PDA

View Full Version : WWDC Keynote... Jobs and Jaguar

arn
Apr 15, 2002, 11:19 AM
Many users wrote in with the following link (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020415/sfm059_1.html) announcing that Steve Jobs will kick of WWDC with the keynote speech:

"With Mac OS X taking center stage, it's a very exciting time to be a Mac developer," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "To get our developers even more excited, we'll be giving them a sneak peak at the next release of Mac OS X, code named Jaguar."

Xapplimatic
Apr 15, 2002, 11:25 AM
Uh oh.. If 10.2 is being presented by Jobs, it has to be good! (Otherwise they would have schluffed it off onto Phil Schiller.. because he makes such a good fall guy for the tossed rotten tomatos!) ;)

gregorypierce
Apr 15, 2002, 12:05 PM
10.2 should be a major release in terms of performance and its supposed to have new Java goodies to fix some outstanding bugs and new features to introduce some new ones :D

Hemingray
Apr 15, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Uh oh.. If 10.2 is being presented by Jobs, it has to be good!

Yeah... but even if it wasn't, it's not like he can hurl 10.2 off the stage if it misbehaves. :D (Note: Jobs would never hurl his Luxo iMac!)

Zaren
Apr 15, 2002, 12:39 PM
So are we gonna see rev upgrades on any of the i* software, or might there be a new version of something coming out?

Other portions of the rumor mill also claim that this OS rev will be another speed booster... osx seems to run pretty well on my ibook600 right now, but a performance increase would surely be appreciated :)

---------------
Do you have the way out? (http://www.cafepress.com/thewayout)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 15, 2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by arn
we'll be giving them a sneak peak at the next release of Mac OS X, code named Jaguar."

A sneak peak! :( That means OSX.2 isn't ready for prime time. There might acutally be something to the OSX.1.4 rumors. Damn. We might have to wait until MWNY for the big release.

jelloshotsrule
Apr 15, 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

A sneak peak! :( That means OSX.2 isn't ready for prime time. There might acutally be something to the OSX.1.4 rumors. Damn. We might have to wait until MWNY for the big release.

yeah, but along the lines of what other folks' said in the other thread, 10.1.4 IS something. and if they preview 10.2 there, at least there's some actual, public presentation and proof that it's nearly ready. rather than rumors. obviously it's due, but it's always nice to see some public acknowledgement of it...

Hemingray
Apr 15, 2002, 01:59 PM
If this is the middle of April and they have a sneak peek at 10.2, do you think they'll have enough time to go finish what they're currently working on, go to Final Candidate, go to GM, burn, package, and distribute the thing? I honestly have no idea where they are on the builds in terms of being close to done.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 15, 2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

obviously it's due, but it's always nice to see some public acknowledgement of it...

That's something, but it guarantees absolutely nothing. You could hope that MWNY is the date of the release, but until its state one way or the other, OSX.1.4 could be here until MWSF '03. They might even have a OSX.1.5 release before we see .2:(

But it will be nice to get a new version anyway.

edenwaith
Apr 15, 2002, 02:49 PM
(Otherwise they would have schluffed it off onto Phil Schiller.. because he makes such a good fall guy for the tossed rotten tomatos!) ;)

Phil Schiller did a pretty decent job at the Quicktime Live presentation. Not quite as interesting as most MacWorld expos, but I did like the idea with MPEG-4 and trying to create a more universal video format instead of having several different formats run by different players. Especially since I don't like having to wait forever for Real to come out with an OS X Real player. But fortunately, nearly all video I watch is QT compatible.

jelloshotsrule
Apr 15, 2002, 03:15 PM

That's something, but it guarantees absolutely nothing. You could hope that MWNY is the date of the release, but until its state one way or the other, OSX.1.4 could be here until MWSF '03. They might even have a OSX.1.5 release before we see .2:(

i certainly see your point. but hey, they might say "here's a preview of 10.2 now, it'll come out at (insert event here)". of course they probably won't be that specific. but we won't know for sure for a few weeks.

bobartig
Apr 15, 2002, 03:29 PM
internally, 10.1.4 isn't codename'd Jaguar. That's specifically for 10.2. Also, 10.1.4 is going to be available VERY shortly, so there's no reason for "previewing" it at WWDC, since we'll all have it installed by then.

dongmin
Apr 15, 2002, 04:03 PM

If they're previewing 10.2 at the WWDC, I would say it's safe to expect it for MWNY 2002. It's a release fit for a big-event, and I doubt they'll sit on it until MWSF 2003, which is 8+ months away.

barkmonster
Apr 15, 2002, 06:20 PM
put in an option to turn off alpha channels on the windows, a black outline with a slightly recessed 1bit shadow to the left the way OS 9 works would be fine instead of drop shadow, I'm sure all those drop shadows gone would make everything snappier.

buffsldr
Apr 15, 2002, 06:26 PM
If you go to http://developer.apple.com/wwdc2002/monday.html#top you can see that one of the first session is a "to be annouced". I am guessing that will be steves slot.

My bad...I just noticed that steve is slated on the schedule.

britboy
Apr 15, 2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by barkmonster
put in an option to turn off alpha channels on the windows, a black outline with a slightly recessed 1bit shadow to the left the way OS 9 works would be fine instead of drop shadow, I'm sure all those drop shadows gone would make everything snappier.

there's already freeware available to kill the shadows in OSX. It doesn't look good, although it does make it a little snappier.

Catfish_Man
Apr 15, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by britboy

there's already freeware available to kill the shadows in OSX. It doesn't look good, although it does make it a little snappier.

I've found that shadowkiller does very little to improve performance (i.e. I could only notice it if I really tried). I think you'll have to look elsewhere if you want big gains.

Xapplimatic
Apr 15, 2002, 08:18 PM
I think that the biggest gains for 10.2 will be produced by removal of legacy code, and introduction of special speed gains for G4s by using the AltiVec engine for blistering number crunching on things like sorting directory lists and icon views, and for other functions that could speed the OS. AltiVec is not nearly as well utilized as it could be. For G3s, I think it's close to topped out. Window compression as default will help some for those who were scared to do the trick themselves or run an Applescript to do it. The Cocoatization of Finder would also boost the G3s as well I anticipate.

I think 10.1.4 will show up this week for sure. 10.2 will wait until the coming Mac World, probably because June is introduction of the G5.. and G5s will require at least 10.2 and 9.3 to run in all likelihood.. because its a relatively more than minor revision for the OS to support new processor types and features, I don't expect G5s to be introduced without at least a .x revision.. and I think for the best effect, they won't release the .x revision without the g5. Just a thought.

dongmin
Apr 15, 2002, 08:50 PM
I think 10.1.4 will show up this week for sure. 10.2 will wait until the coming Mac World, probably because June is introduction of the G5..

A little too optimistic, don't you think? I'm hoping, hoping, for the G5 being introduced at MWSF 2003. My projections:

WWDC
10.1.4 release and demo of 10.2

mid-May/June
733 and 800 mhz Powerbooks

MWNY
iBook (600 and 700 G4); 1.4 ghz G4 PowerMacs with new memory system; 10.2 release;

Aug/Sept
faster iMac

Oct/Nov
new digital lifestyle device

MWSF
1.8 and 2.2 ghz G5 PowerMacs

atodd
Apr 15, 2002, 11:58 PM
I think Apple will release a new digital device very soon (before or at MWNY), and I think that it will be goooooood.

Rower_CPU
Apr 16, 2002, 01:13 AM
dongmin-
Even your projections might be a little optimistic...but it sure sounds good to me!:D

I've always been a "glass is half-full" kind of guy.

insidesource
Apr 16, 2002, 03:52 AM
A while ago there where movies of new features in OSX to download and I recall them labled "jaguar movies".
(I apologise to the administrators if someone has already said this)

Macmaniac
Apr 16, 2002, 06:34 AM
Yes it has to be 10.2, Jobs would not make a keynote over nothing. This has to be big.
Please vote in my Poll in the Software rumors section!

mmmdreg
Apr 20, 2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by atodd
I think Apple will release a new digital device very soon (before or at MWNY), and I think that it will be goooooood.
I doubt that...there are rumors of a digital camera and such but they are only really rumors that sprung up with the release of the iPod, a digital device. If one did come out, it would obviously be extremely good and probably a market-leader like the iPod but I still doubt a release so don't get your hopes up...but maybe that's just me.

SubFredZero
Apr 21, 2002, 09:25 AM

They might even have a OSX.1.5 release before we see .2:(

There WILL be a 10.1.5, there is already a beta version of 10.1.5 out...