Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
Three quick questions:

1-Will the ram i buy from a third party vendor be any less effective in the computer. My friend keeps on telling me to buy the ram from apple included in the computer becuase its, but i don't know if its true.

2- If i buy one dimm of 512, will I will be able to buy 1 gig (1 dim) later for a total of 1.5. I was under the impression I needed to get them in even pairs.

3-How much can i expect to buy one gig for and how will the prices drop within a year or two?

Thanks

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm pretty sure that third party RAM is OK, as long as you make sure that it meets Apple's specifications.

i think you can get a 512MB chip now and leave the slot free, but i'm not sure about that, but that's what i want to do.

i'm not sure about prices, but now that 1GB chips are popular because of the PowerBooks, i would think that prices would start to come down a bit. but just make sure that you shop around.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You'll be fine with third party RAM, if it's good. Best to buy the kind that specifically says it's Apple compatible. From someplace like Crucial or OWC. Or Newegg under their Mac section. Just be carefull when you put it in.

Matched pairs are for G5s. They have to run in dual mode because the fast FSB (front side bus). PowerBooks will accept differing amounts of RAM, as long as it's a DDR 333 MHz SO-DIMM. There are 2 slots, both user replace-able (in the 15" and 17", 12" has 256 MB soldered on, 1 open slot).

The GB SO-DIMMs are about $500 - $700 right now. :eek: They will come down eventually. No one knows when or how much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.