Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
UK
My lad has an iPod Touch and has been using it without issue. Today it just froze so he turned it off and on again and now it just shows a silver apple logo and stays like that, after several minutes it kind of goes off and then comes up again, nothing more. I thought about pressing the home button and the button on the top together to reboot it but same thing, is there another way of rebooting it? I have searched the forums and Apples Discussion boards but can't find anything. I tried connecting it to his Mac and mine but it doesn't show up in iTunes or on the desktop. Has it broken? Is there a way to reset it and restore the software or not if I can't get it to show up in itunes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Vyronas

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
You might try this (Thanks to a friend of mine): Press down and hold the Home + Hold button until it turns off. Continue holding both buttons until the boot screen appears again, then release only the hold button. This forces your iPod into a recovery mode. From here, a message will appear in iTunes saying "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode" then you can restore you iPod, and hooray it works again!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Are you sure the iPod has got enough battery in it, if not it'll do this, so charge it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.