Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Cube, and I'm looking for a way to fill my days until it arrives. I was wondering what software I might need/use/benefit from in some way. I will be running OS X, and I will use the machine to surf, e-mail, word process, play the occasional game of The Sims, play with my digital photos a bit, burn CDs, and design and support a webpage. I was thinking of Toast for the burning, Office X, and The Sims (of course). Do I need Photoshop, or will iPhoto do it for me? Also, what's a good WYSIWYG program for the Mac? I've tried Dreamweaver for the PC, but I hated it. Understand that I don't know the first thing about html, so I'm probably just missing the point. Is something akin to Front Page available? I need a web design program that dumb. Thanks for all of the help and input, guys! :)

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
From my experience, Dreamweaver is quite similar to FrontPage? In dreamweaver you have a panel for the html code, another panel for the output of the HTML code. Most of the basic sites can be created by using the toolbars (point and click). Slight problem though, Dreamweaver is not yet available for OSX!!

If you are doing basic pages you can just use Word (+ save as a web page).

I am sure other people can give you a better answer to your question though. Personally, I just use word to write the HTML code myself.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i really like using dreamweaver to manage large web sites

but nowadays i use bbedit and make everything by hand :)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I'm making my own site and having trouble with html tags and so on
which is better frontpage or dreamweaver or something else
I want the easiest one to use you know dummy proof:D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Use either Adobe Go Live or Dreamweaver for HTML. Front Page creates horrible HTML, and Word does an even worse job. Go Live and Dreamweaver take a bit more to learn, but once you get it, they're much more powerful.

As for otehr OS X apps, you have to get these two little hacks; Tinker Tool and TransparentDock. You can find bothe at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx

As for needing Photoshop, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to do anything more than adjust photos, you might need more then iPhoto.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Beej
As for needing Photoshop, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to do anything more than adjust photos, you might need more then iPhoto.

Even for adjusting photos, iPhoto is a little limiting. Another option is Photoshop Elements ($100 US) which has almost all the functionality of photoshop, but for a lot less.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Ok ok, I'm getting all of this. So I should take the time to learn Dreamweaver of GoLive, as they're super apps. Ands Photoshop Elements will cover me. That's great! Does anyone know if there's going to be an Elements for Photoshop 7? Thanks!

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Golive rules

I know no HTML at all, and never intend to learn any.

I'm not a Mac-user to be messing about with code of any sort, and as far as possible I'll be avoiding the command line when I reenter the world of Mac OS X when I get my next machine (it just wasn't fast enough on this one).

But I have written a web page

Golive circumvents all of the hand-coding and (apparently) produces fairly good HTML. It's very easy to write a site with it quickly, and it's reasonaby sophisticated as you become more proficient.

Enjoy Golive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.