Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G3-Pwnz-G4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
just seed da new powerbook lineup, and i, for one, am impressed.

jus a quick quesiton tho: i've heard the old 12" pb's are fire-hazards, in the sense they got REALLY hot during use. does the same hold for the new ones?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well besides the reduced power/heat from the processor and the slightly thicker case, there could be a slight reduction in heat, but then again, it is running faster and the heat might not be any less to cause a significant difference. Only time will tell, it seems.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I would chalk up the "fire hazard" risk to both hyperbole and urban myth. If you go back in time and read the posts from the first iBooks (people complained about gonads being cooked) to the Wallstreet PBs- people complained that the computers ran hot. From what I understand the newer Al and Ti books do run hotter than any other models, but I really don't think it's dangerous. Even a few burnt down houses would warrent a product recall.

G3-Pwnz-G4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-G3-Pwnz-G4

Nothing against you, but I'm so tired of this.

It's about 115 deg Farenheight - not life-threatening.
did i ask if you were tired of it? no. and, if you were tired of it, you didn't have to reply. and i never said it was "life threatening", you just need to lighten up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.