Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ac6789

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I hope someone can help me out since I've never seen this before. I have a new client who came to me after the web company she hired to create her site abandonded her project. It's been stalled for 8 months.

Anyways, she told me that she has her own domain & hosting and a preliminary site up. I went to her site and got a pop-up saying "You have entered a secured client area on company-x.com" with a user name a password. I hit cancel and her site loads. Strange...

So I wanted to see if this was some sort of redirect, I logged in via ftp and deleted the index.html. Went back to her site and as expected I got a 404 error.

So things that I've learned:
- I have access to her main site directory, changes to files reflect back on the live site
- Somehow company-x has managed to "hijack" (for lack of a better word) the domain and secure it as thier own "client area"
- my client's name servers are completely different from company-x so I would assume they also managed to "protect" her hosting? (did a whois search)
- pop-up says "secured client area on company-x.com" but ftp access and modification of files indicate that this is not so

I'm not sure what to do at this point. The client and company-x had a huge blow-out with insults and accusations so she doesn't want to go back if this can be solved without them.

Any ideas?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Well the first thing I would check is the httpd.conf file (if it's running on Apache web server) and see if there is anything in there doing redirect or is password protecting the site. I do mine that way so is definitely possible. From the little information you provided I don't think anyone has hijacked the site or server, though still possible.

I might be able to help you more if I had more information, but I'm not sure what information I would need to help, other than checking the httpd.conf file I mentioned. Not sure if you'd be able to provide any links for us to see the pop-up message, but that may help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.