PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Edu Question

applemacdude
Sep 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
What happens when you order a mac through the apple store through edu? What information dows apple need from you to do the order? Teacher and student

Waluigi
Sep 16, 2003, 09:01 PM
They didn't ask me any information when buying my Dual 2GHz G5 through the education store at all.

--Waluigi

applemacdude
Sep 16, 2003, 09:14 PM
Sudent? They didn't even call you?

Soma_Addict
Sep 16, 2003, 09:21 PM
I just got off the phone about an hour ago with the apple store. I ordered a new powerbook. I ordered on the Education discount and all they asked is what school I go to.

Waluigi
Sep 16, 2003, 09:23 PM
I went to the apple store in my town, and had the apple guy take me step by step through the ordering on the education store online. He never asked me for proof of my educational status. I work for a public school and am in charge of all the computers in the district (well, my boss is really in charge, I just like to think I am). No one called my house to ask for proof, and they didn't even ask whom my employer was or if I was a student/professor/teacher. Thatís just my experience.

--Waluigi

Powerbook G5
Sep 16, 2003, 09:39 PM
All I did was go to apple.com, go to Education, Apple Store for Education, then put the zip code of my school in and clicked on it from the list and that was it. They seriously do not ask for any proof or anything. I don't think anyone does, in fact. I remember ordering a Dell for my parents over the summer and the only difference between ordering it through the education pricing is by clicking the link that says "for education" and you instantly get a lower base price along with lower upgrade pricing for everything. It's nice...the PowerBooks are an extra $300 cheaper through education and to upgrade to th 5400 rpm HD was an extra $80 cheaper!

QCassidy352
Sep 16, 2003, 09:44 PM
I have a question too... does the rule that you can only buy one CPU per year on an edu discount still apply? Do they check? Do they care?

I ask because earlier this year I used my edu discount to buy an emac for my mother and brother. And before you say I shouldn't have done that, he's a student and she's a teacher, so it was totally legit. The only reason I used my discount was that I was the one who went to the Apple Store, so it was just easiest.

Now I'm considering buying a computer myself... will I be able to buy it with an edu discount? It would be on a different credit card than was used for the emac, if that matters...

edit: hmm, seems I will not have any trouble at all, eh?

Powerbook G5
Sep 16, 2003, 09:50 PM
It doesn't seem like it would be any trouble, but then again, this is only the second Mac I have ever purchased in the 4 1/3 years I've been a Mac user.

charlesc
Sep 17, 2003, 01:49 AM
When I bought my dual 1ghz quicksilver in feb 2002, and my rev a 12" pb three months ago, both times the fashion valley apple store asked me for proof I was attending my school. The first time I showed them my student id, the second time with the powerbook I forgot my ID but had a copy of my class schedule. Just depends I guess.

MacBandit
Sep 17, 2003, 02:22 AM
I've made several purchases with the online edu store both as a student and not. The only thing that is important is that either a student pays for it or it is shipped to the students name. Nothing else matters.

Powerbook G5
Sep 17, 2003, 08:30 AM
Yeah, they can't really ask that you show proof online. I just sent the bill home and the computer to the school. I really hope it gets here, though. A lot of people get confused when delivering to this address since the school has such an odd one. Not to mention, the mailroom takes forever to put the package slip into your mailbox so even though I will get my PowerBook next week, knowing the school, it will be two weeks before they tell me it's here. :mad:

applemacdude
Sep 17, 2003, 11:15 AM
So i am not a college student can i "cheat" the system? My cousin is a teacher can i use her or is it not necessary? Thanks a lot though

Powerbook G5
Sep 17, 2003, 11:43 AM
When I got my PowerBook G3 in 1999, I was just a high school student. The guy on the phone asked me what college I was thinking of attending and I just mentioned a random college off the top of my head and he went "Oh! My cousin went there. Really cool, all right, so anything else you want with your education discount?" I really doubt they can be that strict about it if they don't really care. At the Apple Store in my mall they even give it to me automatically without even asking on top of my normal mall discount since I worked there for a year at the info desk.

MacBandit
Sep 17, 2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
So i am not a college student can i "cheat" the system? My cousin is a teacher can i use her or is it not necessary? Thanks a lot though

Yes you can use your cousin no problem. For example I always work my order up online but then place the order with a live person over the phone. This ensures the order is done right and there is recourse in case something is screwed up. In any case I haven't been a student for a while and I explained that to the person I was talking to but also told them that I had a friend that was. They said no problem we'll just include there name on the shipping label.

Just be sure your cousin agrees to it because it means they can't buy a computer at the educational discount until next school year.

stoid
Sep 17, 2003, 04:51 PM
Apple's education discount is like IRS audits.

The man power to check every education order would more than eat up profits catching people who fradulantly purchased through their education program. So they've found a middle ground between checking and trusting.

They won't nessecarily ask for confirmation on the spot, but there's a chance they will "audit" you, and so you'd better be able to show proof that you are a student or faculty member. Just like you can cheat on your taxes, and the IRS might not notice, but if you do cheat and are caught it's a real mess and commotion for everyone involved.

applemacdude
Sep 17, 2003, 05:23 PM
So what happens if i get cought? Criminal actions?

MetallicPenguin
Sep 17, 2003, 05:29 PM
Do you have to be a college student or can you be K-12? It asks if you are one one of the below people, but I've heard of a lot of high school students buying through there. I'm confused.

TEG
Sep 17, 2003, 05:37 PM
As a student, you must be a College Student, A Home School Student, or just been Accepted to a College.
Hope that Helps,

TEG

MacBandit
Sep 17, 2003, 06:33 PM
So what happens if i get cought? Criminal actions?

As long as the order was done through someone that was a student you are perfectly legal. All this requires is asking the student permission and having their name on the order someplace. That simple.

applemacdude
Sep 17, 2003, 07:16 PM
But if you get cought not being a college student?

stoid
Sep 17, 2003, 07:19 PM

Try it and if you get caught, tell us what they do!! :p

MacBandit
Sep 17, 2003, 08:10 PM

If you aren't in college and you don't know someone in college then it would be theft.

Vector
Sep 17, 2003, 08:48 PM
When i ordered my wallstreet in 99' i had to send proof of enrollment, but that was 4 years ago.

Powerbook G5
Sep 17, 2003, 09:01 PM
When I ordered my Lombard in 99 all the guy asked me was what college I was thinking of applying to (I mentioned I was still in high school but going to college after graduation) and that was it. No other proof was needed besides that simple question. This time around I did it online so there was no way they could ask, but then again, I put "Flagler College" on the shipping label so I guess that's a big tip off that I am a college student.

crees!
Sep 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
By Apple accepting "unconfirmed student orders" wouldn't that just boost their overall sales in the education department, thus their edu sales figures would look better?

Powerbook G5
Sep 17, 2003, 09:27 PM
Maybe. All I cared about was the fact that I got a 1.25 GHz 15" with 1 RAM module, a 5400 RPM drive, and .Mac for less than retail price along with free shipping when I used the education discount. It sure made me happy!

QCassidy352
Sep 17, 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Just be sure your cousin agrees to it because it means they can't buy a computer at the educational discount until next school year.

wait... this is what I was asking about... I thought they didn't really check if you'd used a discount in the past year?

Gus
Sep 17, 2003, 09:52 PM
They don't check when you purchase it, but if you have to call for repair or help, then you will be asked who's account it is, and then they can start to sniff you out. If it's a family member, it's not such a big deal.

There's also that nofty registration window at first log in. If you click "Finish" then it sends reg info to Apple.

Regards,
Gus

charlesc
Sep 17, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
wait... this is what I was asking about... I thought they didn't really check if you'd used a discount in the past year?

I'd like to know if anyone has pulled off more than one perchase per school year as well? The 12" screen on this powerbook just isn't big enough for some of my projects and I've been thinking of selling it and upgrading to one of the new 15"s or even the 17". Don't really want to wait a year to get the edu discount again though.

Powerbook G5
Sep 17, 2003, 10:24 PM
If I had the kind of money to purchase more than one computer per year, I wouldn't be as worried about the education discount! That makes me wonder, though...is that just for computers or all things purchased? I need to get a lot of OS X software now since this new PowerBook is not only my first G4, but will also mark my switch from OS 9 to OS X and I have *no* OS X software at all.

MacBandit
Sep 17, 2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Gus
They don't check when you purchase it, but if you have to call for repair or help, then you will be asked who's account it is, and then they can start to sniff you out. If it's a family member, it's not such a big deal.

There's also that nofty registration window at first log in. If you click "Finish" then it sends reg info to Apple.

Regards,
Gus

Once the computer is purchased it doesn't matter who owns it. I've not been a student on both of my last two student purchases through my girlfriend now wife and I they have always been registered to me and I have even filed repairs with AppleCare.

All that matters and I repeat is that it was purchased with the name of a student attached to the order in some way. That's all that matters. I've had the Apple sales associates on the phone explain this to me.

charlesc
Sep 18, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
If I had the kind of money to purchase more than one computer per year, I wouldn't be as worried about the education discount! That makes me wonder, though...is that just for computers or all things purchased? I need to get a lot of OS X software now since this new PowerBook is not only my first G4, but will also mark my switch from OS 9 to OS X and I have *no* OS X software at all.

That's two of us when it comes to more than one computer per year. I've been using Mac's since 1993 and have only purchased four in that ten year period, two within the last two years. In fact I wish I had had enough money to buy a 15" ti or 17" alubook when I purchased this 12". I could really use more memory when working with adobe apps and a larger screen.

budgets suck.

MacBandit
Sep 18, 2003, 12:41 AM

This is the agreement you have to sign before shopping at the Apple Education store online. It should answer all your questions about how many of what.

scem0
Sep 18, 2003, 12:53 AM
I hope it is just as easy to buy from the developer hardware store ;).

scem0

MacBandit
Sep 18, 2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by scem0
I hope it is just as easy to buy from the developer hardware store ;).

scem0

The developer hardware store is actually quite stringent. They do check to see if you are going to school if you are getting the student developer membership. If you are getting the Select Membership you have to pay the membership fee and you still can't get the discount until the second year of membership.

Powerbook G5
Sep 18, 2003, 09:44 AM
I'll just wait until I find must have software to buy through the discount at the Apple store. There is none on Office, but it looks like Keynote is $20 cheaper,so if I decide to get that, there is the one title. I wonder if by year they mean until Jan of 2004 or until a year from the day you first purchased your system.

Toppa G's
Sep 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
Apple's years for eligibility run the same way school years do. July 1- June 30. So anything you bought during the spring was on last year's tab. :)

MacBandit
Sep 18, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Toppa G's
Apple's years for eligibility run the same way school years do. July 1- June 30. So anything you bought during the spring was on last year's tab. :)

It's funny that even though I posted the image with the complete information up above people continue to ask about these things.

Sometimes it's frustrating trying to help people.:rolleyes:

Powerbook G5
Sep 18, 2003, 07:13 PM
Sorry, It's just I wanted to make sense out of it since that school year is completely different from my school years. I get out in April and start end of Sept. and so that doesn't exactly fit into Apple's school year.

MacBandit
Sep 19, 2003, 01:30 AM
Sorry, It's just I wanted to make sense out of it since that school year is completely different from my school years. I get out in April and start end of Sept. and so that doesn't exactly fit into Apple's school year.

Technically your school year still ends the end of June and begins the first of July. That's the way for all schools. Yes you only go to school until April and start at the end of September but that's not the entire year.