Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
page 2 for uncertain significance.

arn

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
LOL, your funny.

iTunes outside the US borders this decade?

No chance

:D
Originally posted by Freg3000
Is there anyway I can justify this to mean that iTMS for Windows/Europe is coming soon?

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I would imagine they're using clusters of computers to handle the demand. This could mean that extra bandwidth is being installed for the WiTMS. One never knows.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
This is probably to switch to the G5 version of their Xserves. ;)

PS. I hope they don't announce a G5-based Xserve until they can finally catch up to all the demand for the dual G5s. Nothing like putting additional strain on a very short supply.

notech

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
Oh wow... I'm surprised something this insignificant would even be posted... and it sure does generate quite a bit of "what ifs..." and "probably"'s...

Everybody has these little outages... nothing to get excited or sad about, I promise.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by notech
Oh wow... I'm surprised something this insignificant would even be posted... and it sure does generate quite a bit of "what ifs..." and "probably"'s...

Everybody has these little outages... nothing to get excited or sad about, I promise.

that's what Page 2 is for... ;)

it's also a heads up for anyone wanting to buy a song sunday night. :)

arn

prosaic

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2001
they're probably planning to post a large backlog of music from the independent labels; a lot of files, and a potential change to the iTMS interface (the "indie" category) might warrant a brief service outage..

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
I only heard about it being "taken down" during the development stage once and that was for a pretty major change to the way the authorization functions worked. My guess would be for something involved with the authentication functions of the Windows version being developed.

Just for clarification, I was not involved or had any knowledge of the iTunes Music Store during development, and I don't have any now (including inside info about this planned outage), all my info is from discussions with a couple of key players since the launch. And no, they wouldn't tell me anything about this even if I asked, which I won't.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
So what I want to know is if Windows iTunes will become the new official playlist manager for Windows iPods. I would assume so, but maybe Windows iTunes will not be fully featured and will only be a front for the music store.

Cochrane

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by Awimoway
So what I want to know is if Windows iTunes will become the new official playlist manager for Windows iPods. I would assume so, but maybe Windows iTunes will not be fully featured and will only be a front for the music store.

The latter would be rather pointless. Since these protected AACs can only be read by iTunes (and the Quicktime Player, but that's no real music app) still using Musicmatch Jukebox would mean that you have to use one app (iTunes) for downloading and playing, and another (Musicmatch) only for your iPod. And I do think that Apple doesn't get this Musicmatch thing for free, so it would be in any case more sensible to use Windows-iTunes for the Windows-iPod.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
As someone who tries to spend as much time with the Mac as possible, but still uses PCs for quite a lot of time, a full-featured iTunes for Windows would be a blessing!

Nothing comes close on Windows. The thought of having consistency between the Mac and PC for this is really exciting.

I wonder how many Windows users without an iPod of interest in the iTMS will buy/download iTunes simply as an MP3 player/organiser? Being in the UK, iTMS isn't an option for me, and I've no intention of bothering to put Firewire in my PC for the iPod .... but I'd still probably get iTunes for Windows, purely on its own merit.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Oh please!!!

Originally posted by JtheLemur
They're taking it down 'cause they're releasing G5 iBooks.

Man, what is with you people?! The G5 is too hot for the iBook. The PowerMac has 9 fans. A G5 iBook isn't going to happen!!!

Yes, this was all a joke. I still can't get over the 8 pages of "G5 PB is/is not possible" flames before the expo.

-p

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Apple's been in the process of converting all of their AAC's into Windows Media Player 9 files. The outage is to make the actual switch ;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Weird though. You'd think if there was scheduled maintenance, or server upgrade or something along those lines that apple would post the reason for the shutdown. Definetly a conspiracy theory generator. I hope its something good.

And I was all set to buy a ton of music this sunday night only....
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.