PDA

View Full Version : new uni add - very apple

offwidafairies
Nov 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
hows this for the new ad at my university - it looks so apple!!!
and guess what the title above it is - 'spotlight'

website (https://my.uq.edu.au/)

adrianblaine
Nov 12, 2007, 04:50 PM
It's amazing how similar it is, yet you can tell in an instant that it isn't Apple. They have something that goes just a little bit further for some reason. I know one thing, those sunshine stripes wouldn't be there if Apple's ad agency had done this.

offwidafairies
Nov 12, 2007, 04:56 PM
It's amazing how similar it is, yet you can tell in an instant that it isn't Apple. They have something that goes just a little bit further for some reason. I know one thing, those sunshine stripes wouldn't be there if Apple's ad agency had done this.

i dont mind the stripes. but ur right. it does go beyond apple's simple but striking designs

ChicoWeb
Nov 13, 2007, 12:28 AM
I guess, if you mean there is a siloute like the commercials from few years ago.

Eluzion
Nov 13, 2007, 12:37 AM
Wasn't the whole silhouette design by Apple "taken" from the shoe company Lugz? I thought there was a law suit over it. There was another one of Apple's ads that the idea was "borrowed" from another source without permission.

EricNau
Nov 13, 2007, 12:42 AM
I know one thing, those sunshine stripes wouldn't be there if Apple's ad agency had done this.
That, and Apple's silhouettes aren't entirely black - there's still some visible detail.

AlexisV
Nov 13, 2007, 03:48 AM
I don't think it's very much like Apple's. Go onto istock and you'll see there are hundreds of silhouette figures, and adding stripes is not a new technique. Add to that the font is Helvetica or similar, not Myriad, and has a drop shadows and I think the link is tenuous at best! :p

macaddict23
Nov 16, 2007, 02:07 AM
Two things:

1) It's not very apple-like because it's too busy.

2) Who ever esigned the ad probably copied the idea from this site: http://www.unlimitedhoops.com/

desenso
Nov 16, 2007, 04:36 PM
As hard as it may be for some of the Apple fans here to understand, Apple didn't actually invent the silhouette. I KNOW! Incredible!!

Muncher
Nov 16, 2007, 06:11 PM
It's the drop shadow behind the letters. Apple ads don't have a drop shadow.

belovedmonster
Nov 17, 2007, 02:59 AM
More so than looking like it was influenced by Apple I'd say it looks influenced by the web 2.0 trend of having these light rays for the background. Its a very very common design element.

ezekielrage_99
Nov 17, 2007, 04:02 AM
It actually reminds me of some art work on iStockphoto, I think if you look there you'll probably find it somewhere in there.

offwidafairies
Dec 6, 2007, 08:59 PM
I don't think it's very much like Apple's. Go onto istock and you'll see there are hundreds of silhouette figures, and adding stripes is not a new technique. Add to that the font is Helvetica or similar, not Myriad, and has a drop shadows and I think the link is tenuous at best! :p

Yeah I wasnt talking about the text. That doesn't look very apple at all. I just think the colours and the silouettes look like ipod ads i see everywhere