirt ;)

Not to sound like an arrogant ass, but why is this on the front page? This is hardly news... and I'm also confused as to why people are so amazed by it. What makes rentals so much more appealing than buying the movie? 1 or 2 views for a few bucks vs. having it for good and paying a few bucks more... seems strange to get excited about rentals.

How often do you watch a movie? Do you want the boxes hanging around collecting dust? Most people don't, I think you'll find. Even for the same price.

...I know this can't be true, but how cool would it be to allow the users to rent out the videos they have purchased ? Seems silly at first, but let's say I buy a video from the iTunes store at $15 and my friend at work wants to "borrow" it. Maybe he can do it legally for 30 days and for about $2. If you could make money by renting out the videos you bought on iTunes, wouldn't you be more likely to buy iTunes movies? (I'm sure this is impossible legally, but still something to make you go "hmmm")

Illegal or not, you'd really charge a friend? Do you 'rent' out your CDs to friends, too (passing on their payments to the artist, of course)?

Cleverboy
Nov 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
I think the rumored price point to-date has been $3-$4 for a 30 day rental.

I would say that is an EXCELLENT value, and I'd certainly do it. Netflix effectively allows the EXACT same result, if you sign up for their LOWEST account for a month, and then CANCEL. Netflix is allowing a $4.99 plan that limits rentals to 2 per month. You can effectively rent movies at 1-2 for 30 days at $4.99. This is perfect for some people.

While XBox Live allows you (and I may be wrong on this) $2-$6 for HD rentals and/or TV shows (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/22/xbox-live-video-marketplace-is-live-6-hd-rentals/), there's this "24 hour" thing after you first play some of it that I think is totally ridiculous (don't you DARE do anything else except watch this movie once you start!) The only reason people need more time with movies is because we all lead busy lives. Downloading a movie, and then watching it a couple of times over the course of a month is a great value, and opens the door for people to rent the same movie again in the future without ANY feeling of anxiety (ie. I don't want to rent it and have to pay extra if something comes up during my "viewing period"). For downloadable content, stuff like that leads to piracy (or local re-recording in any case). How many people ROUTINELY record Pay-Per-View?

~ CB

jonnylink
Nov 11, 2007, 09:07 AM
meh.

I feel like video on iTunes is gonna get worse before it gets better. (though worse will probably come in the form of much better video options everywhere else, so it will just be worse by contrast)

iTunes could have a great video system, but Hollywood is hamstringing Apple.

diamond.g
Nov 11, 2007, 09:16 AM

How so? As far as I know Hollywood would love for you to pay for every viewing (OG DIVX, rentals, etc). Apple feels that we want to own our movies, and not have to pay everytime we want to watch a movie.

sndcj1
Nov 11, 2007, 09:22 AM
You get a queue. Once you "return" your video, another one downloads automatically. You don't "return" the video, you don't get another one, but you can play the same one again and again and again (and again if you have a 3 year old). I would think they could even make it so the next video in your queue downloads, just not completely, or without the registration bit that allows you to play it, so when you return the last movie, your next on is there quickly.

Cleverboy
Nov 11, 2007, 09:41 AM
You get a queue. Once you "return" your video, another one downloads automatically. You don't "return" the video, you don't get another one, but you can play the same one again and again and again (and again if you have a 3 year old). I would think they could even make it so the next video in your queue downloads, just not completely, or without the registration bit that allows you to play it, so when you return the last movie, your next on is there quickly.True, but that would require a monthly subscription, which I think they might be averse to doing.

~ CB

stearel
Nov 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
I have found it peculiar in iTunes that the left side-bar has the category "STORE" with only one item under it, the "iTunes Store." Perhaps this would be the "iTunes Rental Store"

That seems kind of wacky though, because my intuition tells me that apple would just put a "Rent Movie" button beside the "Buy Movie" button in the iTunes Store.

tcoleman
Nov 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
Not to sound like an arrogant ass, but why is this on the front page? This is hardly news...

Isn't the site called Mac Rumors? :confused:

bluedevil14
Nov 11, 2007, 12:04 PM
hopefully while apple is being flexiable in pricing, we can get nbc back

Peace
Nov 11, 2007, 12:10 PM
hopefully while apple is being flexiable in pricing, we can get nbc back

Interesting you should bring that subject up.

I was watching the beta NBC Videos via PeeCee and NBC says a Mac version is coming soon.

Could NBC and Apple be working something out ?

mfethers
Nov 11, 2007, 01:19 PM
If Apple can swing online rentals of HI-DEF content, that would be a huge step forward for the little black sheep of the Apple hardware line, appleTV. It's been clear to me for some time that the reason the appleTV exists is for future use. Get the 'beta' product out, work out the kinks (remember the original iPod was limited to Macs, it's own test beta, and no iTunes store), then unveil the real first-gen product w/ content you can't get any other way.

That would make me purchase an appleTV, and would in the long run render the HD-DVD / Blue Ray argument null and void.

Bonte
Nov 11, 2007, 01:52 PM
Would the rentals also be region locked or finally worldwide? I don't know if it makes any difference with normal sales but i hope so.

iTeen
Nov 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
Literally, judging by your username, lil' squirt ;)

wow...lol i am 15 almost 16. sry for the comment. i was sortof tired when i posted that.:o:o:rolleyes:

Cleverboy
Nov 11, 2007, 02:11 PM
Interesting you should bring that subject up.
I was watching the beta NBC Videos via PeeCee and NBC says a Mac version is coming soon.
Could NBC and Apple be working something out ?First, considering that Mac developers don't need to work with Apple to release a product on OS X, I don't think it immediately speaks to anything, especially if it doesn't mention iTunes. If you check the DRM being used, its far more likely that Microsoft is promising enhanced Mac compatibility for its licensees. Netflix is the same way with their instant playing options, and have begun mumbling Mac support in the future. Even if Microsoft only supports Intel Macs, I'm sure its in their best interest to play ball.

~ CB

gnasher729
Nov 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
The continual discovery of strings in Apple software means one of two things.

1: The designers should be beaten with a stick for putting information into their application early.

Or, more likely,

2: They are a fantastic source of hype and conversation.

Either way, this might be the way that I rent a movie for the first time in at least 10 years.

Or someone just has a good laugh. A few people sitting together saying "so what would be some good bits that we can put in for the guys at MacRumors?"

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
meh.

I feel like video on iTunes is gonna get worse before it gets better. (though worse will probably come in the form of much better video options everywhere else, so it will just be worse by contrast)

iTunes could have a great video system if you could put the movie files in a different damned location. Sakes alive. When the seemless track thing disappeared, this became my biggest pet peeve about iTunes.

And yea, rental is a good thing. But I'd like the rentals stored on my HD and not buffered, stored in a different location than my music of course. And cheap. So of the three I want good and cheap.

Vmaatta
Nov 11, 2007, 02:48 PM
Great news if it realizes.. But I'm still waiting for iTunes to expand regular movie and TV sales here to Finland :mad:. I'd be happy to buy some movies and season passes... even happier to rent the movies. Maybe they could also finally bring some proper HD material available. Oh well.. rant over ;).

Ha ze
Nov 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
I have found it peculiar in iTunes that the left side-bar has the category "STORE" with only one item under it, the "iTunes Store." Perhaps this would be the "iTunes Rental Store"

That seems kind of wacky though, because my intuition tells me that apple would just put a "Rent Movie" button beside the "Buy Movie" button in the iTunes Store.

I think even more weird is that in the Movie Section in the store, lower left hand corner says "More In Movies" and only lists Disney, Theatrical Trailers, and Soundtrack. Aren't there 3 or 4 studios in iTunes? Why does only Disney get a specific section?

Cleverboy
Nov 11, 2007, 04:30 PM
I think even more weird is that in the Movie Section in the store, lower left hand corner says "More In Movies" and only lists Disney, Theatrical Trailers, and Soundtrack. Aren't there 3 or 4 studios in iTunes? Why does only Disney get a specific section?Level of commitment? Steve's on the board? I get the impression that they want to make sure Disney gets good sales and that this remains effective for them. Everyone else... Meh. Apple doesn't even want you using "search" to find movies by "Lionsgate" or "Paramount Pictures". It's a big cover up.

~ CB

boss1
Nov 11, 2007, 05:21 PM
This may or not be obvious but I'll point it seeing as no one else here has...

getvodaccountselectionlist
GET VOD ACCOUNT SELECTION LIST

...vod...

It seems Apple has already chosen a name for this future service. "Video On Demand"

zwida
Nov 11, 2007, 05:29 PM
This may or not be obvious but I'll point it seeing as no one else here has...vod....

It seems Apple has already chosen a name for this future service. "Video On Demand"

Video on demand is used quite loosely for all sorts of services along these lines. I don't think this is any sort of brand, just a descriptor.

FreeState
Nov 11, 2007, 05:57 PM
I don't think this is any sort of brand, just a descriptor.

Correct VOD is a generic term now (first used 27 years ago).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_on_demand

MacinDoc
Nov 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
Well, I hope it's true, and available in Canada. I would buy an Apple TV and rent videos from iTunes.

The Toon Master
Nov 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
A nickel this is an England Exclusive, due to the WGA Strike

I doubt Apple will do this until the Strike is over, since this would really piss off the WGA people..

But i hope this happens. Movie rentals are 4.50 a pop, and a 40min drive to and from, no thank you

MrSmith
Nov 11, 2007, 08:27 PM
wow...lol i am 15 almost 16. sry for the comment. i was sortof tired when i posted that.:o:o:rolleyes:
No offence intended. I was just joking with you. :)

Porchland
Nov 11, 2007, 10:55 PM
Well, they didn't put the strings in there just for fun.

Recall that when Apple decided to report its iPhone revenues over a 24-month period to allow it to comply with accounting rules (Sarbanes-Oxley) when adding new features to an already-sold product, it did the same for :apple:tv.

Apple will really have to beef up the library -- a lot -- for a rental service to amount to much more than a research project. Apple is going to have to get significantly more legitimacy from the studios to have any sort of movie future. So far, the iTS movie selection has consisted mostly of year-old-or-older movies the studios have tossed out to see what would happen. The answer so far is not much.

Galaxius
Nov 12, 2007, 12:56 AM
At the moment, Netflix has a stranglehold on the rental market (Blockbuster recently ditched they're Total Access plan) with their way of renting, get a movie the next day without going anywhere or even downloading a movie offline. If Apple could match what Netflix does but somehow can make it cheaper than $10/month for unlimited movies then they could possibly knock Netflix out, or at least grab some profit.

Also, I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but if there was HD movies of some sort people wouldn't have to pick a side and still get HD quality movies on Apple TV.

BenRoethig
Nov 12, 2007, 07:30 AM
A Subscription rental service similar to vongo would be nice. So would be adding the other major movie studios

IzzyJG99
Nov 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
If apple does a rental service I think it's just a matter of time before it implodes in on itself. All file formats that are "locked" can be unlocked and duplicated quite easily.

ATimson
Nov 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
Would the rentals also be region locked or finally worldwide? I don't know if it makes any difference with normal sales but i hope so.
The rentals will almost certainly be region locked as the normal sales are, due to different distributors having difference licenses in different regions of the world (as with music).

GeekLawyer
Nov 12, 2007, 05:11 PM
If apple does a rental service I think it's just a matter of time before it implodes in on itself. All file formats that are "locked" can be unlocked and duplicated quite easily.

Yes, and I have a friend who rips a copy of everything he rents from Netflix. We're past the point where DRM is meaningful, useful, or effective. I know the studios are the hangup, but Apple would be better off with a deal where they license the content, pay the distributor, and allow us the option of renting or buying it, depending on our needs.

John Musbach
Nov 14, 2007, 12:03 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

One user (http://evanseries.org/2007/11/07/video-rentals-coming-soon-to-itunes/) has discovered that iTunes 7.5 carries resources indicative of forthcoming movie rental and video on demand functionality.

While MacRumors can certify that the strings specified are indeed new as of iTunes 7.5, the jury is still out as to whether they mean anything significant. Previous resource string discoveries have indicated native iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/09/iphone-games-not-necessarily/) and AppleTV (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/06/hints-from-itunes-7-1-appletv-games-and-international-movies/) games, neither of which have come true (yet?).

Perhaps the most promising sign that resource strings may hold value is when iTunes 7.0.1 resources indicated increased mobile phone functionality (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/13/itunes-7-resources-hint-at-apple-phone/) within a couple months of the release of the iPhone (though the strings did not specifically mention the iPhone).

Nonetheless, an incident occurred in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/08/itunes-movie-rentals-coming/) where Apple's iTunes problem reporting system revealed movie rental options. Apple has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/10/itunes-movie-rentals-at-2-99-for-30-days/) to have been in talks with Hollywood studios in regards to an online service that would launch this fall.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/10/rentals-evidence-in-itunes-7-5/)
Hmm, this is a good idea. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they decide to protect the rented content from pirating.