Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrSpirograph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hi,
I'm trying to create a DVD video for home, three of the video's on the DVD play fine, but the fourth I'm having a lot of trouble getting onto the DVD.
Quicktime plays the video fine, but when iDVD is encoding, the little preview window that shows progress remains black - and sure enough when the DVD is burned, the video on it does not show (but the audio plays) - regardless of weather I play it on a DVD player or on a computer.

I'm converting the video from another format that Quicktime doesn't recognise (.ogm), using mencoder.
To test it, I first encoded a sample that was only 500 frames long to check if iDVD would accept the format - the sample WORKED!
I then used the same settings to encode the whole video and I get this black video.
Here's the output of tcprobe about the format of the video - the sample video that worked is exactly the same, except of course, for the length.

[tcprobe] RIFF data, AVI video
[avilib] V: 23.976 fps, codec=MP42, frames=138771, width=704, height=528
[avilib] A: 48000 Hz, format=0x55, bits=0, channels=2, bitrate=320 kbps,
[avilib] 241169 chunks, 231522240 bytes, VBR
[tcprobe] summary for /media/SHEPHERD/media/video.avi, (*) = not default, 0 = not detected
import frame size: -g 704x528 [720x576] (*)
frame rate: -f 23.976 [25.000] frc=1 (*)
audio track: -a 0 [0] -e 48000,0,2 [48000,16,2] -n 0x55 [0x2000] (*)
bitrate=320 kbps
length: 138771 frames, frame_time=41 msec, duration=1:36:27.916

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem with the format is?

DrSpirograph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I've tried some other formats with no success, and I suspect that since QuickTime can play this file (and since iDVD can use a clip from the movie but not the whole thing) that it's something more obscure than a format issue -
I haven't got the disc space for DV (the video to convert is 90 minutes long).

It takes quite a while to convert and burn the movie, so rather than guess at another format, I'd like to see what info people have about why this doesn't work, and what is likely to work.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
mpeg4 works for me with iDVD and iMovie, but try mov or mp4 type containers instead of AVI.

CBX

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
I had a similar problem putting a slideshow of photos on to DVD using iDVD. Viewing the preview just gave me a black screen but I could here the music.

I thought I would be running the latest version of iDVD as I upgraded to Leopard (first mac two weeks ago) but it turns out there was an update available for iDVD.

After running the update everything worked.

DrSpirograph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I'll try updating.
Don't know if the problem is quite the same, as this isn't when doing a preview before burning, this is during (ie when it shows you while it encodes) and after burning that I see a blank screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.