PDA

View Full Version : iPod 5th Gen Update 1.2.2 available

ApplePod17
Nov 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
I just plugged in my 5th gen iPod and iTunes said that version 1.2.2 is available! I'm downloading it now...

adrianblaine
Nov 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
does it say what it fixes?

ApplePod17
Nov 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
nope. it just says bug fixes

StealthRider
Nov 12, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hey, Safari seems snappier™!

Oh, wait...:p

R.Youden
Nov 13, 2007, 01:09 AM
Maybe it will fix the bug that stops my iPod crashing when I plug it into my mac....

A Pittarelli
Nov 13, 2007, 01:23 AM
my 5.5 80 was updated as well, seems...how do you say it? snappier?

martintyler
Nov 13, 2007, 03:08 AM
updated my 60GB 5th gen ipod last night, it then added the new album i had added to itunes, i then disconnected (when it said it could).. went to listen to the new album this morning and i cannot access any of my music...

Artists, Albums etc all just go to a list with just 'All' on it and nothing inside that. Going to 'About' still says i am using ~35GB

prabeshfloyd
Nov 13, 2007, 03:13 AM
I just updated to 1.2.2. when i plugged in my ipod it said "synching" for a while, so i got paranoid. when i unplugged my ipod it had all the song titles ad playlists intact left but nothing would play. It keeps on skipping to the next track. my backup is across the globe(in NEPAL-asia), i haven't restored the ipod yet. anyone know how to get around it?

help!!!!!!!!!

that darn 1.2.2 update screwed me over. because european law had to go down 4db, i lost 24 GB of music...........anyone know anything about this? nobody should do this update.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't even listen to the beatles song "help" anymore :-(

almost 24 GB of music gone!!!!!!!

i need help!!

StealthRider
Nov 13, 2007, 05:06 AM
I just updated to 1.2.2. when i plugged in my ipod it said "synching" for a while, so i got paranoid. when i unplugged my ipod it had all the song titles ad playlists intact left but nothing would play. It keeps on skipping to the next track. my backup is across the globe(in NEPAL-asia), i haven't restored the ipod yet. anyone know how to get around it?

help!!!!!!!!!

that darn 1.2.2 update screwed me over. because european law had to go down 4db, i lost 24 GB of music...........anyone know anything about this? nobody should do this update.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't even listen to the beatles song "help" anymore :-(

almost 24 GB of music gone!!!!!!!

i need help!!

Relax. Just restore and re-sync your iPod.

orangetrumpeter
Nov 13, 2007, 08:45 AM
I assume this update will provide that new battery meter icon as found on the other iPod releases with iTunes 7.5 recently....

EDIT: Apparently not.............

prabeshfloyd
Nov 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
Relax. Just restore and re-sync your iPod.

can not do that, my music existed only on my ipod. my library is empty. don't have all the songs. my backup files are in a place which is 26 hrs flight from here.
talk about screwed up situation....

StealthRider
Nov 13, 2007, 11:08 AM
Good lesson, though - don't update anything mission-critical if you don't have a handy backup.

Google and download iPodRip - it's a shareware utility that may be able to pull the songs back off of your iPod.

WICKEDfour
Nov 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
I also downloaded an installed 1.2.2 on my 80 GB 5.5-gen iPod - no hitches here. As of right now I see no new features - no battery indicator either. No release notes either! Hmm...

Mechcozmo
Nov 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
Good lesson, though - don't update anything mission-critical if you don't have a handy backup.

Google and download iPodRip - it's a shareware utility that may be able to pull the songs back off of your iPod.

A vote for Senuti here-- it might be able to pull song files off, too.
And a vote for the mission-critical thing.
And a vote for "never, ever, unplug a device while it is working on its own system software!"

Football1maniac
Nov 13, 2007, 10:38 PM
Speaking of the 5 Gen iPod, has anyone YET been able to install the new UI from the 6th Gen iPod onto the 5, 5.5 Gens? Out of curiosity....:rolleyes::apple:

MacGeek Pro
Nov 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
The solution for those who upgraded to 1.2.2 and have since been unable to "see" their music on their iPods, you MUST upgrade to iTunes 7.5!

This worked for my wife's iPod 5.5G 80GB.

Cheers.

WhiteShadow
Nov 13, 2007, 11:25 PM
just out of curisoity I pluged my 5gen 60gb in last night, first time in over 6 months and update 1.2.2 nice.

although *safari is snappier* no real improvement.

iJesus
Nov 13, 2007, 11:35 PM
Has anyone ever tried putting 6th Gen firmware on a 5th Gen iPod?

is it possible?

orangetrumpeter
Nov 13, 2007, 11:43 PM
Has anyone ever tried putting 6th Gen firmware on a 5th Gen iPod?

is it possible?

I believe the general consensus was that this does not work because the actual hardware to run the new firmware of the 6G is different that that of the 5G.

MetalMac
Nov 13, 2007, 11:54 PM
Now it's easier (faster) to scroll through my music while playing it

iJesus
Nov 14, 2007, 12:00 AM
I believe the general consensus was that this does not work because the actual hardware to run the new firmware of the 6G is different that that of the 5G.

DANG IT,

thanks man
:)

SunRiser
Nov 14, 2007, 01:40 AM
I just wanted to report that for my 5G (60 GB), everything fine with iTunes 7.4.2 and Quicktime 7.2.0

Magnus Reftel
Nov 14, 2007, 05:46 AM
A vote for Senuti here-- it might be able to pull song files off, too.
And a vote for the mission-critical thing.
And a vote for "never, ever, unplug a device while it is working on its own system software!"

*puts on a fake gray beard*
... and always mount a scratch monkey!

Jasonbot
Nov 14, 2007, 08:10 AM

How about running 5.5G firmware on a 5G iPod?

Warbrain
Nov 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
How about running 5.5G firmware on a 5G iPod?

From what I remember, it's the same firmware for the 5.5G and the 5G iPod.

Edit: Installed the update on my 5.5G 30 GB with iTunes 7.5 installed...everything is fine. Maybe it'll solve my problem of it not playing audio the first time around sometimes.

RichP
Nov 14, 2007, 10:06 AM

I believe so as well.. when the 5.5 came out, the 5.0 got an update which gave it the features of the 5.5 (dimming screen, alphabetical "quick scroll" or whatever you want to call it)

Warbrain
Nov 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
I believe so as well.. when the 5.5 came out, the 5.0 got an update which gave it the features of the 5.5 (dimming screen, alphabetical "quick scroll" or whatever you want to call it)

The only real difference between the 5.5 and 5 versions are the different screens and batteries if I recall. Hardware didn't change otherwise unless you like to include HDD size increase.

lindstrom
Nov 14, 2007, 10:38 AM

Wasn't the "Search" function a 5.5G only feature? My 5G iPod never got it.

MrPineapples
Nov 14, 2007, 11:03 AM

Mine neither... as for the 6G firmware, there is a skin for the 5/5.5G which makes it look like a 6G but doesn't have all the features. I had a quick look but couldn't get it installed.

Osarkon
Nov 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
Was 'Sound Check' an option in the settings before this? I don't recall seeing it before.

Jasonbot
Nov 14, 2007, 11:27 AM

Edit: Installed the update on my 5.5G 30 GB with iTunes 7.5 installed...everything is fine. Maybe it'll solve my problem of it not playing audio the first time around sometimes.

My 5G doesn't have search like all 5.5G's have. You catch my drift?

puckhead193
Nov 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
before the update i was running 1.2.1 :rolleyes:
i'll post back after the update - time to make my PPJ sandwich

edit - all seems fine including my sandwich ;)

glennyboiwpg
Nov 14, 2007, 01:07 PM
can not do that, my music existed only on my ipod. my library is empty. don't have all the songs. my backup files are in a place which is 26 hrs flight from here.

ha ha ha ha ha

thats awesome.

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
Just noticed you can't play the clicker through the headphones anymore.

OdduWon
Nov 14, 2007, 02:40 PM

My co-worker has a 5.25 iPod :eek:. He has sent it back 3 times for HDD replacement,Yes he is clumsy, the last time it came with the "Alpha Scroll" feature, but not the "search" feature. strange :rolleyes:
he originally had the 5.0

Osarkon
Nov 14, 2007, 03:01 PM
My co-worker has a 5.25 iPod :eek:. He has sent it back 3 times for HDD replacement,Yes he is clumsy, the last time it came with the "Alpha Scroll" feature, but not the "search" feature. strange :rolleyes:
he originally had the 5.0

Alpha scroll? Do you mean the thing where when you scroll at speed, you can see what letter you're at by this smoke window with the letter in it?

Because if so, that was given to the 5th Generation in the last update. :)

cash4chaos
Nov 14, 2007, 03:41 PM
this update sucks had to downgrade would not sync music or games bought on itunes maybe a leopard bug:mad::mad::apple:

dittman
Nov 14, 2007, 03:44 PM
I was hoping this update would fix a problem I have where some purchased tracks do not play on my iPod (but play fine in iTunes), but it didn't help.

Mudo
Nov 14, 2007, 05:30 PM
Was 'Sound Check' an option in the settings before this? I don't recall seeing it before.

Yes, it was.

Also, for what it's worth iTunes 7.5 (19) and 5.5g 80gb, no problems.

Dagless
Nov 14, 2007, 05:33 PM

What a silly thing to do!

It was there before.

I'll get downloading this later. Seems like this is update night. Just gotta finish up work in XP then I'll click the big shiny update button.

OdduWon
Nov 14, 2007, 05:35 PM
Alpha scroll? Do you mean the thing where when you scroll at speed, you can see what letter you're at by this smoke window with the letter in it?

Because if so, that was given to the 5th Generation in the last update. :)

That was it ;)

Dagless
Nov 14, 2007, 07:47 PM
Updated.

The menu is definitely, dare I say, snappier! I haven't hit any lag yet on my full iPod 80gb (photos, vids, music, podcasts, calendar, games etc). It's really refined it. I never found a problem with the previous f/w other than the minor lag from time to time.

Nice to see them updating the old iPods too. Even if it will probably be the last time.

FoxyKaye
Nov 14, 2007, 08:51 PM
Bug fixes, you say? It sure did fix my 5G iPod right up with a bunch of bugs. Running iTunes 7.5 was of no avail, I had to do a full restore to get the damn update to take. Now I have to wait for almost the full 60GB to copy back to it, which at USB 2.0 speeds is like waiting for the grass to grow. I really miss FireWire iPods...

Dagless
Nov 14, 2007, 09:24 PM
I really miss FireWire iPods...

You and me both :o I didn't think USB2 was so bad. Till I got a 5.5G and loaded it up with films.

Dagless
Nov 15, 2007, 05:53 AM
That's funny. My iPod didn't go to sleep last night. I watched a TV episode on it before going to sleep, just checked it and it won't boot up. I leave it on charge on my dock all the time and only took it off last night and it was only in use for 30 minutes.

Anyone else's iPod not going to sleep automatically? Worked fine on the last f/w!

cgtyoder
Nov 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
I synced my iPog 30GB 5G today, and it asked if I would like to install the 1.2.2 update. I said yes, download and install. However, I am still at 1.2.1, and clicking on the Check for Update button says I'm up to date (both iTunes and the iPod say I have 1.2.1). Can't find any updater on Apple's web site. Any idea what to do here?

harald182
Nov 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
I synced my iPog 30GB 5G today, and it asked if I would like to install the 1.2.2 update. I said yes, download and install. However, I am still at 1.2.1, and clicking on the Check for Update button says I'm up to date (both iTunes and the iPod say I have 1.2.1). Can't find any updater on Apple's web site. Any idea what to do here?

same here. guess apple noticed that many ppl had problems with this update and took it down. such as all the music is gone after installing 1.2.2.

ColoJohnBoy
Nov 15, 2007, 03:41 PM
iTunes is saying that 1.2.1 is the current version. What the hell?

I'm running iTunes 7.5, the iPod still seems to work fine but I still get these messages...

Macula
Nov 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
Same here. MBP yellow screens, Leopard bugs, whines,... --- Apple is not doing very well lately. What do you think, should we get a Zune?

I'm running iTunes 7.5, the iPod still seems to work fine but I still get these messages...

klymr
Nov 15, 2007, 06:31 PM

You have that problem too? Sometimes when I turn my iPod on and pick a song, it shows it as playing, but it sits at 0 the entire time. Other times it'll play, but with no audio. I have to turn it off, then turn it on and it works fine. Hope this fixes it! We will find out soon enough.

ColoJohnBoy
Nov 15, 2007, 06:40 PM
Same here. MBP yellow screens, Leopard bugs, whines,... --- Apple is not doing very well lately. What do you think, should we get a Zune?

Blasphemer! No, I don't think I'll ever do such a thing. I haven't had many problems with Apple lately, and the one's I've had have been minor. Still. Compared to the zero problems I used to have... well, this is a touch annoying.

Melis
Nov 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
Are you ready for this one? Months ago my husband's ipod 5th gen with video started not being recognized in itunes. I tried everything and finally brought it to the store for the "genious" to look at it and work his magic. He told me that it was a default in the harddrive something died in the ipod and I could exchange it for 10% off my next apple store purchase..it was out of warranty. I held onto it because he said I could send it to some web co. to have the piece restored. I never did anything about it because my husband bought me a nano that he ended up using. I just updated my itunes and decided to give it a try...it updated the ipod with the BUG fixes and it has ressurected from the dead!!!!! My husband is so happy!!!! I can't believe that this update fixed my dead ipod! This saves me so much since I would have to get him a new one so that I could have my little one back!

electronboy
Nov 16, 2007, 04:45 AM

same here. Did apple take down the update? I have rebooted my ipod, rebooted my computer and iPod will not update after initially seeing the update available. ???

minik
Nov 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
As of Friday at 1AM PDT, no update for my 30GB 5.5G iPod.

I thought Apple is doing great lately. :D Whiners? YES.

Dagless
Nov 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
They've taken it down? lololol So I was wrong, it won't be the last update for our gen iPods :D

Mine is working fine, quicker menus etc. But it just wont go to sleep. I have to leave it on charge. Screen fades out still but the display is always on.

FoxyKaye
Nov 16, 2007, 12:54 PM
I couldn't apply the 1.2.2 update until I did a full restore. Basically, I did this:

* Restore
* Apply update
* Restore again
* Wait for an eternity for almost 60GB of music and videos to re-sync because Apple decided it would be brilliant to make all their iPods USB2.

But hey, my iPod is running the updated software now.

swalaza
Nov 16, 2007, 03:43 PM

I got the exact same thing, "1.2.1 is the current version"..
I hope a new update will be coming soon or an apple support page will be published :)

reubs
Nov 16, 2007, 07:49 PM
I can't get itunes to open up when I connect my 5G 60 gig ipod. Sometimes it locks up, and I have to force quit. Sometimes it shows up as open (with the black triangle under it), but I can't get a window. Other times, the ipod says "Do not disconnect" but I can't find a way to disconnect it. It's all very annoying.

Porco
Nov 16, 2007, 08:12 PM
I updated to 1.2.2 on my 5G 60GB iPod the other day, haven't had any problems (manual updating), fingers crossed! Weird.

phillymjs
Nov 16, 2007, 08:27 PM
I've got a 5.5G 30GB, and iTunes 7.5. My iTunes still insists that 1.2.1 is the latest, as well. Can anyone confirm that Apple yanked this update?

Viremia
Nov 17, 2007, 08:09 AM

Got the same thing. Me thinks Apple has pulled it.

johnpaul191
Nov 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
just tried to update now, and my iTunes is not finding it either.... i guess it was pulled. it say 1.2.1 is up to date. in that case i might be lucky i didn't update it, i have a lot of driving in the next few days.

Benjamindaines
Nov 17, 2007, 05:40 PM
Hmm, mine saying 1.2.1 is the most recent version.

minik
Nov 17, 2007, 06:50 PM
Identifying iPod models (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61688)

It does say 1.2.2 for iPod 5 and 5.5G. weird.

swalaza
Nov 18, 2007, 04:48 AM
Identifying iPod models (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61688)

It does say 1.2.2 for iPod 5 and 5.5G. weird.

My guess:
- there was something wrong with the update
- they pulled it off itunes
- they will be releasing another update 1.2.2a shortly :D

Marky_Mark
Nov 18, 2007, 04:39 PM
I've just plugged my 5.0 Gen iPod Vid in and been prompted for the update to 1.2.2 after canceling it two days ago. I passed on it again though - someone else can cut their teeth on it! ;)

Let us know how y'all get on!

reubs
Nov 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
Still saying that 1.2.1 is the latest for me...I'm eager to see what this update might be since Apple MAY be calling MS's play to upgrade firmware on previous models...

Would certainly be nice!

thegman1234
Nov 24, 2007, 10:41 AM

What about a 5.5 80 gig, that may use the same hardware as the 6g 80 gig, or do you know for sure that it doesn't? Granted I'm not the biggest fan of the new UI on the 6g (although I do like cover flow), I'm just curious.

Osarkon
Nov 24, 2007, 10:46 AM
Mine's running fine on 1.2.2 . The hard drive doesn't seem to be as noisy as it was either. :)

TheSpaz
Nov 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
I can't seem to update to 1.2.2. Does anyone have a direct link to the firmware file? iTunes also tells me that 1.2.1 is the most recent version.

XxCH3AT3RxX
Nov 24, 2007, 11:51 AM
Was this for the new 80GB iPod classic?

sparkyms
Nov 24, 2007, 12:59 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120159

seems to be up for download so-to-speak from here - apparently it just makes it quieter.. and as much as i dont listen to my iPod loud.. screw that! im not going to be told how loud to listen to my music.

EDIT: that seems to just be for windows.. dunno where the Mac version is.. :/
Double EDIT: that was released in 02.. obviously I'm retarded.. ignore sorry!

iTeen
Nov 24, 2007, 01:12 PM
Heres what mine says...

Osarkon
Nov 24, 2007, 02:37 PM
Was this for the new 80GB iPod classic?

No, this was for the last (5th) generation of iPods.

RoboCop001
Nov 26, 2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah, the update isn't showing up for me either.

electronboy
Nov 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
Can one of the admins please update this story or move it to the archives? 1.2.2 for the fifth gen iPod is NOT currently available.

WildCowboy
Nov 27, 2007, 05:53 PM
Moderator Note: We have a thread about the new 1.2.3 update, so please post there if you want to talk about that. Feel free to continue to talk about 1.2.2 (or the lack thereof) here.