PDA

View Full Version : Site slow to load

Bensheim
Nov 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
It's bothering me somewhat. This forum is the slowest to load of any that I use. Yet, another technical forum using identical software, loads like that - snap!

(Their version is Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5 and this one is Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7 which seems odd, that a newer version should take longer to load?)

While waiting for a page to load, here, I can go away and make a cup of tea. Anyone else experiencing this? It's a shame, because apart from MacFixit, it's the best place for excellent advice on the web I've found.

Not a criticism. Just puzzled.

Hmm. Also, the other (same software)'s forum's clickable smilies work for me, here, they don't.

?? <confused.gif>

squeeks
Nov 11, 2007, 02:41 PM
the forum software has absolutely nothing to do with the speed, its all based on how fast the hosting service is and the database, some of the stuff still isnt working because the site was moved to a faster server, like, i cant get my avatar to change, but im not having issues with the click smilies...:confused:

arn
Nov 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
is the site slow to load all the time or for short periods of time?

The sites should be fast now.

arn

unclefudgly
Nov 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
Guys...

what on earth is going on?? It has taken me 12 minutes of waiting for me to navigate this far from the home page!! Every page takes 45-75 seconds to load. Every time the adserver "waiting for img.mediaplex.com" just sits there for ages and ages...

I've tried it on safari and firefox and my connection is 24mbit so it's not me.

Please fix it so I can use the site again

Thanks

Fuzzy14
Nov 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
Guys...

what on earth is going on?? It has taken me 12 minutes of waiting for me to navigate this far from the home page!! Every page takes 45-75 seconds to load. Every time the adserver "waiting for img.mediaplex.com" just sits there for ages and ages...

I've tried it on safari and firefox and my connection is 24mbit so it's not me.

Please fix it so I can use the site again

Thanks

Site's been running nicely for the last hour I've been on.
However I've got similar problems with the Apple Store site, I don't think it's the host but the 3rd party sites. Try and delete all your 3rd party cookies.

arn
Nov 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
sounds like a network connection issue with mediaplex.com, presumably one of our ad networks.

Sorry about that. It appears to be working for others, so you may just have to wait it out on your end.

arn

unclefudgly
Nov 20, 2007, 04:47 AM
it's been like this for a few days now and not getting any better. I was hoping I could disable the ads.

It pretty much renders the site unusable
:(

MacBoobsPro
Nov 20, 2007, 04:55 AM
sounds like a network connection issue with mediaplex.com, presumably one of our ad networks.

Sorry about that. It appears to be working for others, so you may just have to wait it out on your end.

arn

Hey Arn,

I get a REALLY slow load time for the MR front page too. Takes around 30 seconds on a 6MB line? I'm in UK too.

This is even after the new servers. Just to let you know.

B&Wtoon
Nov 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
I am also having major problems with page loading on MR and for me it is the slowest sight on the internet by a long way. This has been the case for several days now.

arn
Nov 20, 2007, 08:37 AM
Where are you located geographically? people with slow load times.

arn

Badradio
Nov 20, 2007, 09:41 AM

arn

UK here. It must be one of the ad servers, as the update to Safari 3 killed Pith Helmet and that's when it started loading slow for me. I'm at work now on Firefox running Adblock and the site is running fine.

B&Wtoon
Nov 20, 2007, 11:38 AM

arn

UK as well,

but like making appointment to see doctor and when you get there - everything seems fine now! Seems normal service has resumed.

arn
Nov 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
I've blocked what I believe to be the offending ad. If you can let me know how it goes over the next few days.

It helps if you can list the url of the piece that seems to hang the page.

thanks
arn

lofight
Nov 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
Mostly going freakin fast, but sometimes very slow..

decksnap
Nov 21, 2007, 05:15 PM
I've been getting serious slowness over the last couple of days. Northeast US. Sometimes it's just slow, other times it's 'basically not working' slow. Right now it is just slow.

Edit... hmmm not so slow right now actually.

WildCowboy
Nov 21, 2007, 05:34 PM
I experienced a fair amount of slowness yesterday at this time...smilies and post formatting icon images timing out, etc.

Today's been fine for me.

WildCowboy
Nov 21, 2007, 06:40 PM
Site is slow as molasses for me right now...taking minutes to load each page. :(

rdowns
Nov 21, 2007, 06:44 PM
No issues here.

JML42691
Nov 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
For me it seemed really slow before the server upgrade, but now it seems extremely fast.

WildCowboy
Nov 21, 2007, 07:03 PM
It's much better now, but for about 30 minutes there, it was terrible. All of my other browsing was fine, but MR was creeping. Nothing specific jumped as being slow...just very slow responses from the servers: forums.macrumors.com, images.macrumors.com, etc.

danny_w
Nov 21, 2007, 07:47 PM
It's been off and on for me. Overall there doesn't appear to be a big change from before the servers were moved. It is still very slow at times (anywhere from 5s-60s load times), and other times it is fine; I haven't been able to notice a pattern. But I think the award for the slowest website on the internet has to go to Bank of America; I absolutely hate using their online banking.

arn
Nov 21, 2007, 09:02 PM
Last night we had an issue with the vista ad we posted on images.macrumors.com overloading the server. The server was fine actually, it ran up against a hard limit in the software (thttpd) hitting it's max. So for a while all the sites (forums,macrumors.com) were being slow because images.macrumors.com was being slow.

So if you all see the site being slow - in that somethign really is hanging things, check out the Safari Activity window and see what's not loading. And we can look into it.

I did notice a entire site slow-down earlier today that was related to a database bottleneck - in that case the whole forums site simply stops responding (but MacRumors.com loads).

arn

A.T.M
Nov 22, 2007, 06:40 AM

arn

Works fine here :)