Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
SONY GDM FW900 24inch CRT or APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 20INCH.

(I would love to get away with buying an apple cinema display - but need only the best that I can get for color accuracy and color fidelity. They both run at the same price, what what would you choose and why?) I will be using this monitor for graphic design/art purposes.

Thank you for any help you can provide me!:)

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
colour fidelity and accuracy... the CRT will rule the LCD any day of the week. That's it.

There need not be any justification, it's just that, short of much more expensive LCD panels, colour is one of the failures of LCDs (the broadcast quality LUMA line is an exception and it'll cost you though it is more dedicated to YUV colourations... as would be appropriate for TV/Film)

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
That's what I figured. I love the apple cinema display, but I'm just not sure if it's able to replace a CRT ...yet (in terms of color).

Anyone else have any objections?

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
It's really your money, but I'd never go back to chunky ass CRTs. Don't know why people are keep saying LCD have inaccurate color, 'cause my Cinema Display 20", Samsung 172T 17", and Sony SDM-81 18" all have accurate color.

I don't know, maybe people are just looking at cheap $200 compusa brand LCDs, or read too many bad reviews.

I spend a lot of time in front of the monitor, and the LCDs are eye savers for me. No more eye strains like I used to on the CRTs, and they were professional series 19" Sony models too.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Apple Cinema Display OR Sony GDM FW900 (What would you choose?)

Originally posted by triton
SONY GDM FW900 24inch CRT or APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 20INCH.

(I would love to get away with buying an apple cinema display - but need only the best that I can get for color accuracy and color fidelity. They both run at the same price, what what would you choose and why?) I will be using this monitor for graphic design/art purposes.

Thank you for any help you can provide me!:)
Apple LCD displays are actually very good. I've been working on photos on the 23" LCD.

I do recommend that you get a display calibrator no matter which you choose.

The downsides of the 24" CRT are that it weighs a lot (can your desk support it), it generates a lot more heat than an LCD of similar proportions, it takes up more desk space and it's analog. the Apple Cinema LCDs are digital devices.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Apple Cinema Display OR Sony GDM FW900 (What would you choose?)

Originally posted by Bear
The downsides of the 24" CRT are that it weighs a lot (can your desk support it), it generates a lot more heat than an LCD of similar proportions, it takes up more desk space and it's analog. the Apple Cinema LCDs are digital devices.

The upsides is it has a higher resolution giving it nearly 1.5x as much screen space at a very respectable refresh rate (80Hz) for the same money as the Apple display. CRTs still have a higher contrast ration also.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Now this discussion is starting to get good. :p

Both monitors are nice to me. I am inclined to go with the CRT from Sony just because there are no issues such as dead pixels, and that the color does slightly shift when viewed from different angles. But I guess what is keeping me from deciding is the actual heat factor thrown out by CRT's, and the fact that it's a big son of a gun.

So I guess if you guys say you can edit photos on it, accuratley, then there should be no problem.

jrapczak

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
It's really your money, but I'd never go back to chunky ass CRTs. Don't know why people are keep saying LCD have inaccurate color,

LCDs are innacurate for color because the hues and brightness can change significantly depending on the angle of view. The angle at which you look at a CRT has no effect on the picture at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.