PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please explain Blluetooth to me?

onlydroops
Sep 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
I'm not exactly sure what it's for. Is it just for wireless data transmission from PDAs to computers and vice versa? Is it for completely wireless peripherals like HDs, mice, KBs? All of the above?

I can't seem to get a good grip on it from Apple's site... it's vague and specific in the wrong places. What am I missing here?

Dunga
Sep 17, 2003, 11:48 AM
try:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth2.htm

onlydroops
Sep 17, 2003, 11:56 AM
That helps a little, a bit more on the technical side.

I guess what I want to know is, with Bluetooth, there is a transceiver or something in your computer, right? And you can have a bunch of bluetooth peripherals all communicating with it wirelessly? So, no wires... right?

And there is just about everything Bluetooth now right?

X-Baz
Sep 17, 2003, 12:06 PM
it's a bit like a USB cable. without the cable.

hence, PDAs and phones use it to sync, keyboards, mice and printers use it to connect, and so on.

onlydroops
Sep 17, 2003, 12:08 PM
and the mic, KBs, PDAs need to be bluetooth ready themselves, right?

MacBoyX
Sep 17, 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by onlydroops
and the mic, KBs, PDAs need to be bluetooth ready themselves, right?

For BlueTooth to work, you need to have a bluetooth adapter (transmitter and reciever all in one) either built in your mac or via a USB port and the device has to have a blue adapter both a transmitter and reciever for it to work.

It has a range of about 30 feet. It is a SHORT DISTANCE CONNECTIVITY device. For EXAMPLE:

My iMac has a DLINK BLUETOOTH ADAPTER plugged into it's USB Port.

My Sony Ericsson T68i has a bluetooth chip inside. When they are near each other they communicate wirelessly after they have been "Paired" (in layman terms introduced to each other). With this connection I can...using iSync copy my addresses and contacts and FILES (pictures etc) to my T68i. I can also use the Sailing Clicker app to control my Mac from my T68i (play/pause/ff/rew iTunes or control a DVD playback or use it as a remote for Keynote).

My Jabra Bluetooth handsfree has a bluetooth chip inside. It communicates wirelessly with my T68i's Bluetooth chip and I get truly wireless handsfree.

When my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard gets here... it will be paired with my iMac via the DLINK Bluetooth adapter. I am also expecting that it might be able to be paired to my T68i although I don't know why I'd need it to.

I hope that helps by putting a practical application spin on it.

Whatever it is..it's way cool :)

MacBoyX