Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2003
Singapore
Hi! I think I would like to buy a notebook, so that I can do some surfing, and maybe even type my reports at home, and carry around occasionally. Can you give me some advice?

I'm thinking of either getting the next 14 inch iBook (I guess it will probably come out in the end of October) or the current 12 inch PowerBook (just updated this week).

Do you think 12inch is comfortable enough to work on? Will the words on some journal papers (in pdf format) become too small?

Do you think the PowerBooks are too expensive? My friend bought an Acer Pentium Centrino with a lot of features for only S$2400.

Do you think I should get AppleCare (extended warranty)?

Do you think it is important to have audio-in jack? The current iBook only offers built-in mic but no audio-in jack. I may want to try chatting on the net.

In the end, the most important question is should I wait for the iBook or get the latest PowerBook? Is the PowerBook worth the price (I'm a poor college student and I do not do video editing at this moment)?

Thank you.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: I need notebook buying advice

I'm thinking of either getting the next 14 inch iBook (I guess it will probably come out in the end of October) or the current 12 inch PowerBook (just updated this week).

I recommend the 12" ibook because it is light, fast enough, runs cool, and looks much better than the 14" ibook. The 12" pb is not going to be much of an improvement, and will in fact be overkill for just typing and the iApps.
Do you think 12inch is comfortable enough to work on? Will the words on some journal papers (in pdf format) become too small?
Well the 12" screen will work fine, but like any computer monitor you shouldnt look at them for more than a given amount of time. As for the 12" pb, you dont get any higher resolution on it than the ibook; both are stuck at 1024x768.
Do you think the PowerBooks are too expensive? My friend bought an Acer Pentium Centrino with a lot of features for only S$2400.

Right now I think they are an excellent deal. And remember, you get what you pay for. By buying an Apple product you are getting an excellent product, and then you can mingle over here on macrumors too :) You will never get that experience in the PC world. Never..Ever ;)
Do you think I should get AppleCare (extended warranty)?

I highly recommend it on a laptop because the parts possibly needed to be replaced if need be, could cost almost as much as the laptop! If you cannot afford it right now you have a year from the purchase date of the comp to buy it. I say get the apple care.
Do you think it is important to have audio-in jack? The current iBook only offers built-in mic but no audio-in jack. I may want to try chatting on the net.

As for that, you can always use this I believe...http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html
or this http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/index.html

In the end, the most important question is should I wait for the iBook or get the latest PowerBook? Is the PowerBook worth the price (I'm a poor college student and I do not do video editing at this moment)?
Buy the 12" ibook as soon as possible. They are a great computer and you will love the portability of them too! There was just a powerbook update so if you decide you want a powerbook instead [why?] then now would also be a great time to buy.

Hope that helps

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Get an iPod too!

If you're buying an iBook or PowerBook before the end of the month, take advantage of the rebate and get an iPod for super cheap if you can :)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I think the PB (at the current combo drive price) is a great deal over the iBook (which is a little cheaper - but you loose some great features). The pb has a much better processor that will remain current for longer, a slightly more solid video card, mid-range speaker (iBook's just dont cut it), slot loading drive, airport extreme, more solid keyboard, usb 2.0 (don't underrate it), built in Bluetooth. for a few extra bucks these things are worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.